Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time to extend Keenum
right now. long term with most guaranteed money for a backup in the league. plus escalators. hes young, progressing and has proven to be a guy you can win with.  he is also a valuable hedge in case both our QB’s are permanently hobbled 

I agree We are THIN at QB and we need to get him signed. 

Yep, I agree. May not be easy though. 

Keenum will get starting offers...why would he settle for a backup spot.
He currently has the # 6 QBR in the NFL. Rated #4 in the NFL QB's under pressure.
https://mobile.twitter.com/NFLMatchup/st...0172807169

Think it will be Bridgewater & Sloter next year.

I like the idea of having a long-term solution at back-up QB... BUT
1) How will we ever develop a #1 QB (should Teddy not be able to come back) if there's a #2 already entrenched?
2) If Keenum is doing as well as many fans think he is- why would he sign to be a back-up at all?  There's got to be a team or 2 that might think they could do something with Case...?

Quote: @"pumpf" said:
I like the idea of having a long-term solution at back-up QB... BUT
1) How will we ever develop a #1 QB (should Teddy not be able to come back) if there's a #2 already entrenched?
2) If Keenum is doing as well as many fans think he is- why would he sign to be a back-up at all?  There's got to be a team or 2 that might think they could do something with Case...?
Yes, he is still young and if he is worth signing as a long term backup with escalators, he is worth someone trying him as a starter.

I think this is brilliant for all the reasons stated (you guys are all so smart), but I'll throw another one out there...if we control Keenum's destiny, and we go with Bridgewater and the kid from Denver as his backup, there is going to be a QB-desperate team who will possibly give up a very high draft pick to get his services.  Keenum has been auditioning in front of the entire NFL.  And the audition has gone well.  Having said that, he would likely take a pass on any overtures from the Vikings for a long-term deal, and look to get his own big contract with whomever he chooses.  If he and/or his agent were smart.  Case Keenum is a winner in the NFL...not just a backup.

I never believed I would have uttered those words 3 months ago.

Quote: @"Montana Tom" said:
I think this is brilliant for all the reasons stated (you guys are all so smart), but I'll throw another one out there...if we control Keenum's destiny, and we go with Bridgewater and the kid from Denver as his backup, there is going to be a QB-desperate team who will possibly give up a very high draft pick to get his services.  Keenum has been auditioning in front of the entire NFL.  And the audition has gone well.  Having said that, he would likely take a pass on any overtures from the Vikings for a long-term deal, and look to get his own big contract with whomever he chooses.  If he and/or his agent were smart.  Case Keenum is a winner in the NFL...not just a backup.

I never believed I would have uttered those words 3 months ago.
Imagine: Case Keenum, Franchise Tag...

He has earned the chance to be a starter somewhere.  There is no chance of him signing as the backup here and I for one wish him all of the success in the world, except against the Vikings of course.

I still see him get shit on on this and other boards quite a bit, even after all he has done for the Vikings this year, and that for no other reason makes me root for the guy.