Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
49ers acquire Jimmy Garoppolo in trade with Patriots
Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
Patriots looking at that strong QB class next year...
No doubt.  They must feel pretty comfortable with Brady for at least the next year or to and are looking to pick up another developmental guy.

Quote: @"Bolstad79" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
only a second rounder?  That is shockingly low IMO.  If a winless team makes a trade this late into the season for a QB i have to think that they are saying this is our guy,  I would also think that prior to making that trade they would have the frame work of an extension in place to ensure that they dont lose that pending free agent.  I am shocked that they got him for essentially a late first round pick.
I would think they could have gotten more this past off-season.
yea, we were being told a first rounder this off season but no one must have offered.

So they pick him in the low second round invested a few years and are now getting back a high second.  Good move for the Pats its not like they were going to outbid anyone for him when someone would be offering starting money.

The 49ers need to make something happen. QBs will make or break a team in the NFL obviously. A very good QB gives you a fighting chance for the playoffs each year and reduces the team's overall margin for error in any given game. 

Expect Denver to do something like this because they've got nothing but hot garbage at the position on their roster. Lynch was a huge swing and a miss, the guy stinks so bad. They will be active QB players in next year's draft.

One less destination for Kirk Cousins...hmmmm....

What the Jimmy Garoppolo trade means for the Minnesota Vikings Jimmy Garoppolo being traded has an impact on what the Vikings could wind up doing at quarterback in 2018.
xJimmy Garoppolo was traded from the New England Patriots to the San Francisco 49ers on Monday night in a move that has sent shockwaves throughout the entire NFL and has major implications for several teams.
Looking at the trade for the 49ers, it means that John Lynch and Kyle Shanahan now have the quarterback in place that they will attempt to build around. With the team sitting at 0-8, they could have had their pick of the litter at the top of the 2018 NFL Draft in a strong quarterback class.
It also means that Kirk Cousins now appears to be off the table for San Francisco in a marriage that many had penciled in. It feels unlikely that Cousins is franchised for a third year in a row by the Washington Redskins and he could hit the free agent market.
Scratch the 49ers off the list.
A team that could be on the list, however, is the Minnesota Vikings.
This is of course contingent on what happens with Teddy Bridgewater and his return to the field. Like Garoppolo, Teddy Bridgewater will have eight games in the second half of this season to give the franchise an extended look at if he can be the franchise guy moving forward.
(The Minnesota Vikings are working to stay at the top of the NFC North throughout the 2017 season --Don't miss out on the action. Sign up for our FREE newsletter today!)
The Vikings could be an extremely attractive option for prospective quarterbacks if Bridgewater is determined to not be the guy moving forward. Drew Brees is set to be a free agent along with Cousins and the Vikings give whoever is under center a team that is ready to win now and win big with a loaded roster.
Of course, Bridgewater succeeding makes all of this invalid.
At the end of the day, the 49ers making this deal makes for one less team getting involved in 2018's literal arms race. Quarterbacks are hard to come by in the NFL, but one of the first dominoes have fallen in terms of franchise signal-callers across the league moving forward.
Follow Vikings on 247Sports' Anthony Broome on Twitter and Facebook

Quote: @"Hidalgo" said:
@"Bolstad79" said:
@"Hidalgo" said:
I'm really glad the Packers didn't trade for Garoppolo
I wish they would have, that would have been awesome. 
I would not want the Vikings to face Garoppolo twice a year for the next 15 years.
That would have had him playing until after 40...Wink  

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Hidalgo" said:
@"Bolstad79" said:
@"Hidalgo" said:
I'm really glad the Packers didn't trade for Garoppolo
I wish they would have, that would have been awesome. 
I would not want the Vikings to face Garoppolo twice a year for the next 15 years.
That would have had him playing until after 40...Wink  
Tom Brady is 40. +  Packers quarterbacks seem to stick around a long time

Quote:
havent we seen this before. dude started 2 games. had 4 tds. while playing for eventual SB champions. now we have fans afraid to play against a qb that no one (lot of bad teams and qbs) would entertain even giving up a 1st rounder nxt year. 

also, if nxt years qb class is so good why did one of the top 3 teams looking for a young qb just make a trade for a qb that allegedly deserves a big contract. 

kirk cousins excitement? pass. i like my qbs to not throw multiple pick sixes in a year or ints on last drive of game. 

but; what do i know. i like our playes and dont think everybody elses players are better. 

give me a healthy Case or Teddy or Sam over 2 starts QB or Pick 6 QB

Our very own VikeFans twitter feed here mentioned that teams reached out to the Vikings about Kyle Sloter. Vikings have no interest in moving him, so that pretty much says he's going to stay on the roster when they move Teddy up. Bradford to IR? 4 QBs on the roster?

Interesting to see that about Sloter.  Of course, that doesn't specify what was offered, so it could be really just marketing.  But I do agree that he is staying on the roster.  Bradford to IR is the likely step.