Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Better Offseason Signing? Reiff or Keenum?
Quote: @"Neptizzle" said:
can we just agree, the last few offseasons that Rick S has done his job!?
Don't get crazy. His offseason acquisitions for 2016 were Alex Boone, Andre Smith, and Laquon Treadwell. He made enormous mistakes in counting on Sullivan, Fusco, and Loadholt to return from injuries. He's had good luck this year but he also made bets (not disastrous) on Datone Jones and Michael Floyd.

I'm not trying to open a franchise of the NJVike Club or crucify Spielman. His additions this year have been mostly great and that's a combination of good decisions and some luck (and a lot of OL improvement is due to changes to the blocking scheme). But just because we have a winning streak, don't declare that he has been mistake-free for the last few years. He has learned from mistakes, so has Zimmer, and the team has improved.

love Reif, but hands down gotta go with Case.  can you imagine heineke leading us to this record?

Quote: @"Bullazin" said:
love Reif, but hands down gotta go with Case.  can you imagine heineke leading us to this record?
I look at it if it wasnt Case it would have likely been somebody else from FA at the QB position.( I dont remember who all we had available)  If it hadnt been Reiff,  who would have been our LT this year? ( maybe Hill would have done OK, probably pretty good chance of it,  but then who?)   I remember the pickings were pretty slim to begin with and even when we signed Riley there were plenty  of people pissing and moaning.

Reiff was smart because Rick recognized that he was a left tackle playing on the right side. Contrary to what many thought, Rick believed he could still be a left tackle and paid him like one. That was smart. Other free agent left tackles ranked around him (Wentworth, Okung, Beachum) had age or durability issues. We now have a young and improving fixture at left tackle who is playing like the 1st rounder he was. That was HUGE. 

You also have to give him credit for Keenum. He recognized that Keenum played exceptionally well in relief in the short term and was a bargain at his price. The smartest part of it was probably just to bring in competition for Taylor Heinicke, a good looking young prospect, but whose beer I'm still holding. 

Which was better? Who cares? 

Quote: @"HappyViking" said:
Let's put it this way: I'd rather have Reiff and Teddy than Clemmons and Case.   B)

Keenum is very thankful Reiff is in there.  Case is playing well, but that line has brought new life to his career.
And I would rather have Hill and Case than Reiff and Heinecke.  Smile

Quote: @"SFVikingFan" said:
@"HappyViking" said:
Let's put it this way: I'd rather have Reiff and Teddy than Clemmons and Case.   B)

Keenum is very thankful Reiff is in there.  Case is playing well, but that line has brought new life to his career.
And I would rather have Hill and Case than Reiff and Heinecke.  Smile
 Yes and don't forget Rick stole Hill from the Jags PS.  Every GM has misses every year but Spelly hit a couple of home runs this offseason.  He should be in the running for GM of the year.  

The bigger impact is Shurmur maximizing both players...

Reiff IMO.  His attitude has changed the entire line.  He doesn't get beat and just quietly does his job.  Our line is a big part of the reason we are at 8-2

Quote: @"greediron" said:
Reiff IMO.  His attitude has changed the entire line.  He doesn't get beat and just quietly does his job.  Our line is a big part of the reason we are at 8-2
Unlike Boone  Wink

Quote: @"Norse" said:
@"greediron" said:
Unlike Boone  Wink

I miss Boone....for his contributions to 96 Questions. Otherwise, I don't miss Boone.