Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time To Move Treadwell?
Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
I could go back and forth on this one. It's hard to convince me the Vikings are going to eat money to deal him with no guarantee Jarius Wright is going to return. It would be an entirely different discussion during camp when you'd save $1.3M by moving him.

A player for player swap for someone like Eli Apple makes more sense than moving him for a pick. 
I was trying to think of an equally disappointing 1st rounder...That would work...

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
I could go back and forth on this one. It's hard to convince me the Vikings are going to eat money to deal him with no guarantee Jarius Wright is going to return. It would be an entirely different discussion during camp when you'd save $1.3M by moving him.

A player for player swap for someone like Eli Apple makes more sense than moving him for a pick. 
I like it in theory. No way Apple stays in New York. And Shurmur there could give this an assist. But everything I've read says Apple is a disaster. Not just poor play, but suspensions, fights with players, fights with coaches. Can Zim straighten him out? Maybe. But does he want that kind of headache on this team?

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:

I like it in theory. No way Apple stays in New York. And Shurmur there could give this an assist. But everything I've read says Apple is a disaster. Not just poor play, but suspensions, fights with players, fights with coaches. Can Zim straighten him out? Maybe. But does he want that kind of headache on this team?
If the kid didn't have those red flags before going to NY i bet he could be fixed.  He may have gotten a little fill of himself and didn't handle reality all that well,  but a change of scenery might be the best thing for him.  I would like to see Treadwell with a different QB before we give up on him.  He looked to have made a big step last year in  terms of working hard and getting open and the run game really appreciated him out there.   Year 3 I think we should see for sure and since the arrow was pointing up,  hang onto him one more offseason.

I shit the bed and was wrong about Treadwell. At least in the sense that he isn't getting any playing time and when he has, he has looked merely OK at times.
I would like to trade him for a player that isn't performing at their talent level. Eli Apple comes to mind, but isn't he an outside CB more or less? We have that fairly locked up at the moment.

...and on a sad note.  Threadwell compared to Floyd, Laquon has made great strides.

I'm not a big Treadwell fan, but as many have noted this would feel like selling low. Shouldn't we let our new OC review all personnel available and see if there is a fit in his scheme? The Eagles got some production out of Trey Burton, and there was some suggestion we should pursue him in FA. Well, Burton measured 6-2, 224 coming out of college and ran the 40 in the 4.6 range...sound like anyone on our roster? I don't know that Treadwell can turn into a flex TE but give him a camp with DeFilippo and see if there are possibilities. Besides, unless Michael Floyd returns, there are no other WRs on our roster with good size.
And why would Shurmur want Treadwell, who was not especially productive for him in Minnesota? Is he going to take catches away from Odell Beckham and Sterling Shepard??

I don’t really understand what value Treadwell has in a
trade.    I doubt that Apple is of the character that
Zimmer and Spielman would even look at.

The decision of what to do with Treadwell has to fall within
the overall plan for getting more production out of our #3 and 4 receivers, and
an understanding of why they didn’t get better stats.  That position has to be upgraded somehow, but
I’m not sure this is as simple as addition by subtraction.

I would guess Treadwell's trade value somewhere between a 3rd and a 5th rounder. It remains high because he was a 1st rounder with good size and hands, who received a ton of predraft hype based on his well publicized college career. I wasn't one of them, but he had a LOT of believers. There are bound to be some of those left in the NFL who could make a fairly legit contextual argument about opportunity, especially considering that Michael Floyd, another first round guy who actually HAS proven himself capable in the NFL, also struggled to get playing time. And Keenum wasn't known for spreading the ball around. 

But the longer we wait, the lower that value becomes. And that opportunity to prove himself isn't going to get any easier with the NFL's best receiving duo ahead of him. 

Then there's the depth argument. What if one of our receivers gets hurt? Floyd isn't under contract. So that leaves Wright and Coley. I like Wright as a 3rd guy, but not as one of our two.

OK, so I think I've talked myself out of it. :-) Especially after reading what Spielman said earlier this week about the importance of depth. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
I would guess Treadwell's trade value somewhere between a 3rd and a 5th rounder. It remains high because he was a 1st rounder with good size and hands, who received a ton of predraft hype based on his well publicized college career. I wasn't one of them, but he had a LOT of believers. There are bound to be some of those left in the NFL who could make a fairly legit contextual argument about opportunity, especially considering that Michael Floyd, another first round guy who actually HAS proven himself capable in the NFL, also struggled to get playing time. And Keenum wasn't known for spreading the ball around. 

But the longer we wait, the lower that value becomes. And that opportunity to prove himself isn't going to get any easier with the NFL's best receiving duo ahead of him. 

Then there's the depth argument. What if one of our receivers gets hurt? Floyd isn't under contract. So that leaves Wright and Coley. I like Wright as a 3rd guy, but not as one of our two.

OK, so I think I've talked myself out of it. :-) Especially after reading what Spielman said earlier this week about the importance of depth. 
The reason I wouldn't jump on it is because Wright is going to have to take a pay cut to stay. So if you move Treadwell now you're both taking on dead money in that deal and also giving Jarius additional leverage to say he won't take a pay cut. Then the Vikings are left paying him $4.8M against the cap on his current deal or cutting him outright. 

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
ESPN Vikings reporter Courtney Cronin thinks Minnesota "could be proactive this offseason" and shop Laquon Treadwell via trade.
The 23rd overall pick in the 2016 draft, Treadwell has not gotten his NFL career off the ground with just 21 catches for 215 scoreless yards in two seasons. He hasn't been able to crack the starting lineup behind studs Adam Thielen and Stefon Diggs, and Jarius Wright is a more natural No. 3 man. If the Vikings did trade 22-year-old Treadwell, they wouldn't net more than a late-rounder.
Source: ESPN.comFeb 14 - 11:22 AM

Not a fan of selling low...
Funny, Treadwell seemed to see more time as the #1 than JW did as the #4.  But yes, we should sell low just to appease the impatience of the 24 hour news cycle.