Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So how will DeFilippo go about analyzing our "current" QB's?
well, I'll throw this out--knowing absolutely nothing about the situation!  we know Zim has always loved TB.  He seems to have never completely warmed to Case.  When Sam was eligible, he made Sam, Case's backup.  From those things you could speculate that they will toll Teddy, keep Sam as the starter for now, and Case will cash in as a starter somewhere else.
Maybe...

i am sure defillipo will have the biggest say in who the vikings Qb order will consist of. I doubt he is looking for mediocrity fresh off a super bowl win. You can read into that whatever you want.

Quote: @kmillard said:
i am sure defillipo will have the biggest say in who the vikings Qb order will consist of. I doubt he is looking for mediocrity fresh off a super bowl win. You can read into that whatever you want.
Well, he still reports to Mike Zimmer, Rick Spielman and Ziggy Wilf and those guys will have a lot to say about this. If the Vikings do this right, and I suspect they will, everyone will have input into the decision and Flip's opinion will be very important. 

Reading way more into it than I probably should, you could look at the kind of QBs Philly has. He was the QB coach when Philly drafted Wentz in 2016 and brought in Nick Foles in 2017. I doubt he had much say in those decisions, but I'm sure he had some input. Both are prototypes in terms of size. Both 6-5 plus and over 230 lbs with good arms. So on film the QB who is going to look the most familiar to him is Sam Bradford. He was also the QB coach for the Raiders when they drafted Derek Carr, who probably has one of the strongest arms in the NFL. 

I could be just wishful thinking here (because I have Case Keenum 4th on my wish list), but if Flip fancies himself a QB whisperer, then he may not want to hitch his offense (and his career) to a QB with so many size, arm and accuracy limitations. On the other hand, Keenum's decisiveness, durability and gunslinger mentality (read: BALLS) might be exactly what he's looking for to run the RPO. 

heres an article on what Flipper wants in a QB....

https://scout.com/nfl/vikings/Article/Ne...Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=180209_151935_Minnesota%20Vikings&utm_content=Link&liveconnect=E6-6E-B7-37-BF-49-AD-2E-BA-24-2F-76-0C-4B-63-5D180209_151935MinnesotaVikings

“Character is number one for me. If you have character at that position, you have a chance to succeed. If you don’t have it, you have zero chance to succeed. So, number one, we’re going to look for a person that’s going to represent our football team in a way and conduct himself the way we want him, both on and off the football field. That’s very, very important,” he said Friday on a conference call with reporters less than 24 hours after being hired. “Number two, the three most important attributes of playing the quarterback position are decision-making, timing and accuracy.”

“The guy that shows some form of leadership. You don’t need to be a rah-rah guy all the time, but you need to show some form of leadership so other guys will follow you, look up to you and, when times get tough, will play for you,” he said. “And so all those things I just mentioned are very important components to the quarterback position.”

and the one that has Bradford packing his bags...

“Athleticism is a unique trait for a quarterback. There’s different types of athleticism for a quarterback. There’s guys like the Michael Vick type and those types and then there’s guys that have great athleticism moving their feet in the pocket to keep plays alive to extend plays,” DeFilippo said. “I’m not a big believer in quarterbacks that are a stick in the mud back there, they’re in cement back there at 7½ yards deep. Our quarterbacks are going to have to show some form of athleticism.”

“Whatever they ask me to do, in terms of researching the players that we’re going to research, I’m going to leave no stone unturned. We talked about it last night – it has to be a collaborative effort, something that we all agree on,” he said. “Because when it’s divided – I’ve been through this situation before, searching for Derek Carr and Carson Wentz. I have some experience in this situation of trying to find your quarterback to lead your football team. As much or as little of my input as they want, I’ll give that. But I know whatever information I give them will be very educated and very researched.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
and the one that has Bradford packing his bags...

“Athleticism is a unique trait for a quarterback. There’s different types of athleticism for a quarterback. There’s guys like the Michael Vick type and those types and then there’s guys that have great athleticism moving their feet in the pocket to keep plays alive to extend plays,” DeFilippo said. “I’m not a big believer in quarterbacks that are a stick in the mud back there, they’re in cement back there at 7½ yards deep. Our quarterbacks are going to have to show some form of athleticism.”
Eh...I think the whole "Sam the Statue" thing was overstated to a fare-thee-well, because he had to move just to survive in 2016.  He's no scrambler, but he's more mobile than he is portrayed to be.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
heres an article on what Flipper wants in a QB....

https://scout.com/nfl/vikings/Article/Ne...Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=180209_151935_Minnesota%20Vikings&utm_content=Link&liveconnect=E6-6E-B7-37-BF-49-AD-2E-BA-24-2F-76-0C-4B-63-5D180209_151935MinnesotaVikings
That's interesting. I hadn't seen that. No big revelations, other than the mobility thing. To that, I would say that Bradford is no less mobile than Foles, but if he can pick and choose between Case, Sam, Teddy and Kirk, that could be a factor.