Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looming QB Decision just got a little more urgent today
Quote: @Riphawkins said:
21 months since Teddy layed regular season real football. If he comes off PUP this week they have 3 weeks to evaluate him before bringing him to active roster. That makes it 22 months.
I think its going to take more than that to get him in a game. If things are going along well and the Vikings are winning the division would you upset the chemistry of the team and bring him in around week 12 or 13 just because you think he might be ready?
It might derail a good thing they have going on.
Not that late in the year. If things are going well, you stay with it. But if Teddy were ready today ("ready" being a loaded word) I'd put him in tomorrow. He's just a better QB than Keenum. 

Quote: @Riphawkins said:
21 months since Teddy layed regular season real football. If he comes off PUP this week they have 3 weeks to evaluate him before bringing him to active roster. That makes it 22 months.
I think its going to take more than that to get him in a game. If things are going along well and the Vikings are winning the division would you upset the chemistry of the team and bring him in around week 12 or 13 just because you think he might be ready?
It might derail a good thing they have going on.
Define "well"  the last three weeks are not well by my definition.  Keenum is a back up,  Teddy and Sam are starters.  Get the better QB on the field as soon as they are ready.  The defense is going to stumbe from time to time and we need an offense that can pick them up.

Don't forget Sam missed as much or more time with his back to back ACL's

Quote: @NodakViking said:
@TBro said:
With the news from Jay Glazier today that Bradford's injury makes it likely he won't be ready again for the foreseeable future and it could possibly be career ending, and the division race opening up with Rodgers likely out for the rest of the year, I think we need to push all of our QB chips to the center of the table if Teddy is Ready. I have been one of the loudest advocates of not rushing Teddy back, and not burning the final year of his contract. After Keenum's up and down performance today and the division well within our grasp with the way Detroit and Chicago are playing, I have changed my tune. If Teddy looks good during his 3 weeks of evaluation, I say we activate him so he is ready to play after the bye week. I still give the start to Case, but we need an experienced backup and a contingency plan for the playoff push if Case regresses back to his old ways like he usually does.  
I think we have to give Case the same benefit of doubt with all the excuses Sam had about crappy teams he played on.  But I agree if Teddy is 100% and looking back to himself activate him to back up Case until needed to either rally or take over due to injury.  All signs/info points to Teddy by ready sooner rather than later.  Nice pocket ace to have....

Now we just need to avoid further injuries.

I think "give Case the same benefit of doubt with all the excuses Sam had about crappy teams he played on" is upside-down. Bradford was productive last season with a horrible OL and inept running game; he was the BEST player on our offensive unit. Keenum has played with a competent OL, better run production, and good-to-excellent receivers; he is kind of the weakest link. In 5 games, he has been impressive in 1 (Tampa); he played badly in 2 and OK in 2. When other units can carry the game, Keenum is OK to have along for the ride.

Vikings have a big QB conundrum but the schedule might be on their side right now. Next two games should be winnable with Keenum and the bye week follows. So the second half of the season starts in 27 days, and we should hope that's enough time for either Bradford or Bridgewater to be ready to play. 

A lot will be determined by Sam's status. 
 If he does have a career ending injury then you HAVE TO find if Teddy is still  capable of playing and is your franchise QB before next spring.
If Sam's injury is something is not going prevent him from playing in the NFL then the Vikings are facing the tough decisions at QB again.  Especially if Sam's injury is something that could keep reoccurring.

Quote: @NodakViking said:
@TBro said:
With the news from Jay Glazier today that Bradford's injury makes it likely he won't be ready again for the foreseeable future and it could possibly be career ending, and the division race opening up with Rodgers likely out for the rest of the year, I think we need to push all of our QB chips to the center of the table if Teddy is Ready. I have been one of the loudest advocates of not rushing Teddy back, and not burning the final year of his contract. After Keenum's up and down performance today and the division well within our grasp with the way Detroit and Chicago are playing, I have changed my tune. If Teddy looks good during his 3 weeks of evaluation, I say we activate him so he is ready to play after the bye week. I still give the start to Case, but we need an experienced backup and a contingency plan for the playoff push if Case regresses back to his old ways like he usually does.  
I think we have to give Case the same benefit of doubt with all the excuses Sam had about crappy teams he played on.  But I agree if Teddy is 100% and looking back to himself activate him to back up Case until needed to either rally or take over due to injury.  All signs/info points to Teddy by ready sooner rather than later.  Nice pocket ace to have....

Now we just need to avoid further injuries.

I think this is the right approach. Activate Teddy to Backup and let him come in when needed. Takes the pressure off of him and continuity remains without a big shakeup. 

Keenum is playing decent ball.  He certainly has the passion.  I see no reason to throw Teddy out there to replace Keenum at this point.  The real question is about Sam and did we use a 1st and 4th for 16 games on him?

Case is playing 500 ball consistently over the last 3
years.  He’s playing well enough that you
don’t put in a subpar option and hope they play better but he’s not good enough
to not have any competition.

I think you let Case play until Bridgewater or Bradford make
a compelling argument that they are better than him in practice.  Both Bridgewater and Bradford, when healthy,
are clearly a level above Case, but are they right now?  I doubt it. 
Bridgewater is likely very rusty and needs some live practice to build
some confidence in his knee and Bradford looked like a cripple the last time we
saw him out there.  If Keenum gets
injured, put in Bridgewater and see what happens otherwise make him earn the
start.

Okay, Teddy is a great person but lets not forget that we still had a lot of "hope" going into last season that he was going to continue to improve.  I get a feeling that some are remembering his play as elite level.  In reality Case hasn't played any more poorly than Teddy.  In fact, he currently has a better QBR and rating than Teddy's '15 season and his projected totals for yards, tds and ints are better. 

What I'm saying is that we have no proof that Teddy would be doing much better than Case is had the injury never happened or that he can coming back from it.  Sam came in cold last season and put up numbers last season considerably better than Teddy's.  The team was 31st in passing ypg and passing touchdowns in '15... so I believe there were still questions whether or not he was the guy.  Those questions should be greater now.   

Quote: @CLOBIMON said:
Okay, Teddy is a great person but lets not forget that we still had a lot of "hope" going into last season that he was going to continue to improve.  I get a feeling that some are remembering his play as elite level.  In reality Case hasn't played any more poorly than Teddy.  In fact, he currently has a better QBR and rating than Teddy's '15 season and his projected totals for yards, tds and ints are better. 

What I'm saying is that we have no proof that Teddy would be doing much better than Case is had the injury never happened or that he can coming back from it.  Sam came in cold last season and put up numbers last season considerably better than Teddy's.  The team was 31st in passing ypg and passing touchdowns in '15... so I believe there were still questions whether or not he was the guy.  Those questions should be greater now.   
The vast majority of his stats have come against injury-riddled Defenses. Let's see what happens when he faces teams that aren't missing their pass rush or entire LB Corps or most of their Secondary.

And he's playing behind a better Line than Teddy ever has with a far more polished set of Receivers.

I'm not automatically assuming Teddy will come back and look better. I am positive that Keenum is not good enough to take this team passed the 1st Round of the Playoffs. A truly healthy Teddy might be, though.