Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Draft Thought
Agree the OL has been a problem child for far too long...But I wont be upset with a DL pick in Rd1, not after the carnage in Philly and how our DL wore-down just in time for the playoffs. 

I think there is good value to be had for OL rd 2-4 too. Good players, not just "value"

If this team gets to the SB in the next year or 2, it will probably trace to a great DL and good OL. Richardson gives me hope for "great" DL. 

Quote: @"SmashmouthD" said:
If we draft a CB with our first pick, we probably won't sign one of Waynes or Alexander to an extension.  The money saved could allow us to sign Richardson instead.

As hard as it is to find and prepare a CB for Zimmer's scheme, finding a 3T of Richardson's ability is even harder.  So it definitely makes sense.

Also, there should be a decent OG for us at our pick in the second round.
couldnt the same be said about LB, or DE and not resigning Barr, Kendricks, or Hunter?

I dont think our draft pick this year is any indication of who they want to resign or pass on when it comes to our own free agents coming up.  

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"SmashmouthD" said:
If we draft a CB with our first pick, we probably won't sign one of Waynes or Alexander to an extension.  The money saved could allow us to sign Richardson instead.

As hard as it is to find and prepare a CB for Zimmer's scheme, finding a 3T of Richardson's ability is even harder.  So it definitely makes sense.

couldnt the same be said about LB, or DE and not resigning Barr, Kendricks, or Hunter?

I dont think our draft pick this year is any indication of who they want to resign or pass on when it comes to our own free agents coming up.  
It could.  It's just riskier, that's all.  If you draft one CB, you then can choose among one of two FAs to keep (Waynes & Alexander).  If you decide to draft a replacement for Barr or for Kendricks, then you better be right because that guy is starting in 2019.

Also, I think Barr and Kendricks are more important to the team and harder to replace than either Waynes or Alexander.  And the savings might be greater, too.

Hell, as desperate as teams get for CBs, we may not be able to re-sign Waynes, given our cap situation.  Better to draft a player a year early.

@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"SmashmouthD" said:

It could.  It's just riskier, that's all.  If you draft one CB, you then can choose among one of two FAs to keep (Waynes & Alexander).  If you decide to draft a replacement for Barr or for Kendricks, then you better be right because that guy is starting in 2019.

Also, I think Barr and Kendricks are more important to the team and harder to replace than either Waynes or Alexander.  And the savings might be greater, too.

Hell, as desperate as teams get for CBs, we may not be able to re-sign Waynes, given our cap situation.  Better to draft a player a year early.
i think its absurd to let Waynes walk if Zim is happy with his play.  Zim has stated many times its hard to find a CB that fits what he needs so if they are so hard to find then when we have 1 that is proven then they need to pay that guy.  drafting a guy this year is hardly likely to have shown enough in a reserve role to let Waynes walk next offseason.  I dont think Alexander is going to pull big money so using a first to replace him would be a waste of a first rounder IMO.

Personally I think Barr will be the most expensive of the bunch if you want to try and find a real value by drafting a first round replacement for an upcoming FA.

Another thought would be to let Diggs walk.  He's going to get over-paid by someone.  Might be better to draft a mid-round somebody this year, or wait until next year and hope for a better WR class.  We'll be drafting late, but we'll have some draft capital to move up if we want to.

Doing so would allow you to get 1-2 OL pieces in the first 3 rounds this year.  And I'd still take a CB early.

(BTW -- my thinking in all of this is that someone isn't getting re-signed.  I want to keep Richardson and draft a player this year that can start next year.)

Another thought would be to let Diggs walk.  He's going to get over-paid by someone.  Might be better to draft a mid-round somebody this year, or wait until next year and hope for a better WR class.  We'll be drafting late, but we'll have some draft capital to move up if we want to.

Doing so would allow you to get 1-2 OL pieces in the first 3 rounds this year.  And I'd still take a CB early.

(BTW -- my thinking in all of this is that someone isn't getting re-signed.  I want to keep Richardson and draft a player this year that can start next year.)
wouldnt the team be better off to look for Richardsons replacement in the draft since he is likely to show the least loyalty,  and command top dollar?

Quote: @"AGRforever" said:
The question I have is: Is Zimmer all that good of a D guru if a good chunk of the $$ and high draft picks are all spent on D?  Could someone else get similar production with such a slant toward D players?
How many coaches have turned a teams defense around from 32nd in the NFL to 1st as quick as Zimmer has ? That should answer your question.

@"SmashmouthD" said:

wouldnt the team be better off to look for Richardsons replacement in the draft since he is likely to show the least loyalty,  and command top dollar?
I agree about Richardson being less likely to stay with the Vikings. He thought he deserved $15M this year, so he is aiming to establish a higher value for 2019. But he might decide he likes playing on this line.
Re "let Diggs walk": scary for those of us who lived through the years from Moss to Diggs when we couldn't find any decent WRs. Could the Vikings draft DJ Moore as a replacement for Diggs?

@"SmashmouthD" said:

I'd be surprised if Richardson doesn't explode in this defense. And at 27 years old, and probably more raw talent than anyone else on that line, he might be the guy you choose to go long with. 

Of course a lot will depend on how he fits into the culture, and also what Jaleel Johnson looks like in his 2nd season. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"SmashmouthD" said:

I'd be surprised if Richardson doesn't explode in this defense. And at 27 years old, and probably more raw talent than anyone else on that line, he might be the guy you choose to go long with. 

Of course a lot will depend on how he fits into the culture, and also what Jaleel Johnson looks like in his 2nd season. 
I think that is why it ended up mutually working out for both sides to do a one year deal. Richardson gets an opportunity to show he's worth big money with a strong supporting cast. The Vikings get a year to get to know him (he's had past issues) before locking him up long-term.