Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time to extend Keenum
I just don't see anything happening midseason.  Case is likely going somewhere to be in competition with a young QB that's on a rookie contract.  I just think we need to get clarity on Bridgewater before moving forward with Keenum.  If we keep Bridgewater (which I think is likely), I think Keenum can get a better contract than we can afford to spend on him elsewhere.  His current contract is $2M/year.  Top backups look like $3.5-5.5M.  If teams view him as a short term rental at starter he could go as high as a Mike Glennon who's getting $15M/year (over 3 years!)

I believe Keenum goes elsewhere and we draft another QB high

If Teddy gets to play at some point....looks good....no ill effects from the injury....this will be their guy moving forward. The organization will just hit reboot on his career as the franchise's guy and prepare as such for 2018. Sloter is now their long term project with big upside. And Bradford is gone....you just can't trust that knee. 

If TB gets in there this year for 4-5 games, plays well, gets into the playoffs and shows well....all big ifs....I can see Minnesota passing on drafting a QB next season. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
If Teddy gets to play at some point....looks good....no ill effects from the injury....this will be their guy moving forward. The organization will just hit reboot on his career as the franchise's guy and prepare as such for 2018. Sloter is now their long term project with big upside. And Bradford is gone....you just can't trust that knee. 

If TB gets in there this year for 4-5 games, plays well, gets into the playoffs and shows well....all big ifs....I can see Minnesota passing on drafting a QB next season. 

Those are big IFs for sure. I will agree that if TEddy can get in there (which I think he will) and play some games with good showing... I think they roll with Teddy and don't draft a QB high.
I also believe that Sam is gone as well. Not sure this team will invest anymore money into a proven problematic knee

Quote: @medaille said:
I just don't see anything happening midseason.  Case is likely going somewhere to be in competition with a young QB that's on a rookie contract.  I just think we need to get clarity on Bridgewater before moving forward with Keenum.  If we keep Bridgewater (which I think is likely), I think Keenum can get a better contract than we can afford to spend on him elsewhere.  His current contract is $2M/year.  Top backups look like $3.5-5.5M.  If teams view him as a short term rental at starter he could go as high as a Mike Glennon who's getting $15M/year (over 3 years!)
its not my money but id give him $5M/yr to compete with Teddy next yr

Another reason Keenum would be foolish to sign an extension here for backup money: what if Bridgewater plays this season, but disappoints or gets hurt? Then the Vikings are one of the teams desperate for a STARTING quarterback in 2018 and would likely join in a bidding war for Keenum. 

Unless he falls on his face, IMO the contract Keenum will seek next year will be comparable to Mike Glennon's: 3 years $45M (less than half guaranteed). Possibly a bit less because Keenum is 2 years older than Glennon, but the salary cap will increase, too. I think someone will offer him at least $10M/yr for 2-3 years. Does anyone here think the Vikings should spend that much if he's intended as a backup?

Keenum is a great success for the team but rather than "spend anything to lock him up", maybe we should think, "our scouts/coaches/GM did a great job identifying a fine backup, let's trust them to find another next year if he leaves". 

IMO the only way Keenum is a Vike next year is either Teddy looks like shit or Keenum keeps playing and ends up looking like shit.  If Teddy lights it up we wont be spending money on a guy that could be a transitional starter,  or if the wheels fall off of Keenum then he might not find the market as lucrative as it appears to be right now.

There really isn't much of an incentive for Keenum to negotiate a contract right now. Like most backup QB's, the market is going to dictate what he is worth. I don't think his play this season has been some sort of revelation, he was always viewed as a great backup/low-end starter by most teams. 

Unless there is a team willing to start him his value is going to be in the range of $3.5M per season (a $1.5M raise from his current deal). But like most backup QB deals, there is typically an out for the team after a single year. 

I don't know, will he get offers to start? Probably, but will he be the QB of the future for that team?  At some point you would think he would want to Settle in to a city for more than a year or two.

If I were him it definitely would have to be a Mike Glennon type deal for me to leave, if the Vikings were to offer him a nice deal to be the Backup he would probably consider it. At some point you would think he wants to put down some roots.

Quote: @Bolstad79 said:
I don't know, will he get offers to start? Probably, but will he be the QB of the future for that team?  At some point you would think he would want to Settle in to a city for more than a year or two.

If I were him it definitely would have to be a Mike Glennon type deal for me to leave, if the Vikings were to offer him a nice deal to be the Backup he would probably consider it. At some point you would think he wants to put down some roots.
you would take a 3 years @ 3 million per deal over a 2 year @10 million per?  I see some team that drafts a QB of the future going after Keenum to bridge that gap between now and when the rookie would be ready.  I actually wouldnt be surprised to see Shurmur get a HC offer if the offense continues to impress and if it is a team without a future QB that he would try and take Keenum with him.