Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legal Tampering period is coming up...
Quote: @pumpf said:
@dadevike said:
Barr of 2017 was pretty damn good. We need him.

Barr was 53rd in total tackles.  And his 6 passes defensed puts him pretty far down the list from the top, too.  He only had 1 sack.  So... why do we need him?

PFF has him as the 20th ranked linebacker. 
Some people don't care for PFF rankings.  Zimmer seems to be one of them.  So here is Zimmer talking about Barr: “He’s having a great year. He’s playing really good. He’s been very active, he’s on top of things, he makes a lot of checks for the defense and things going on on the field. He’s been physical, very active in really all phases of the game.”

Quote: @pumpf said:
@dadevike said:

Barr was 53rd in total tackles.  And his 6 passes defensed puts him pretty far down the list from the top, too.  He only had 1 sack.  So... why do we need him?
Here's a big reason: B)
[Image: randball-aaron-rodgers-injury-adds-anoth...crop=faces]

Quote: @dadevike said:
Cousins said he is going to take at least one or two visits when FA opens.  Unless Cousins and the Vikes announce they have a deal as soon as FA opens, why not take the 3 years and $90M we supposedly have for Cousins and (quietly) offer it to Brees at the same time? Give him a VERY small window to decide.  The worst he can say is no thanks. If nothing else, he can probably use it to exteact more money from N.O. and I'm ok with that.

But if he says yes .... who is going to complain about paying Brees $30M a year?

It's a pipe dream, I know. But stranger things have happened.
Because there is no 3 year $90M deal  Wink

But don't worry, teams are well aware of Brees' situation. Tom Condon has plenty of clients and teams he has great relationships with. 

Quote: @dadevike said:
@pumpf said:
@dadevike said:

PFF has him as the 20th ranked linebacker. 
Some people don't care for PFF rankings.  Zimmer seems to be one of them.  So here is Zimmer talking about Barr: “He’s having a great year. He’s playing really good. He’s been very active, he’s on top of things, he makes a lot of checks for the defense and things going on on the field. He’s been physical, very active in really all phases of the game.”
Barr is a nice player and Zims comments show that he is well regarded.  i wanted Aaron Donald with that pick but Barr was not a miss.  He’s soft for my taste and definately not a downhill guy.   I think Kendricks and Waynes are more valuable players and that may leave  Barr a free agent when the time comes

Barr has a lot of talent. I agree he is not as violent as he should be for a LBer with his speed. He is not Bobby Wagner. My bigger problem with Barr is he sometimes seems disinterested. But when he fully engaged, he is pretty disruptive.

I think a lot of people use words like "soft", "disinterested", or "not violent" about Barr because the Vikings' defensive scheme stresses control and assignment discipline, and that approach does not foster "fiery Wildman" defenders. Even Smith can seem fairly quiet for long stretches, but he's maintaining his responsibilities. I don't think Zimmer would tolerate anyone who took a "sack the QB at any cost" approach, though that pads stats.
Funny how the Bengals have had a lot of defenders whose uncontrolled play has cost the team. Maybe Vontaze Burfict just worsened since Zimmer left, though I thought he was dirty his first couple years too.

On a team oriented D it's not about sacks and individual tackles especially if you are charged with calling the sets---did you fill your role and put others in place to succeed as a D
And did you play to the whistle on a certain putrid and urine colored guy