Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly by
Quote: @kloosf16 said:
Just found out yesterday my wing will be doing the fly by for the game. Look for 2 F-35s to fly over the clear part of the roof as the national anthem ends (they’ll also show live footage on the screen). After we land, we’ll haul a$$ to the game and have field access. At some point, they will announce us to the crowd. 

Tom, I’ll look for you.  

Skol and Bring it Home!!!
Thanks for letting us know, and if televised, I'll be watching for your wing to fly over.  Very cool!

Like jimmy said, a vid of that would be sweet - good luck, and Go Vikes.  SKOL!

As cool as those aircraft are, and as awesome as an experience as it must be for you, what a friggin waste of taxpayers money. The cost of flying those 2 from Utah and back with support, for a :07 second TV shot (over a dome no less) is well into 6 figures. This is right up there with the famed 700 dollar hammers in terms of government waste. Enjoy the game.

Quote: @mgobluevikes said:
As cool as those aircraft are, and as awesome as an experience as it must be for you, what a friggin waste of taxpayers money. The cost of flying those 2 from Utah and back with support, for a :07 second TV shot (over a dome no less) is well into 6 figures. This is right up there with the famed 700 dollar hammers in terms of government waste. Enjoy the game.
If the USAF spent tax dollars on a 30 second commercial looking for recruits, and played it three or four times during the game, how much would that cost?  Would that be a waste of tax dollars too?  I'm betting these fly-overs help find future recruits for pilots and crew, and are no more of a "waste of tax payers money" as commercials.

Will they be starting up on a six and pull through the clouds then fly inverted while witnessing a MIG do a 4g negative dive... and then give any Saints fans the bird? Smile

Quote: @mgobluevikes said:
I can appreciate your position.  What you may not realize is outside the minute we fly over, we conduct training on these flights as we would on any training flight.  There is also quite a bit of value flying into unfamiliar environments and unfamiliar airfields. rest assured, I am also a taxpayer and we get our training value out of these flights. 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
Ok...definitely one of the coolest fucking  things I've read on here!  

Kloosf,  anyway you can shoot some video of your flyover (cockpit cam, cam pointed at ground,  whatever you got?)  And share it here when you are done?

I would have given both of my nuts to have been able to do what you do for a living,  but there was that whole math thing and 2 really shitty knees that kept me from trying.  I have been looking into getting my pilots liscense now that my kids are grown,  but I have to doubt a Cessna or piper is going to compare to Lockheed Martin.

Way cool and enjoy your experience!

Say if I do get my liscense....think you could hook me up with an old f16 or something yall don't use anymore?  :p
I’ll see what I can do about the “old” F16 (which is the jet I flew for 15 years). keep the dream alive!

Quote: @NodakViking said:
Gotcha, figured it would be either Hill or Luke.  Live in Phx now, did 20+ years as an ANG firefighter with f-16's in Fargo.

Congrats, hell of a superbowl weekend, now the Vikes just need to get in......
As a former F16 driver, thanks for keeping us safe!

Quote: @CLOBIMON said:
Will they be starting up on a six and pull through the clouds then fly inverted while witnessing a MIG do a 4g negative dive... and then give any Saints fans the bird? Smile
There is always time for that!

Quote: @HappyViking said:
@mgobluevikes said:
If the USAF spent tax dollars on a 30 second commercial looking for recruits, and played it three or four times during the game, how much would that cost?  Would that be a waste of tax dollars too?  I'm betting these fly-overs help find future recruits for pilots and crew, and are no more of a "waste of tax payers money" as commercials.
Frankly, that doesn't hold much water. A :30 second spot is infinitely more impactful for recruiting, where they can control the imaging, and Hollywood it up, vs. a spec in the sky and hope that some kid sees it through the half domed roof. lol. It's really pretty absurd. This is for TV only, and it will literally last for between :05-:08 sec. (if it makes the broadcast at all). Beyond that, the paid for :30 second spot, depending on the point in the game, is still probably cheaper than the fly over.  

Who pissed in yer cheerios this morning.  As he said, they have to fly to keep training.  Imagine all the waste at an air show.  But it is cool as shit.

So good for you Kloosf.  I will wave at you thru the TV.  Enjoy the game.