Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Derwin James with #1 pick?
Teams almost never draft BPA. They say they do, but they don't. Not literally anyway. I think teams look at their list of needs now and in the short-term future and draft the best player available among those needs, without regard to the DEGREE or immediacy of need. 

Quote: @FSUVike said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
BPA is bull shit? I'm glad you weren't in charge when Moss slid while we had a future HOF WR on one side and another guy who'd put up a couple 1,000 seasons...drafting for need is the bull shit move...   
So you want Barkley if he falls? Top 5 Talent.  
Absolutely... Generational talent on a team that had more rushing attempts than 31 other teams...

@"BarrNone55" said:
BPA is bull shit? I'm glad you weren't in charge when Moss slid while we had a future HOF WR on one side and another guy who'd put up a couple 1,000 seasons...drafting for need is the bull shit move...   
So you want Barkley if he falls? Top 5 Talent.  
Hell yeah I would.  I love what Dalvin did in 4 games before tearing his ACL, but those two together?  We might not even need to pass the ball all season.  :-D

BOOM

This is like asking me if I want Kate Upton to join me in my Jacuzzi...

I'm sure BPA will be in play big time when Minnesota selects in round 1, but I'd prefer a pick other than defense.

You guys are nuts. No RT, no 3T, need more CBs but let's take a guy at the same position we already had potentially the ROY. Drafting like that will net you one incredibly talented position or unit at the expense of another.

Look at the Cowboys. Loaded up on 1st Round O-Linemen at the expense of their Defense. Which got them nowhere.

BPA@PON. WR and RB are not positions of need to the extent that you burn your first rounder on them. Yes, Jet needs replacing. Did Kamara or Hunt go in the 1st? 

You can make a legit argument for virtually every other position though. James is a massive upgrade from Sendejo. A LB to hedge against Barr backsliding on the field or not willing to sign long-term for what the Vikings want to pay him. DE because of its importance to Zimmer's scheme, Griffs age/health, Hunter's sort of down year. Center because you can kick Elf to OG. QB because, well, it's the Vikings. TE for sure.

But hell no to WR, RB and NT. It's a deep draft again this year. Value will be there at those positions in later rounds.

Really going to be fun to see what Rick does this year. Will he go for his Ten Picks? With a loaded Roster does he juke us and move up to get certain guys and only wind up with 6 or 7 players total or even less? Does he move a pick or multiple picks to acquire a veteran? ,

The Draft is in two weeks, right? 

You guys are nuts. No RT, no 3T, need more CBs but let's take a guy at the same position we already had potentially the ROY. Drafting like that will net you one incredibly talented position or unit at the expense of another.

Look at the Cowboys. Loaded up on 1st Round O-Linemen at the expense of their Defense. Which got them nowhere.

BPA@PON. WR and RB are not positions of need to the extent that you burn your first rounder on them. Yes, Jet needs replacing. Did Kamara or Hunt go in the 1st? 

You can make a legit argument for virtually every other position though. James is a massive upgrade from Sendejo. A LB to hedge against Barr backsliding on the field or not willing to sign long-term for what the Vikings want to pay him. DE because of its importance to Zimmer's scheme, Griffs age/health, Hunter's sort of down year. Center because you can kick Elf to OG. QB because, well, it's the Vikings. TE for sure.

But hell no to WR, RB and NT. It's a deep draft again this year. Value will be there at those positions in later rounds.

Really going to be fun to see what Rick does this year. Will he go for his Ten Picks? With a loaded Roster does he juke us and move up to get certain guys and only wind up with 6 or 7 players total or even less? Does he move a pick or multiple picks to acquire a veteran? ,

The Draft is in two weeks, right? 
to the point of the cowboys.... they are stacked at OL and that is why a mediocre cheap QB is able to look like a world beater back there.  I would love for the Vikes to take a similar approach and realize that a great OL will cover up a lot of skill position weaknesses.   average RB look like all pros, average QBs look great, and the extra time allows average WRs time to get free.   I know this isnt where you were attacking,  but since you pointed out the boys I had to say I think its one of the rare smart moves done by jerruh.

And yet where exactly has it gotten them? Despite that Line they can't get any kind of consistent passing attack. They haven't invested in WR early in ages and it shows. The Defense isn't going to win them any games in the Playoffs.

Roster construction needs to be balanced. The Vikings spent years pouring high round picks into the Defense at the expense of the Offense. Yet that Defense failed to carry the team to a win in the most important game of the year.

That's why the notion of going 'cheap" at QB to save room to snag Richardson and retain Kendricks, Barr, Hunter and Diggs has me shaking my head.

The NFL has quietly morphed into an up and down product Offensively on the field...until you get to the Elite 8 in the Playoffs. Then you start to see Offenses and Playcallers that just can't be completely shut down.

Look at the Jags. Terrific Defense. Gave up big plays to Pittsburgh left and right and couldn't stop Brady when it mattered most. They're not going to spend the offseason worrying about saving money so they can continue to improve the Defense. They're going to figure out how to fix the QB spot.

Minnesota is in the same boat. Sign Cousins, draft McGlinchey and now this Offense can have the Defense's back once in a while. And a potent Offense helps the Defense by keeping them off the field more. Something the D-Line would greatly benefit from. 

The Vikings recognize what's happening. That's why they went and got a hot shot young guy to be their OC. It's why they won't make a huge run at Richardson, IMO. They know the Offense stepping up is what will take this team to the next level. Not the Defense making a modest improvement.

And yet where exactly has it gotten them? Despite that Line they can't get any kind of consistent passing attack. They haven't invested in WR early in ages and it shows. The Defense isn't going to win them any games in the Playoffs.

Roster construction needs to be balanced. The Vikings spent years pouring high round picks into the Defense at the expense of the Offense. Yet that Defense failed to carry the team to a win in the most important game of the year.

That's why the notion of going 'cheap" at QB to save room to snag Richardson and retain Kendricks, Barr, Hunter and Diggs has me shaking my head.

The NFL has quietly morphed into an up and down product Offensively on the field...until you get to the Elite 8 in the Playoffs. Then you start to see Offenses and Playcallers that just can't be completely shut down.

Look at the Jags. Terrific Defense. Gave up big plays to Pittsburgh left and right and couldn't stop Brady when it mattered most. They're not going to spend the offseason worrying about saving money so they can continue to improve the Defense. They're going to figure out how to fix the QB spot.

Minnesota is in the same boat. Sign Cousins, draft McGlinchey and now this Offense can have the Defense's back once in a while. And a potent Offense helps the Defense by keeping them off the field more. Something the D-Line would greatly benefit from. 

The Vikings recognize what's happening. That's why they went and got a hot shot young guy to be their OC. It's why they won't make a huge run at Richardson, IMO. They know the Offense stepping up is what will take this team to the next level. Not the Defense making a modest improvement.
you are putting cousins in the same ability level as brady or big ben?  i dont see how spending 30 million a year on him will elevate our team as much as spreading that money out on a few other free agents and running with a QB that is more affordable and maybe not quite as good.  cousins is far from a lock in terms of what he will bring to this offense.  we can disagree,  i will take a solid OL and DL over loading up on skill positions every time.  yes those positions need to be addressed,  but win the trenches first.

Points. As in Minnesota needs to score more and more consistently. Matty Ice got his team to a SB. He's a Tier 2 QB.

Sheldon Richardson is not going to pressure the QB on every play. Unless Minnesota has 4 Xavier Rhodes and 2 Harrison Smiths Playoff teams will get targets open, move the ball and score points.

This just isn't ever going to be the Bears, Ravens or Broncos level of Elite Defense.

I'd love nothing more then for Sam and Teddy to be fully healthy. Either could take this team all the way with improvement to the O-Line, which should come via the Draft.

As a fan I just can't feel good about that level of risk when there is a far less risky option out there.

I'd feel different if I thought Rick would spend big FA dollars on the O-Line again, snagged Richardson AND inked two CBs. At that point even Case would have a legit shot at taking this team all the way.

In lieu of that unlikely scenario give me the Tier 2 QB that doesn't have any health questions.