• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possibly Trumps smartest move yet as President
Smartest would be Gorsuch.  

Quote: @"A1Janitor" said:
Smartest would be Gorsuch.  
another smart choice as it appears.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
Single payer is the only way to solve the healthcare problem. 
possibly,  but if you ask my family what they think of govt provided health care (VA)  I think you will likely get a much different answer
Then your family would probably prefer Private health care, because that would still be available.

Quote: @"Bolstad79" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
possibly,  but if you ask my family what they think of govt provided health care (VA)  I think you will likely get a much different answer
Then your family would probably prefer Private health care, because that would still be available.
i dont see it happening.  as the govt digs deeper into the industry they will control one source ( even if it is private) and likely kill the rest through regulation.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
Single payer is not government-provided healthcare. In fact, many of the VA's biggest problems would be eliminated in a single-payer system. In a single-payer system the government pays all the bills but does not own, operate or staff any of the health care providers. The VA's biggest delays come from its administration, red tape, determining who qualifies and who doesn't. All of that goes away in single-payer. 
why would the govt allow a for profit company when they think they can do health care?  if we went to a single payer system i am fairly certain that the facilities would end up being run like the VA where you are nothing more than a number and the level of service will go in the shitter.
Wha?? Government isn't involved in the care side of the single-payer model. 

This is a pretty easy topic to research.  Just google.
   "us healthcare system compared to other countries"
   "how does single payer health care work"
   "ranking of world healthcare by country"
Pick a country that has good statistics/results and see how they achieve it and what value they put on it.
If you don't know whats out there by now, that's on you.  Figure out opinion from fact and get over the someone getting a free ride at your expense, and put it in the context of how do I not go bankrupt if I or someone in my family gets sick.

Quote: @"Bolstad79" said:
Wouldn't want to fix anything, Merica way.  

We can't fix the insurance companies because that's how politicians support their campaigns.

We can't fix Pharmaceutical companies because politicians also get support from them.
I'm currently working my way through this book.  It's a straightforward read but I can only manage a few pages at a time before I'm too pissed off to keep reading.  

https://www.amazon.com/American-Sickness-Healthcare-Became-Business/dp/1594206759/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1500416699&sr=8-2&keywords=healthcare+business

Quote: @"badgervike" said:
I know the Republicans and Trump ran on repealing and replacing but the reality is that it's almost impossible to take away entitlements...particularly given the liberal bent of the MSM.  How many articles have been written about loss of coverage and how many people would DIE because of the potential replacement bills.  The ACA is in a death spiral with coverage options going away and costs spiraling.  As that spiral continues this year, those issues will become even more profound.  Some early projections for 2018 include total loss of coverage in some areas and increases in costs by 100% or more.  This has been pure political theatre...any fair minded individual will tell you the ACA is a bad piece of legislation with its coverage mandates and total lack of cost reduction and options in the bill.  My personal opinion is that it is a law that was always intended to fail....

Access to quality, affordable healthcare is not an
entitlement, it’s essential for human dignity and is necessary to promote the
general welfare for you, me and all of our fellow citizens.  
If the ACA fails it will be due to two things (in my view).  The first is because as you point out, it failed to address the cost of healthcare (which is unbelievably out of control).  The second would be due to the refusal by red states to participate--a strategy, by the way that was both brilliant and corrupt on the Republican's part.  
1) Refuse to participate in the design, development and rollout, 
2) Bemoan it's shortcomings to your voters to undermine the credibility of the program so as to
3) Drive down consumer participation to make it insolvent.
4) Point to the outcome that you helped create as proof that it wasn't going to work anyway.

Yep,  it wouldn't become corrupt in the US...that would be unheard of.

Quote: @"Vikeshrink" said:
@"badgervike" said:
I know the Republicans and Trump ran on repealing and replacing but the reality is that it's almost impossible to take away entitlements...particularly given the liberal bent of the MSM.  How many articles have been written about loss of coverage and how many people would DIE because of the potential replacement bills.  The ACA is in a death spiral with coverage options going away and costs spiraling.  As that spiral continues this year, those issues will become even more profound.  Some early projections for 2018 include total loss of coverage in some areas and increases in costs by 100% or more.  This has been pure political theatre...any fair minded individual will tell you the ACA is a bad piece of legislation with its coverage mandates and total lack of cost reduction and options in the bill.  My personal opinion is that it is a law that was always intended to fail....

Access to quality, affordable healthcare is not an
entitlement, it’s essential for human dignity and is necessary to promote the
general welfare for you, me and all of our fellow citizens.  
If the ACA fails it will be due to two things (in my view).  The first is because as you point out, it failed to address the cost of healthcare (which is unbelievably out of control).  The second would be due to the refusal by red states to participate--a strategy, by the way that was both brilliant and corrupt on the Republican's part.  
1) Refuse to participate in the design, development and rollout, 
2) Bemoan it's shortcomings to your voters to undermine the credibility of the program so as to
3) Drive down consumer participation to make it insolvent.
4) Point to the outcome that you helped create as proof that it wasn't going to work anyway.
The results in the blue states make me damn grateful that my red state abstained.  I feel sorry for Minnesotans and what the ACA has done to their health care costs.

As far as dignity...where's the dignity in getting unearned  things off the hard work of others?