Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
About Waynes...
I have been a silent supporter of his and cant believe some of the negative things I read about him as a second corner. Just curious for those that aren't fans of his, how many other #2 corners from other teams would you rate better than him overall? 

I cant seem to get past maybe 2 or 3 other #2's on other teams I would rather have than him. PFF has him as a terrible corner but they also have rhodes as like the #30 corner this year too. Doesn't hold any weight to me in this instance. His run stopping is top notch and his ball and cover skills have really improved from what I can see. Thoughts?

Waynes gets too much flak from fans IMO...  he has had some trouble with in-breaking routes this season, but overall I think he's improved a lot since last year.

As you said, he's been very good in run support minus a few plays against Detroit, his tackling has improved by leaps and bounds, and his coverage on side line routes has been solid.  He's also learned how to be "handsy" without drawing a flag.

He's an ascending player IMO.  We'll see if he can continue to take that next step...

You're not alone.  I've never understood the outright disrespect he's gotten from some.  We all see things differently, I guess... but it's almost like- unless a player is perfect- he's a bum.  Waynes isn't the best CB in the world... and maybe, due to his draft position, some people think he should be.  On the other hand, it's quite possible that other people felt like "their" draft pick should've been who the Vikes picked; and when the team went a different way, those folks held a grudge...?

He can be the Sandejo too Harry

I keep wanting to like Waynes more, but his play does not warrant it. As for better tandems, off the top of my head I would say the Jaguars have 2 corners better than Waynes, the Giants have 3 corners I would take over Waynes, the Broncos do, too, the Chargers have 2 better corners, the Patriots have 2 ......  And is that really the test? Waynes is not terrible, but you draft a guy at 11 and the best you can say is he's not that bad?  The Cowboys took the Michigan corner in the third round and I would take him over Waynes. There are probably other teams with 2 better corners but I'm not going to research it. Not sure how anyone can say he is not a disappointment considering where he was taken.

I like Waynes and have said so since Day 1. He's not perfect, but he's got excellent recovery speed and he's a very willing tackler in the run game. 

It been 3 years and he is still a work in progress. My guess without looking, he may be the leading tackler on the team.
But I look at him as the weak link in the secondary.

Waynes seems to be doing better.  He gets targeted a lot and is mostly holding up well.  His playing time has been extended this year as he has finally matured.

Passes defended:
Smith: 6
Waynes: 4
Rhodes: 4
Barr: 3

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-...s-defenses

Tackles
Kendricks: 40
Sandejo: 37
Waynes: 36
Smith: 32
Barr: 31

Not sure if that tells us tons though.

In 2016 Waynes and Rhodes both has 11 passes defended.

I like Waynes, but he gives up too many plays that he shouldn't.  It has been said in here, and multiple other places, but he relies on his speed to much.  That was great in college when he was faster than everyone, but obviously that gap closes in the pros.  That being said though, he is improving.  I think a lot of the knock on him was where he was taken in the draft, but you can't put that on him.  We have had ALOT worse corners.  I think eventually he will come into his own, and we will stop worrying about using a first on him.

We are truly spoiled with our defensive talent. And any imperfection sticks out like a sore thumb. It's beyond ridiculous to me the amount of grief Waynes gets. Is he perfect? No. But even if he makes a bonehead play, he usually redeems himself. He's still learning and settling in but he has grown a lot along the way. Sometimes he plays too far off, especially after a penalty. And he needs to watch his hands and positioning. His speed serve him well and when he makes an interception, he reads the play well.