Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
About Waynes...
When's the last time Waynes turned his head to find the ball when he sees the receivers hands go up or out for the reception? He simply has no ball awareness. For a guy with his supposed speed, he consistently lets his man get behind him and is always trying to close  the gap late in the route.

I wouldn't be nearly as hard on the guy if he had been taken in the 3rd or 4th round, but you don't spend that kind of collateral on that big of a project. Nothing in his collegiate career should have caused our scouts to fear losing him to another team prior to the 3rd rd.  

I prefer Waynes over Gedeon. 

Quote: @mgobluevikes said:
When's the last time Waynes turned his head to find the ball when he sees the receivers hands go up or out for the reception? He simply has no ball awareness. For a guy with his supposed speed, he consistently lets his man get behind him and is always trying to close  the gap late in the route.

I wouldn't be nearly as hard on the guy if he had been taken in the 3rd or 4th round, but you don't spend that kind of collateral on that big of a project. Nothing in his collegiate career should have caused our scouts to fear losing him to another team prior to the 3rd rd.  
Bingo! He never plays the ball. He just tries to read the receivers eyes to punch it out which gets him called for PI. You can see team after team targeting him for long periods of time. He's fast and tackles well, maybe a safety in the making...

My biggest complaint with Waynes is he never turns his head.  Also, he normally is trailing the receiver, he can't depend on his speed like he did in college.

And yet, we had the third overall D last year, third against the pass...go figure...

http://www.nfl.com/stats/team?seasonId=2016&seasonType=&Submit=Go

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
And yet, we had the third overall D last year, third against the pass...go figure...

http://www.nfl.com/stats/team?seasonId=2016&seasonType=&Submit=Go
Yeah but that does not mean that EVERY defensive player is playing great. Waynes is not terrible. Nobody is saying that. Those who refute that position are refuting a point not made. But he is the weakest link on the defense. I think only Barr was a higher pick than Waynes. (Maybe Newman?) I think his celing is pretty low. I suspect he won't ever be much better than he is now. 

Keep in mind for the most part today he was playing againest 2nd and 3rd string recievers.

Waynes is above average and getting better. It took Rhodes a few years too. I've been exasperated with Waynes at times but it's easy to see how much better he's gotten. Sendejo too. To me that shows a good player and good coaching. It's encouraging.

Waynes is getting what he needed most, more playing time.  If he was a bad as some on hear think he wouldn't be starting and getting any praise from Zimmer.  How does he intercept any passes when he "never" gets his head around?  Rhodes in year three wasn't any better, remember him getting torched by Erin/abused by Jordy?  He gets better with each game he starts.

I think both Waynes and Alexander were both in this catch 22 of needing to get more playing time to develop and not being better than Newman/Munnerlyn to get playing time.  I think Waynes is a little behind schedule in his development, but is developing into a good enough CB.  I don't think he's top 10 or anything, but he doesn't need to be.  Most importantly, he's not a liability.