Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eli getting benched for Geno ...
Quote: @dadevike said:
Eli is not great. But I suspect with a good group around him he could still be very good.
This is such a loaded statement, isn't it? We're talking about a Super Bowl-winning QB. In fact, he's won TWO Super Bowls. Been to the Pro Bowl 4 times. It just reinforces what I've always believed about NFL QBs. There are a handful at the top whose play, to a certain degree, transcends supporting cast. There are a handful at the bottom who can't play in the NFL. And the vast majority in between rise and fall based on supporting cast, scheme and continuity. 

God, there are just so many examples in the past that support this. Jeff Garcia went to the Pro Bowl 4 times. Remember Marc Bulger? Took over for an ineffective Kurt Warner and raced to 6 straight wins. Broke all kinds of NFL records. Got a huge contract. Rams moved on from Warner and made Bulger the highest paid player in Rams history. Had a good couple of years, but when the talent left that team (Bruce, Holt, Pace) Bulger turned back into a pumpkin and would shortly be out of the NFL. How about Nick Foles? Took over for Mike Vick and threw 27 TDs and 2 INTs. Let that sink in for a while. I could be wrong, but I don't think there's ever been a higher TD/INT ratio than that. Had 7 TDs in one game. On his 4th team since then...Jake Delhomme...Jeff George...

Then when you look at the ups and downs of today's QBs. Alex Smith, Derek Carr, Dalton, Cousins, Kaepernick, Flacco, Bradford, etc, and you can see why I want to slowly raise the caution flag on Case Keenum. 

I love in Giant country and I have always ragged on Eli to every fan.  However, I am sad for Eli.  For all I have hated on him - he is a decent guy.  And a Hall of Fame winner.

IMO Eli epitomizes the QB winning with talent around him.  When he had a healthy plaxico, he was great.  When he had Cruz and ODB he was great.  Without the supporting cast, he struggles mightily.  And I remember him against us last year.  He was throwing the ball in the dirt to avoid getting hit.

I think he is a cerebral QB lacking outstanding physical talent  (I say outstanding because he plays in the NFL and I type on a computer).  Lacking WR running good routes, he just wants to fold.  Probably happy they are moving on from him.

He probably got yanked for doing those stupid skits with his son last weekend on Fox 
Ugh
Was thinking " Don't quit your day job..." But guess it's too late

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@dadevike said:
Eli is not great. But I suspect with a good group around him he could still be very good.
God, there are just so many examples in the past that support this. Jeff Garcia went to the Pro Bowl 4 times. Remember Marc Bulger? Took over for an ineffective Kurt Warner and raced to 6 straight wins. Broke all kinds of NFL records. Got a huge contract. Rams moved on from Warner and made Bulger the highest paid player in Rams history. Had a good couple of years, but when the talent left that team (Bruce, Holt, Pace) Bulger turned back into a pumpkin and would shortly be out of the NFL. How about Nick Foles? Took over for Mike Vick and threw 27 TDs and 2 INTs. Let that sink in for a while. I could be wrong, but I don't think there's ever been a higher TD/INT ratio than that. Had 7 TDs in one game. On his 4th team since then...Jake Delhomme...Jeff George...
Well, Eli is a 2-time SB champion and a 2-time SB MVP.  And I think both times he beat Tom Brady and the Patriots.  Can you say that about Jeff Garcia, Marc Bulger, Nick Foles, Jake Delhomme, or Jeff George?

I think Eli will be in the Hall of Fame in a few years. I'm certain Jeff Garcia, Marc Bulger, Nick Foles, Jake Delhomme, and Jeff George will not. 

Quote: @dadevike said:
@MaroonBells said:
@dadevike said:
Well, Eli is a 2-time SB champion and a 2-time SB MVP.  And I think both times he beat Tom Brady and the Patriots.  Can you say that about Jeff Garcia, Marc Bulger, Nick Foles, Jake Delhomme, or Jeff George?

I think Eli will be in the Hall of Fame in a few years. I'm certain Jeff Garcia, Marc Bulger, Nick Foles, Jake Delhomme, and Jeff George will not. 
It's to bad the HOF doesn't equate greatness anymore than the probowl.  Eli has had some great years,  but that doesn't make him a great QB.

Eli is a 'good' QB who has a shit coach, shit running game, and a decimated WR group.  On the Cardinals next year he'll be pushing for a SB again.

Quote: @NodakViking said:
Eli is a 'good' QB who has a shit coach, shit running game, and a decimated WR group.  On the Cardinals next year he'll be pushing for a SB again.
OH goody.  Eli and AD,  just start the media love fest right now.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@greediron said:
sign him now!!!
funny fucker arent you?  i hate eli and for the most part the entire manning family,  but mostly eli.  smug little over rated shit ball that he is.
I'm sorry, didn't Eli keep the Packers out of the Super Bowl at least one year? Yah, I thought so. That makes him my friend, my dear friend...