Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Supplemental Draft is today?
Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
@"Jor-El" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
Well, this is showing my wear and tear, but every-time I hear supplemental draft my mind goes to Bernie Kosar...
Ha, me too. GermanVike is right that we were probably better served by getting Chris Doleman, but Kosar and the Browns definitely cheated manipulated the draft system, and Pete Rozelle abetted them. Well, Kosar was probably the last player who actually wanted to be a Brown, and I bet he regretted it.
Huh? 
Before the deadline to declare for the 1985 draft, Kosar said he was going to leave college - and hired an agent. The Bills were set to take Bruce Smith #1, so the Vikings made a trade to get the 2nd pick, aiming to draft Kosar. Then Kosar said he wanted to be a Brown (go figure), and claimed he had not really declared. The Browns worked out a trade for the Bills' #1 pick in 1986 (next year), so they could draft Kosar in a supplemental draft if he "happened to change his mind" after the deadline. There were threats to sue, and some conference was held, and Rozelle decided Kosar could choose if he wanted to be in the regular 1985 draft or the supplemental draft. He chose supplemental and the Browns.

Every year, some Vikings fans declare that the NFL front office has done something to intentionally harm the Vikings' chances to succeed. Most of those claims are speculative, but the Kosar decision was blatant.

Never heard that before...the only thing I knew about the Kosar situation was he didn't want to play here because Mike Lynn was a cheapskate...good stuff...