Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uncle Gil Has Been Spiking His Ensure
If we were looking for a RT, McGlinchey is who I wanted.  I've liked his games I've watched.  It isn't perfect, but to me, he doesn't have unfixable problems either.  I think he'd be a great fit on our line.  Not sure he's a top 10 selection, but I'm holding out about zero hope he's available when we pick.  If he gets into the 20's, I see a couple of teams that would gladly turn in his name.   

Quote: @AllBS said:
If we were looking for a RT, McGlinchey is who I wanted.  I've liked his games I've watched.  It isn't perfect, but to me, he doesn't have unfixable problems either.  I think he'd be a great fit on our line.  Not sure he's a top 10 selection, but I'm holding out about zero hope he's available when we pick.  If he gets into the 20's, I see a couple of teams that would gladly turn in his name.   
The whole issue is whether or not he's a top 10 pick. There's some serious disagreement on that. Some (Roto, Brandt) think he's top 10, others think he's more of a 25 to 40 player. I fall into the 2nd category. That said, the tackles are terrible this year, so if he's there at 30 it would be hard to pass on him. 

Yeah, this tackle class isn't quite what I had hoped for, but it's still an upgrade on last year...

Brown is not even a first round consideration in my opinion. He sucked at the combine and he didn't do any
better at his Pro Day. That leaves McGlinchey and Miller as the only two tackle prospects worthy of a first round
grade so I can see why both of them keep getting pushed further up draft boards. Williams and Wynn are being viewed as guards, not Tackles. I don't think McGlinchey or Miller are worth trading up to get. We will have to overpay. I'm happy staying at 30 and taking Price, Wynn, Daniels, Williams, Hernandez, etc. or trading down if one of the QB's like Rudolph is sitting there at 30 and a QB hungry team makes us a nice deal with an early 2nd and 4th round pick offer. We could quite possibly score 2 immediate starters from those 2nd round picks.  

Quote: @TBro said:
Brown is not even a first round consideration in my opinion. He sucked at the combine and he didn't do any
better at his Pro Day.  
Watch him play football. 

Here's a blurb from a scout (swiped from an eagles site) that got me thinking... 

2018 NFL Draft: Here are three sleeper prospects who could be drafted in first round - CBS Sports
OK, this one’s not exactly a sleeper. Everyone knows Orlando Brown by now and how he was considered the best left tackle in the nation at the start of the season and probably right up until his disastrous combine. And it was a disaster. And it will cost him millions ... I’m just not convinced its going to know him down to the mid-rounds as many would suggest. The kid is massive, his dad was an impact offensive lineman, and he played against some of the best competition in college and he dominated. Obviously, there are concerns, but in a draft this bereft of tackles -- and where the perceived top one, Notre Dame’s Mike McGlinchey, is more solid than spectacular and some teams think he may have to play on the right side -- there are really gonna be 100 kids taken before him? “He is the best left tackle in this draft and it’s not even close,” one scout told me. “Just watch the tape. Go back to the tape. He doesn’t get beat. They can’t get around him. Yeah, his 40 [yard dash] was horrible, but look at the first 10 yards. It’s much better. What tackle is running more than 10 yards?” If I was doing a mock today I would be tempted to slot him 32nd to the Eagles (with Jason Peters nearing the end). Yeah, he might not ever get stronger and he wont be able to get by on size alone at the next level, and there is bust potential, but he’s also 6-feet-7 and a first-team All American playing a premium position in a draft with almost no short things at left tackle. I don’t think his slide will be as long as others seem to believe it will be.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@TBro said:
better at his Pro Day.  
Watch him play football. 

Here's a blurb from a scout (swiped from an eagles site) that got me thinking... 

2018 NFL Draft: Here are three sleeper prospects who could be drafted in first round - CBS Sports
OK, this one’s not exactly a sleeper. Everyone knows Orlando Brown by now and how he was considered the best left tackle in the nation at the start of the season and probably right up until his disastrous combine. And it was a disaster. And it will cost him millions ... I’m just not convinced its going to know him down to the mid-rounds as many would suggest. The kid is massive, his dad was an impact offensive lineman, and he played against some of the best competition in college and he dominated. Obviously, there are concerns, but in a draft this bereft of tackles -- and where the perceived top one, Notre Dame’s Mike McGlinchey, is more solid than spectacular and some teams think he may have to play on the right side -- there are really gonna be 100 kids taken before him? “He is the best left tackle in this draft and it’s not even close,” one scout told me. “Just watch the tape. Go back to the tape. He doesn’t get beat. They can’t get around him. Yeah, his 40 [yard dash] was horrible, but look at the first 10 yards. It’s much better. What tackle is running more than 10 yards?” If I was doing a mock today I would be tempted to slot him 32nd to the Eagles (with Jason Peters nearing the end). Yeah, he might not ever get stronger and he wont be able to get by on size alone at the next level, and there is bust potential, but he’s also 6-feet-7 and a first-team All American playing a premium position in a draft with almost no short things at left tackle. I don’t think his slide will be as long as others seem to believe it will be.
I hope the Vikings aren't thinking that.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@TBro said:
better at his Pro Day.  
Watch him play football. 

I'll be honest MB, I haven't watched every snap of his so my opinion is limited. His game tape is definitely better than his workouts, but they also show inconsistency. Many Scouts think he is a mixed bag. Just his size alone made him an intimidating pass protector and difficult to get around him in time to get to the QB. That may work in College, but a lot of scouting reports I have read don't feel he can consistently win in Pass Protection at the next level without help. Many Scouts feel he is also better suited to play RT but he has said he has no interest in switching to the Right Side. Plenty of good pass rushers in the NFL that would test him at RT as well. I wasn't suggesting he shouldn't be drafted, but there is no way I would risk our first round pick on him. We need a day 1 starter on the line and I'm not sure where you put him. He isn't going to replace Reiff at LT. You would be stuck moving him to RT and kick Remmers to the inside when he doesn't have any experience on the right and said he has no interest in moving. I also think he is a questionable fit for what DeFelippo wants to run with his OLine. He's definitely worth a 2nd or early 3rd for a team that needs a Left Tackle and is willing to take a risk with the pick. Pedigree doesn't always translate into success in the NFL. We found that out first hand with Kalil. 

In a very limited sample size, what I saw of Brown was underwhelming...sloth like...seemed disinterested...Not a finisher...So I'll take more stock in what others have seen...but might first impression was utter shock...

Quote: @TBro said:
@MaroonBells said:
@TBro said:
better at his Pro Day.  
Watch him play football. 

I'll be honest MB, I haven't watched every snap of his so my opinion is limited. His game tape is definitely better than his workouts, but they also show inconsistency. Many Scouts think he is a mixed bag. Just his size alone made him an intimidating pass protector and difficult to get around him in time to get to the QB. That may work in College, but a lot of scouting reports I have read don't feel he can consistently win in Pass Protection at the next level without help. Many Scouts feel he is also better suited to play RT but he has said he has no interest in switching to the Right Side. Plenty of good pass rushers in the NFL that would test him at RT as well. I wasn't suggesting he shouldn't be drafted, but there is no way I would risk our first round pick on him. We need a day 1 starter on the line and I'm not sure where you put him. He isn't going to replace Reiff at LT. You would be stuck moving him to RT and kick Remmers to the inside when he doesn't have any experience on the right and said he has no interest in moving. I also think he is a questionable fit for what DeFelippo wants to run with his OLine. He's definitely worth a 2nd or early 3rd for a team that needs a Left Tackle and is willing to take a risk with the pick. Pedigree doesn't always translate into success in the NFL. We found that out first hand with Kalil. 
He won't be a LT regardless of where he goes. He doesn't have the quickness to kick out and engage the better speed rushers in the game. But if you factor in his combine performance a bit and watch the tape he'll be off the board sometime in the late 2nd / early 3rd. Is it possible he falls to the beginning of day 3? Probably. But I don't think it's likely. 

When I watched 4 games worth of his tape I don't think his combine workout was indicative of the player he is. He isn't very athletic and wasn't asked to use much if any athleticism at Oklahoma. From a play standpoint he isn't going to be asked to pull much and do anything in space which really eliminates a majority of his combine tests. At the snap if he is able to get his hands on you its incredibly tough to get his hands off since they're so heavy and long. Regardless of how strong he really is he erases rushers with leverage since his play strength is more than adequate. He also shows adequate play strength when working downhill in the run game. When he tries (effort is a concern) he can put D-lineman and LB's on skates. The biggest issue in the NFL will be against speed rushers on the right side. When he misses his initial punch he doesn't have the athleticism to re-set and massage the rusher back into the pocket. Some technique cleanup probably mitigates that a bit, but you aren't going to completely rid yourself of the issue. 

Ultimately, after round one he is probably your best bet to find a starting RT. He isn't the great prospect many made him out to be early in the process, but he isn't nearly as bad as his combine performance suggested either. 

I think he's Phil Loadholt.