Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legal Tampering period is coming up...
Cousins said he is going to take at least one or two visits when FA opens.  Unless Cousins and the Vikes announce they have a deal as soon as FA opens, why not take the 3 years and $90M we supposedly have for Cousins and (quietly) offer it to Brees at the same time? Give him a VERY small window to decide.  The worst he can say is no thanks. If nothing else, he can probably use it to exteact more money from N.O. and I'm ok with that.

But if he says yes .... who is going to complain about paying Brees $30M a year?

It's a pipe dream, I know. But stranger things have happened.

brees isnt IMO as impressive as he once was, but IMO he is still worth more than cousins... IMO.

As much as I would very much love this dream scenario, it will never happen. Brees has already said he wants to stay in NOLA. He's absolutely a part of that city. 

Quote: @prairieghost said:
As much as I would very much love this dream scenario, it will never happen. Brees has already said he wants to stay in NOLA. He's absolutely a part of that city. 
I know, but crazy things happen.  Not long ago Stafford became the highest paid QB in NFL history.  Then Jimmy G, after starting a handful of games, became the richest paid player ever. Now Cousins is looking to top Garappolo. Even Keenum could potentially sign a $20+M a year deal. Now Rodgers is waiting to see where the numbers fall. Brees is, too. They must be thinking they are as good as or better than everyone I just named. They are certainly more accomplished. Why shouldn't they get paid?

And N.O. is not quite as flush with cap space as Minnesota.  Brees wants to stay in N.O., but only to a point.  And if nothing else, offering him $90M guaranteed might make N.O. pay more than they would like.

Quote: @dadevike said:
@prairieghost said:
I know, but crazy things happen.  Not long ago Stafford became the highest paid QB in NFL history.  Then Jimmy G, after starting a handful of games, became the richest paid player ever. Now Cousins is looking to top Garappolo. Even Keenum could potentially sign a $20+M a year deal. Now Rodgers is waiting to see where the numbers fall. Brees is, too. They must be thinking they are as good as or better than everyone I just named. They are certainly more accomplished. Why shouldn't they get paid?

And N.O. is not quite as flush with cap space as Minnesota.  Brees wants to stay in N.O., but only to a point.  And if nothing else, offering him $90M guaranteed might make N.O. pay more than they would like.

If it did happen, I'd be pretty stoked. It'd kind of be like getting Favre in 2009 but I think we have a better team to put around Brees now than we did for Favre then...certainly a better O-line and D.

1. Minnesota Vikings (five No. 1 votes)The case for: They’re the best team on this list and are built to win now and for several years. They’ve proved they can build through the draft, and they have an owner, Zygi Wilf, willing to spend. If winning is the goal -- and becoming the San Antonio Spurs of the NFL, as Cousins once said he wants -- then this is a no-brainer. Another factor: the reciprocity tax, which means workers in Minnesota who are Michigan residents can pay their income tax to Michigan. Cousins owns a home in Michigan, which means instead of paying an income tax of 9.85 percent to Minnesota he’d be on the hook for only 4.25 percent. By the way, New Jersey’s income tax rate is 8.97 percent. Just sayin'. Finally, while the NFC North also includes quarterbacks Aaron Rodgers and Matthew Stafford, their respective teams need more help. The Vikings are in a three-year Super Bowl window, and that would match the length of Cousins' contract.
The case against: There really isn’t one, other than another team topping their offer and the Vikings pulling out. They need to know sooner rather than later so they don’t lose out on re-signing Case Keenum. Cousins would be a substantial investment for Minnesota, but the Vikings still have some cap flexibility in future seasons; they have a projected $78 million available in 2019, for example, when a handful of players’ deals end. They can plan ahead and extend a year earlier. See? It’s all positive for Minnesota.

The future cap flexibility is something that I didn't know about.  That certainly makes it "possible" to pay for Cousins- if we want him- without having to break up the old gang.  Frankly, I think we could move on from Barr without losing much.  I'd like to see the other defensive players all get paid.  And I think they will.

Barr of 2017 was pretty damn good. We need him.

Cousins said he is going to take at least one or two visits when FA opens.  Unless Cousins and the Vikes announce they have a deal as soon as FA opens, why not take the 3 years and $90M we supposedly have for Cousins and (quietly) offer it to Brees at the same time? Give him a VERY small window to decide.  The worst he can say is no thanks. If nothing else, he can probably use it to exteact more money from N.O. and I'm ok with that.

But if he says yes .... who is going to complain about paying Brees $30M a year?

It's a pipe dream, I know. But stranger things have happened.
Brees...Never.
First, he's about to fall off a ledge physically. Sure, he looked good in the 2nd half of our playoff game, but Saints fans thought he had increasing instances of weak-arm in 2017, even though he threw less. He won't get younger in 2018.
Second: you're fooling yourself if you think he didn't know about and accept Bountygate. The guy is walking around wearing a Super Bowl ring that should have been rescinded. I truly would not watch Vikings games if he was quarterbacking the team.

Barr of 2017 was pretty damn good. We need him.

Barr was 53rd in total tackles.  And his 6 passes defensed puts him pretty far down the list from the top, too.  He only had 1 sack.  So... why do we need him?