Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can we put natural grass in the new stadium?
Quote: @"Tom Moore" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Tom Moore" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Tom Moore" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Tom Moore" said:
The field did not cause his injury.  Teddy's knee got hurt in a non contact drill.  It was not turf.  He literally was standing still and tossing a ball

the turf is not causing the issue.  The unnatural size of players is putting too much stress in joints and ligaments.  Meanwhile, Teddy's was a freak accident.  Eric Sugarman said his injury could have happened to any of us in our showers.  Scary
I have a hard time believing that Teddy didnt have some sort of preexisting issue that just let go at the time of the injury.
They say he didn't.  Freak accidents do happen
getting struck by lightning is a freak accident,  having a perfectly healthy knee explode for no reason is just unheard of.  I have been suspicious since it happened,  but hey,  nothing to gain from arguing over it so it is what it is...  
no argument.  We've been told the exact details of the injury.  It was like tossing the ball in your back yard with a FB
I wasnt doubting the story of how it it happened that day,  just that the knee was healthy prior to that taking place... you just dont hear of something like that happening for no reason.
It was very odd.  The next morning, I was standing in my shower, and realizing if it happened to me, there's no Eric Sugarman to save me!
of course not,  what would Sugarman be doing  in your shower Tom....  I have to admit,  I find it kind of disturbing that you think about Sugarman when you are showering.   :p

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
I doubt the field gets enough direct sunlight in the late fall/winter/early spring months to keep grass alive.
OK back on track guys.  Smile  

Honestly, at this point, bring in artificial light if you have to.  That can't be more expensive than losing your multi-million dollar assets to injury every year.

I couldn't remember what type of field Teddy was on which is why I didn't mention his injury, but still, this team has suffered a tremendous amount of injuries the past 13-14 months.  And I've seen multiple studies that point to increased knee injuries on even the newer versions of artificial turf.  To be fair, there are also studies that suggest it's no different, but my eyes tell me that these types of non-contact severe knee injuries happen way more often on artificial turf.

Apparently, I'm not the only one who thinks so.

http://www.nbcsports.com/video/minnesota...oks-injury

putting in a grass field severely limits it's multi use.

I think the issue would be drainage and the associated humidity of the moisture necessary to keep it alive-I think the light issue is easy enough to overcome.

So if Teddy's injury was truly him just standing there tossing the ball it would explain how he has made a pretty quick and set back free(knock on wood) recovery.  I would think the potential for other more extensive damage would be lessened because the force being applied wasn't unusually extreme.

@"Tom Moore" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Tom Moore" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Tom Moore" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Tom Moore" said:
The field did not cause his injury.  Teddy's knee got hurt in a non contact drill.  It was not turf.  He literally was standing still and tossing a ball

the turf is not causing the issue.  The unnatural size of players is putting too much stress in joints and ligaments.  Meanwhile, Teddy's was a freak accident.  Eric Sugarman said his injury could have happened to any of us in our showers.  Scary
I have a hard time believing that Teddy didnt have some sort of preexisting issue that just let go at the time of the injury.
getting struck by lightning is a freak accident,  having a perfectly healthy knee explode for no reason is just unheard of.  I have been suspicious since it happened,  but hey,  nothing to gain from arguing over it so it is what it is...  
no argument.  We've been told the exact details of the injury.  It was like tossing the ball in your back yard with a FB
I wasnt doubting the story of how it it happened that day,  just that the knee was healthy prior to that taking place... you just dont hear of something like that happening for no reason.
It was very odd.  The next morning, I was standing in my shower, and realizing if it happened to me, there's no Eric Sugarman to save me!
of course not,  what would Sugarman be doing  in your shower Tom....  I have to admit,  I find it kind of disturbing that you think about Sugarman when you are showering.   :p

Eric is a good looking man....

Quote: @"PapaScott" said:

Very true, but not living in Minnesota, how many other events have they really had there?

Quote: @"Tom Moore" said:
@"PapaScott" said:

Very true, but not living in Minnesota, how many other events have they really had there?
I'm not sure, but I know the Metrodome was used over 300 days out of the year.  It would be a shame (and irritating) to me if its much more expensive replacement wasn't used as much.

Quote: @"NodakViking" said:
I think the issue would be drainage and the associated humidity of the moisture necessary to keep it alive-I think the light issue is easy enough to overcome.

So if Teddy's injury was truly him just standing there tossing the ball it would explain how he has made a pretty quick and set back free(knock on wood) recovery.  I would think the potential for other more extensive damage would be lessened because the force being applied wasn't unusually extreme.
Drainage and humidity would be pretty simplegit actually.  A subsurface collection system like the one in target field and some commercial air exchangers,  problem solved.

@"Tom Moore" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Tom Moore" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Tom Moore" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Tom Moore" said:

Not that there,s anything wrong with that

Agree with Tom that the size of these players is having a negative effect on their health. The muscles are too big for the tendons. Olineman need to be 330+ lbs and RB's need to have legs like tree trunks. 

Meanwhile they spend an insane amount of time focusing on the weight room instead of how to play the game. The Training Camp schedule is tiny, practices limited. 

We have these massive beasts of humans who's bodies are over muscled, and aren't used to performing under the stress that they get put through. 

And funny that much power and strength lends itself to other things that the league needs to deal with. Like concussions. Time to take the emphasis off of the absurd physical make up and go back to playing the game skillfully.