Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFLDG Mock Draft 2.0
Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
Thanks for putting this together. Just this morning I was thinking that if we want to recoup that 4th, we might be better off trading back our 2nd rather than our 1st, which is what you did here. But I would do it only if Wynn, Hernandez or McGlinchey were the pick at 30. I like Goeddert, especially his hands, but if we're going to spend a 1st rounder on a TE, I want a Jordan Reed type. I'm not sure Goeddert is that guy. Plus, what impact will he have with Rudolph and Morgan ahead of him. So few rookie TEs make a difference early on. I know we need to think about post-Rudy, but I want immediate impact. A starter. 

I love the 3rd rounders. Dawson appears to be a corner ideally suited for the slot. And I much prefer taking our 4th corner in the 3rd rather than in the 1st as some are advocating. Love Corbett's flexibility to play pretty much anywhere. But I've been seeing things about Corbett that suggest there's little chance he'll still be there in the 3rd.

The rest I don't know much about yet...just haven't had as much time to "draftnik" as I usually do. I've studied only OL and RB so far...a few of the QBs. I will say that I don't like Wadley very much. He's very small and not that fast either. My favorite backs for us are Nyheim Hines whom you'll have to take no later than the 4th. And Rashaad Penny, who won't get past the 3rd. 
Goedert would immediately be the #2 TE and would be pushing Rudy pretty quickly.  The kid is for real,  if he had come from a bigger HS in a different part of the country he would have been playing for a much bigger college and he wouldnt even be questioned as to being worthy of #30.  Lots of room for improvement as I doubt he got half the position coaching at SDSU as what kids in much bigger programs receive.  I could be wrong,  but I think he is going to be one of those guys that is a Witten type.  Not overly flashy, but puts up great numbers for a lot of years.
I think that Goedert & Rudy are unique enough that they wouldn't necessarily be fighting for the same job. But I agree that there is probably some hidden upsides with DG since he hasn't had the same facilities, trainers, etc... as his power conference peers. Of course you're assuming he'd use all of the resources he'd be given, but most coaches/scouts like how hard of a worker he it.  
knowing where the kid is from personally as well as some of the people that watched him grow up and speak of him... I dont think there will be any issues with DG putting in whatever it takes to improve.  its a Dakota thing,  we may not be smart, good looking, or wealthy,  but we arent scared of work.  Theres a reason that Greenway and Kleinsasser are 2 of my favorite all time Vikings,  I know they gave everything they had all the time to our team.

Quote: @FSUVike said:
Goedert doesn't have to start to have an impact, Maroon. 

It's about having a diverse set of weapons to keep the Defense off balance. The Eagles used what, 4 WRs, 3 TEs and 3 RBs in the NFCCG. And while Celek and Hollins didn't get targeted that particular game their presence still gave Zimmer something to think about.
I realize that, but I always hope for the biggest bang for our buck in the draft, especially with that first pick, and especially for a team as close as we are. Goedert will inevitably spend a lot of time on the sidelines his first year. And then you look at the tight end position and it's rare that any have much of impact early on. Reed, Kelce, Eifert, Olsen, Fleener...none of those guys did much in their first few seasons. And Goedert's a small school guy, too, meaning his transition might be a little slower.  

I'm not going to shoot my TV if the pick is Goedert, but I just want immediate impact. Give me a guy I can use to fortify the line, help protect Cousins, blow open holes for Cook. Or a pass rusher I can add to the DL rotation to make Hunter and Griffen more effective.  You mention the Eagles...well, a big difference in that NFCC was how fresh they kept their pass rushers compared to ours. 

That guy has to be there though, Maroon. You've mentioned that the OGs available in 2 & 3 are good prospects just like Elf. So the team won't strike out if Wynn and Hernandez are gone.

Same with DEs. The more proven guys will doubtlessly be gone so now you're looking at someone with a higher bust potential like Key.

We agree about CB. Zimmer needs to work another reclamation project or find someone later. Too much draft capital uswf on that spot already. Smart roster construction isn't spending a 1st or 2nd on 4 damn Corners.

An LB to push Gedeon out that can also rush the QB and act as insurance against injury or Barr bailing is nice but a tall order near the bottom of the round.

Either someone falls, and someone always does, or McGlinchey is there and I doubt he gets past Cincinnati. Id you want to continue to help the Offense whike taking into account that good Interior Linemen will be available in the 2nd than TE makes a ton of sense.

I like it!  Not sure about Harrison but he tested well so it does show he is very athletic. 

Norton is interesting as long as he does not get knocked down and out by George Foreman.

Maybe Poling will be the next Zach Thomas or London Fletcher?

I've been pounding the table for a move TE for years.  I wanted Hunter Henry over Treadwell.
I sorta like Goedert in the 3rd, but I'm hearing he's considered Top 50.
I could be talked into it, but I'd take a long look at Hurst (who I happen to think is better), Giesicki, Andrews, Herndon, and Indiana's Ian Thomas.
A sleeper might be local boy Damon Gipson.

I would be stunned and pretty disappointed if Goedert was our pick in round 1. I would rather trade down for more picks or up for a better pick. 

Quote: @kahsmick said:
I've been pounding the table for a move TE for years.  I wanted Hunter Henry over Treadwell.
I sorta like Goedert in the 3rd, but I'm hearing he's considered Top 50.
I could be talked into it, but I'd take a long look at Hurst (who I happen to think is better), Giesicki, Andrews, Herndon, and Indiana's Ian Thomas.
A sleeper might be local boy Damon Gipson.
Goedert will be top 35, if not top 25.  to much empty canvas there with an already impressive picture for him not to go early.  Kind of like Wentz,  many were suspicious because of coming from the same conference, but the kid can play the game.  Think of the Missouri Valley conference as the new gold rush,  all these kids from the upper plains states that have been not scouted for years... are getting their day in the sun!  or maybe a few overlooked talents are getting noticed since their schools went D1.

Quote: @dadevike said:
I would be stunned and pretty disappointed if Goedert was our pick in round 1. I would rather trade down for more picks or up for a better pick. 
whys that?  if the kid is a solid talent at a position of need (and nothing helps a QB more than a TE with solid hands)  why not Goedert?  Who do you expect to trade up for and at what cost,  and what do you expect to find at a lower pick that will be able to come in and elevate our offense under Flipper?

I dont move up for the kid,  but if he's there and some of the blue chips dont fall,  hell yes you grab him and cross off your #1 and #2 TE position for the next 4-5 years.  i dont see moving down being a big gainer for us either unless some crazy shit happens in the middle picks or some team gets stupid.

with all this craziness,  I doubt very seriously that DG gets to us,  there are teams that know how to use the TE and are in need of one that will grab him in the 20s.

Quote: @dadevike said:
Because we dont need another pass catcher and red zone threat or because we TE isnt a need or because you dont like Geodert in general?

Quote: @Poiple said:
@dadevike said:
Because we dont need another pass catcher and red zone threat or because we TE isnt a need or because you dont like Geodert in general?
or because hes a kid from from Britton, SD who played for a hardly known college in a hardly known conference?