Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
7 Rounder I Could Live With
Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
@"dadevike" said:
Replace the Hubbard pick with a CB and that would be a really good draft.
Why? A CB in the first wouldn't play meaningful snaps until 2019, probably more like 2020. While a DL could work his way into a rotation that just lost a couple rotational players. 

To me, this pick should go to the OL that just lost one starter, and has two other starters returning from injury. 
I'm not convinced a first round CB will not contribute this season. Waynes was not a sound CB coming out of college. He relied on his speed and the fact that CBs can get away with a lot more contact in college - plus a PI penalty in college is limited to 15 yards.  He has become a good CB. Mac has had to learn a new position. He was not a slot CB at Clemson.  (He also was not taken in the first.)
We at least have a backup or two on the roster that we like at DE. We have nothing behind Rhodes, Waynes, and Mac. I shudder every time Sherels comes in to play CB.
As for the OL, I have not heard any concerns about Easton's or Elf's return from injury. If they cannot go, then that could certainly affect how we draft. But I am assuming they come back at full strength. So we lost Berger to retirement and a backup in Sirles. But we signed Evans and Compton.  And is it reasonable to assume that Isidora and Hill will continue to develop?
OL would be an OK pick. But there are more good OL in this draft than good CBs. My preference, all else equal, is CB in the first, OL in the second.

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
Would love to see Callaway here...Gotta draft a tail-back, seems late for one. Not sure how deep this rb class is or not. 
I don't think Callaway will even be on our draft board.  Spielman had said in the past that they've passed on some talented football players due to character concerns. This guy has turd written all over him.
I do not get how we treat these 7th round picks like they are every bit as valuable as a first round pick. On a team like the Vikings have, it is tough for a 7th rounder to make the roster, let alone make an impact.  If you take a flier on a talented player and it does not work out, so be it. Cut him. Move on. Next.
I remember not long ago hoping the Vikings would spend a 7th on La'el Collins. He had threatened to sit out a year. Could he even afford to do that once LSU was not going to be housing or feeding him?  We passed. Cowboys signed him after the draft. He is working out well for them.  He could have been ours. He would not have sat out. But even if he had, it was worth the gamble.
I doubt that Calloway will be there in the 7th. But if he is, he is worth the gamble. It may fail. Gambles sometimes do. So do sure-things.

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
Sam Hubbard, a DE? Hmmm, but if the Vikings can sign Hunter to a 4 year extension, we have our starting DEs under contract through 2021.
Most of the mocks I'm seeing include either a DE to replace Hunter, CB to replace Waynes, or LB to replace Barr. Has it become a widespread assumption the Vikings have totally mismanaged their salary cap plan and have to spend draft capital to plan for a mass exodus of talent after the 2018 season?
Do I think Hubbard is the type of DE they're looking for? Probably not. But you really need to be 3-4 deep at DE to have a solid rotation. You also want to have a good mix of speed/power. It's almost like having a change of pace back but on the defensive line instead. As the league has become more pass driven teams have figured this out. 

Its not that you need a DE to replace Hunter or a CB to replace Waynes. You need a DE since Robison is a year from retirement and you need a year to develop a DE to make a real impact. Waynes is a whole different story since his 5th year option at $10M isn't a given. Corners need a year to develop and they honestly need the depth. Currently if any of Rhodes, Waynes, or Alexander went down they'd be completely screwed. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"Jor-El" said:
Sam Hubbard, a DE? Hmmm, but if the Vikings can sign Hunter to a 4 year extension, we have our starting DEs under contract through 2021.
Most of the mocks I'm seeing include either a DE to replace Hunter, CB to replace Waynes, or LB to replace Barr. Has it become a widespread assumption the Vikings have totally mismanaged their salary cap plan and have to spend draft capital to plan for a mass exodus of talent after the 2018 season?
Do I think Hubbard is the type of DE they're looking for? Probably not. But you really need to be 3-4 deep at DE to have a solid rotation. You also want to have a good mix of speed/power. It's almost like having a change of pace back but on the defensive line instead. As the league has become more pass driven teams have figured this out. 

Its not that you need a DE to replace Hunter or a CB to replace Waynes. You need a DE since Robison is a year from retirement and you need a year to develop a DE to make a real impact. Waynes is a whole different story since his 5th year option at $10M isn't a given. Corners need a year to develop and they honestly need the depth. Currently if any of Rhodes, Waynes, or Alexander went down they'd be completely screwed. 
Geoff,  Are you hearing any rumbling from the team on BRob?  We heard a rumor that he was approached to take a pay cut at the same time as Murry was approached but we havent heard that the team either recinded that request or that BRob has accepted any restructured contract.  What is happening with our longest tenured Viking?

I kind of look for The Rick to take a different path this year than some others.  We are now a team that doesn't need a glut of young talent, but is more in need of a few select pieces here and there.  For that reason, although I expect him to trade out of round one, I think he'll do more trading up than down and we may not come away with all that many players.

That said, this draft would be a fine outcome. 

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"Jor-El" said:

Geoff,  Are you hearing any rumbling from the team on BRob?  We heard a rumor that he was approached to take a pay cut at the same time as Murry was approached but we havent heard that the team either recinded that request or that BRob has accepted any restructured contract.  What is happening with our longest tenured Viking?
 I haven't heard anything lately. The team isn't in a hurry to clear cap space so I'd imagine the decision is more in Brian's court if he wants to return for another season or not. 

I could live with that draft without blowing a hissy fit.  Not sure I'm all in on Hubbard in 1 or the WR pick (just because he's a moron) but if they were selected, I'd cheer for their success

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"Jor-El" said:

I haven't heard anything lately. The team isn't in a hurry to clear cap space so I'd imagine the decision is more in Brian's court if he wants to return for another season or not. 
why if the team isnt needing the cap space are they beating up a seasoned vet in what hes called his last year?  how much are they hoping to save?  I think (if they honestly went to BRob)  that this is pure shit and fails to show any class from the organization.  IIRC Brian took a pay cut last year didnt he to reflect his reduced role however he still ended up playing a shit ton of snaps for a veteran reserve player and filled a very important role when he was on the field.  I wish the team wouldnt do its loyal players like this.  Its not like he is on a monster contract to begin with.

personally if I was BRob I would have my agent looking into other options,  sure the Vikes are a team on the verge, but theyve been there so many times in the past.  tell Rick to shove it up his ass and play out my last year in another teams colors.  preferably one that is in contention and has the Vikings on the schedule.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"Jor-El" said:

why if the team isnt needing the cap space are they beating up a seasoned vet in what hes called his last year?  how much are they hoping to save?  I think (if they honestly went to BRob)  that this is pure shit and fails to show any class from the organization.  IIRC Brian took a pay cut last year didnt he to reflect his reduced role however he still ended up playing a shit ton of snaps for a veteran reserve player and filled a very important role when he was on the field.  I wish the team wouldnt do its loyal players like this.  Its not like he is on a monster contract to begin with.

personally if I was BRob I would have my agent looking into other options,  sure the Vikes are a team on the verge, but theyve been there so many times in the past.  tell Rick to shove it up his ass and play out my last year in another teams colors.  preferably one that is in contention and has the Vikings on the schedule.
I cannot find any articles (that are legitimate) that speculate about the Vikings considering asking BRob to take another cut this year.  I do not see how they are doing him wrong.  I expect that they think he is returning since he is under contract.

If he changes his mind, so be it.  Hopefully it would be before the draft so that they can plan accordingly.

I always believed they should have trade Edwards instead of keeping him another year because they probably would have done better than a 4th round comp pick based on the contract Edwards signed and Robison was ready to play.

I think that people forget about how the Vikings did Winfield and then did not let Hutchinson get his last year either.

Sometimes it is just business but I expect Robison will play under his current deal next year.

Quote: @"MarkSP18" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"Jor-El" said:

I cannot find any articles (that are legitimate) that speculate about the Vikings considering asking BRob to take another cut this year.  I do not see how they are doing him wrong.  I expect that they think he is returning since he is under contract.

If he changes his mind, so be it.  Hopefully it would be before the draft so that they can plan accordingly.

I always believed they should have trade Edwards instead of keeping him another year because they probably would have done better than a 4th round comp pick based on the contract Edwards signed and Robison was ready to play.

I think that people forget about how the Vikings did Winfield and then did not let Hutchinson get his last year either.

Sometimes it is just business but I expect Robison will play under his current deal next year.
it was put out at the same time that Murray was asked to restructure or be released.   I dont think much is put into "articles" anymore,  most the minor news like this is twitter fodder until something solid is out there like the team cutting him or the contract getting redone so they can spin it positively.   I hate the fully guranteed contracts of baseball,  but I am starting to think that pro sports would be much better if teams and players were locked into their commitments.  No more pulling the rug out from under vets and no more bull shit about holding out for more,  once a deal is reached its a done deal until it expires.