Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
With Likely Return of Bridgewater, Big Roster Decision Coming
Three plus weeks out and so many variables: 
  • Teddy not fully healthy this season, leave him on PUP (or move to injured reserve if need be -- I don't recall the rules).
  • Bradford continues to not improve and Teddy is ready, put Bradford on IR.
  • Team assesses Sloter in practice and is not impressed, cut him.
  • Bradford healthy, Teddy is ready, Sloter looks good in practice, try to trade Keenum.
I believe Teddy's rookie contract is tolled this year because of the PUP designation and therefore he is still under contract for next year.  I may be wrong, but that is my recollection.

Bridgewater can come off PUP October 16.

NFL Trading Deadline is October 31.

nice problem to have.

Ted would have to be awfully ready to play (not just practice) before I'd put him on the active roster. Not sure how well they can make that call in the middle of a season. 

If they have to? Carry 4 qb's. No way I lose Sloter - not with the questions on Sam and Teddy.  Odds are uncomfortably high for me that both could be out of the league in 2 years. 

this is a huge decision, can make or break ricky and Zim. 

You cut Sloter.

He wasnt on a 53 a couple weeks ago. We offered him big money to play on the practice squad. If we cut him, why wouldnt he clear waivers? It'd be pretty surprising if he didn't. From there, he gets to choose his practice squad again. Why wouldn't he want to stay here and keep plugging away? Does getting called up and sent back down offend the guy so much that he doesnt want to deal with us anymore? ... i doubt it.

AND, he is a free agent at the end of the year anyways, right? If another team wants to pony up to give him a look, why would we compete?

I liked his preseason tape and like the "potential." I also like roster spots. We have 2 young QBs and a veteran who all have started games in this league. We need the depth at every position... And Sloter probably isnt going to sit around and wait for us to figure out deals with other guys first.

Sloter feels ready
Current backup quarterback Kyle Sloter wasn’t sure what he was hearing during some of Pat Shurmur’s play calls last week in Pittsburgh. That wasn’t an issue against the Buccaneers, Sloter said Monday.
“First thing I did was come off the field and talk to [Shurmur] about how comfortable I felt with the play calls,” Sloter said. “This week I really went back and put in some long hours and tried to understand the playbook as much as I could. This game I felt it all came together.”
http://www.startribune.com/dalvin-cook-s-big-workload-with-vikings-demands-he-maintain-his-body-with-newfound-necessities/447821133/

Can we keep Teddy on Pup and still retain his rights for next season?  If so, that is what I would most likely do unless he is looking lights-out which I doubt.  

Teddy won't be game ready for several weeks after coming off PUP.  If he is eventually ready move Sloter back to the PS.  They are paying him enough to keep him.

They didn't pay Sloter 3 times the going rate for practice squad and then put him on the active roster to cut him. Could they put him back on the PS at his old pay rate? Sure could.