Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Derwin James with #1 pick?
How'd you feel about that? Dirty Harry and this kid??

Maybe if we solidify the OL more in FA they'd go this route if available??

Its pretty safe to say we can go with BPA @#30...I also think its pretty safe to say James will be gone a good 10-15 spots earlier...Marcus Allen Day #2 might be more likely if we want a potential upgrade to Sendejo...I'm holding out hope we can go OL or 3T at #30...

Lots to like,  but one thing I see is his tendency to go high on his tackles.  Makes for really good tape when you make the play,  but you get shrugged off a lot more also.  I would like to see him hitting a bit lower.  I like that he shows he will wrap up and drive through at times,  he has that part which is getting rarer and rarer.

One of my favorite players in the draft but he should be gone way before we pick.

James is a freak show. You watch some of his all-22 and the ground he is able to cover on some plays in unreal. He is inconsistent at time though, which will push him down the board a bit. Physically assuming his knee checks out "ok" he is a top 10 talent. But the demand at safety doesn't always mesh with the draft board. Anywhere from 5-20 seems to be his current range.  

I like the idea of getting a better safety than Sendejo, but James could be a top 10 pick. Also, I think we would better complement Smith's skills by pairing him with a safety who excels in coverage and ranging deep when needed - a fast safety with some hybrid CB traits. (Notice Zimmer keeps drafting CB-to-S conversion projects.) In round 2, see if Jessie Bates or Armani Watts make sense - or possibly Carlton Davis if he slides.

He's as good in coverage if not better than Smith. The hitting needs cleaned up but he's coachable, just didn't have any coaches worth a crap at FSU.

But i go back to opportunity vs. cost. It will likely cost passing on a Day 1 Starter at RT or OG to pick James. That is too high a cost for me for no other reason than Derwin won't be able to improve the Defense as much as a Starting O-Lineman would improve the Offense.

The Defense is already #1. In my opinion to improve it significantly you need a 3T that can really rush the passer, more CBs for Dime Packages and more DE depth to go along with Derwin to make it that much better.

But adding an RT also provides opportunity to improve the RG as well as depth and will have a greater impact on the Offense.

This is why pure BPA is actually pure BS.  If a RB or WR that was a Top 10 Talent fell to Rick would he pull the trigger? Nope. With Cook, Thielen and Diggs adding another weapon instead of improving the Line makes no sense.

Having said that, if Rick doesn't see an O-Lineman he feels has a First or early Second Round grade then by all means you take James. He's not getting past Seattle, though.

BPA is bull shit? I'm glad you weren't in charge when Moss slid while we had a future HOF WR on one side and another guy who'd put up a couple 1,000 seasons...drafting for need is the bull shit move...   

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
BPA is bull shit? I'm glad you weren't in charge when Moss slid while we had a future HOF WR on one side and another guy who'd put up a couple 1,000 seasons...drafting for need is the bull shit move...   
So you want Barkley if he falls? Top 5 Talent.  

I agree that the tendency will be for OL in 1st Round, but like I said, there will be a stud LB and a stud CB falling to #30 on draft day, and that's when The Decision will be made.
I won't complain if they nab a guy they feel can be an impact defender.  
I did not appreciate the way Philly tore up the mid-levels of The D with their RPO.
Everybody will copy that against The Vikes this year if they don't upgrade LB and Nickel coverage.  They still have one or two weaknesses on D which could be improved.
As deep as this draft appears to be, I would be fine with trading back with 1st pick, too.
How about a RB like Nick Chubb or Sony Michel around #40-#45?  Hard to pass up impact talent like that.