Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teddy leaving? Soon to be followed by...
and dont forget Brent Mcclanahan fumble at Raiders 1 yard line at 0-0 in SB XI

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
Well that changes everything, doesn't it? Really surprised Zimmer would say this on the eve of free agency. But I suspect this is probably information all teams already had. 
It doesn't change anything.  Degenerative doesn't mean he can't play next year.  People interpret coaches like they plan on these statements weeks in advance.  They don't.  I have no doubt there's a plan in place, and I also have no doubt that everything is fluid until the first QB is signed.

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"dadevike" said:
But I think Case actually throws a better deep ball.
Oh come on, now let's not go crazy. I agree that Cousins is getting way more hype than he's worth, but Keenum would need bionic surgery to get this or this much on his deep ball. 
That was more about Cousins having better arm strength than Case - not elite arm strength by any means, just a little better than Case. But if you look at a larger number of deep passes, I think you’ll find Case is more accurate and has a higher percentage of catchable deep balls.

I’m not saying Case is a better QB than Cousins. I just don’t think that Cousins is that much better.

Zimmer sure didnt do Sam any favors by saying that and I’m not sure what kind of purpose it served.  He shouldn’t be volunteering that kind of information.

Quote: @"dadevike" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"dadevike" said:
Oh come on, now let's not go crazy. I agree that Cousins is getting way more hype than he's worth, but Keenum would need bionic surgery to get this or this much on his deep ball. 
That was more about Cousins having better arm strength than Case - not elite arm strength by any means, just a little better than Case. But if you look at a larger number of deep passes, I think you’ll find Case is more accurate and has a higher percentage of catchable deep balls.

I’m not saying Case is a better QB than Cousins. I just don’t think that Cousins is that much better.

catchable yes,  but also catchable by the defense.  Case puts so much air under many of his deep throws that its amazing that receivers arent waving their arms for a fair catch.  it makes a nice catchable ball,  but they are also much riskier and dont lead to much YAC very often.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"dadevike" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"dadevike" said:
Oh come on, now let's not go crazy. I agree that Cousins is getting way more hype than he's worth, but Keenum would need bionic surgery to get  or this much on his deep ball. 

catchable yes,  but also catchable by the defense.  Case puts so much air under many of his deep throws that its amazing that receivers arent waving their arms for a fair catch.  it makes a nice catchable ball,  but they are also much riskier and dont lead to much YAC very often.
Agreed.  Most of Case's passes involve some element of "thrill."  Usually it is for the better -- it sure helps to have Diggs and Thielen who make very tough catches -- but sometimes for the worse.  I thought Case actually lucked out and had some balls dropped by the defense last year. He may not be so lucky next time.
But the guy is tough and does not flinch even when he knows he is about to be clobbered -- think of the game in Detroit.  And those Case lob balls also led to quite a few long P.I. calls.
My problems with Case - aside from below average arm strength - are (1) the interceptions, and there aren't too many, seem to come at bad times or are really bad throws and (2) more importantly, I don't know if last season was just a magical season for him or if he can really do that again. 
In some ways, I would expect him to improve.  I suspect he learned quite a bit last season about being an NFL quarterback. But some of the things he did may not be repeatable.  Plus, nobody will be taking him lightly going forward if he stays with the Vikings. 
My problem with Cousins is that he may be a bit better than Case, but he may want bust-the-team money. 
So the thinking could be: all we need is a minor improvement in QB play and we could be hosting the NFCCG and being that much closer to the SB.  But the price for that is that for all those young guys we want to re-sign as they come off their rookie deals, we will need to let a few more walk in order to sign Cousins.

Quote: @"dadevike" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"dadevike" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"dadevike" said:
Oh come on, now let's not go crazy. I agree that Cousins is getting way more hype than he's worth, but Keenum would need bionic surgery to get  or this much on his deep ball. 

Agreed.  Most of Case's passes involve some element of "thrill."  Usually it is for the better -- it sure helps to have Diggs and Thielen who make very tough catches -- but sometimes for the worse.  I thought Case actually lucked out and had some balls dropped by the defense last year. He may not be so lucky next time.
But the guy is tough and does not flinch even when he knows he is about to be clobbered -- think of the game in Detroit.  And those Case lob balls also led to quite a few long P.I. calls.
My problems with Case - aside from below average arm strength - are (1) the interceptions, and there aren't too many, seem to come at bad times or are really bad throws and (2) more importantly, I don't know if last season was just a magical season for him or if he can really do that again. 
In some ways, I would expect him to improve.  I suspect he learned quite a bit last season about being an NFL quarterback. But some of the things he did may not be repeatable.  Plus, nobody will be taking him lightly going forward if he stays with the Vikings. 
My problem with Cousins is that he may be a bit better than Case, but he may want bust-the-team money. 
So the thinking could be: all we need is a minor improvement in QB play and we could be hosting the NFCCG and being that much closer to the SB.  But the price for that is that for all those young guys we want to re-sign as they come off their rookie deals, we will need to let a few more walk in order to sign Cousins.

I would take Case back on a heavily incentivised deal,  if he can show that he is what he was last year,  he should get paid,  but l think I was the first to bring up the horseshoe in his ass ( I am waiting for Zim to give me that cred...yep still waiting... not holding breath)  maybe he is charmed,  but I have to go with the odds and say that his weak armed throws and ill timed 50/50 balls will bite him/us in the ass more often than not as teams get better prepared for him and what he does within an offense.

Frankly, I am all over the place on these 4 QBs. If the Vikings feel good about Sam and Teddy's knees, I could see bringing both back.
Likewise, I would not mind Cousins, but I don't want to have to walk away from young guys we developed because we had to spend all our money to get Cousins.  But I understand Cousins wanting to break the bank.
Whatever. Just get it done and let's move on.

Quote: @"Purplewhizz" said:
Zimmer sure didnt do Sam any favors by saying that and I’m not sure what kind of purpose it served.  He shouldn’t be volunteering that kind of information.
Agreed. I'd be pissed if I were Bradford. I'm sure its not a major secret, but still....

I don't think what Dr. Mike ZImmer says in an interview about Sam's knee matters much.  Any team that wants to sign him is going to do their own medical eval.  And Dr. James Andrews who cleaned up his knee last fall said he's "good to go."