Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
With Likely Return of Bridgewater, Big Roster Decision Coming
Word is that Teddy Bridgewater IS ready for full participation when he comes off the PUP list in 3 weeks. 

Not only will Mike Zimmer have to select from a supposedly healthy Sam Bradford and a healthy Teddy Bridgewater, he also has to make a roster decision regarding who gets cut.

in fact, when Michael Floyd comes back in a week, Zimmer will have to chose which WR gets released.  It won't be Jarius Wright, it will likely either be Rodney Adams or Stacy Coley.  Both have more potential than LaQuon Treadwell, but no way they give up on a relatively high #1 choice this early after just 19 games.   Expect it to be Adams, as he has been deactivated from every game so far, now it is just a question of if he can pass through waivers unclaimed - he was a 5th rounder.

Meanwhile, Sam Bradford has to be the #1 QB, unless he sits 3 more weeks.  However, if he does that, and Keenum plays decent, I would think Shurmur would roll with Keenum to give Teddy more practices to get ready.   But, then, the question becomes, who do you cut?   You may say, "well, that's easy, you dump Kyle Sloter, as he becomes the 4th QB on a team that needs either 2 or 3.

But, that is a problem too.  The Vikings paid Sloter $27k a week to be on the practice squad because they liked him so much.  He is big, tall, rangy and a big arm.  He also knocked-the-socks off the Broncos in preseason play.  But, the Broncos cut him, hoping to put him on their own practice squad.  But, Sloter took the bigger financial offer.  Assuming (and a pretty good assumption) that either Sam or Teddy is not in Minnesota next year, then you need a quality #3 (or maybe he is a #2).  So, why cut him and run the risk that someone else picks him up?

Keeping 4 QBs is a luxury most teams simply do not have. However, having just 2 next training camp is not a scenario that the QB-starved Vikings can risk.

Cut Teddy loose, let him go find a job somewhere if he really can come back.    Bradford, Keenum and Sloter is a good 3 man rotation, only reason to hang on to Teddy is sentiment which is bad business.   Based on his past performance and injury issue he's high risk/low reward at this point.  Cut ties.

I will let the guys that are paid to do that job worry about it.

Quote: @greediron said:
I will let the guys that are paid to do that job worry about it.
I found a nickel on the turf of Heinz Field, but I am not making that decision.

My biggest fear in being a fan for so long, will the Randall Cunningham decision over Brad Johnson.  You had to sign Cunningham after his monster 1998 season, but then lost a young Brad Johnson who still had an arm and a lot of years to go.  Instead, we got 3 games from Cunningham, and then he was gone.

I don't care which one we keep (actually, that's not true - I think Bradford is the better overall NFL QB), I just don't want to be wrong again.  Let us have a starting caliber QB for just 5-7 years, it is our turn!

I like Sam, I really do.  I was high on him when he came out of college, but he can't shake his knock from back then.  He can't stay healthy.  In college it was the shoulder, then in the pros the knee.  If he could stay healthy and in the same system with a team built around him I think he would really shine.  However, his health is too big of a variable.  Case, had one good game.  I really hope it wasn't a fluke and maybe this team is a good fit.  Would I risk my future on him?  Eh, the jury is out but probably not.  Teddy, I really want to come back and shut up his haters.  That being said though, his knee really scares me.  If he doesn't go down last year, I think he takes a huge step forward.  The new kid?  As far as I care he is the next John David Booty, or any other QB we took a flier on.  Show me something, then I will believe.

For the receivers I have such little faith in Treadwell, but I don't think we can move on yet (this season.)  Maybe we are asking too much, too fast, or maybe he is stuck behind some good players.  I just don't see anything when he is on the field.  Someone said his biggest issue is he can't get separation.  I agree, but maybe time will change that.

So what do we do?  See how the rest of the season plays out for Tread.  If he doesn't show improvement, try and get what we can from him.  I'm not talking 200 yard games, just making the most out of the opportunities he gets.  For the QB, and I'm probably going to get lit up for this, I think you let Sam walk.  Unless he is willing to sign a team friendly deal, the risk doesn't match the reward.  We were all in on Teddy, (Albeit, he was Teddy Two Knees back then) and that is the stance I think we take again. 

Quote: @Tom Moore said:
Word is that Teddy Bridgewater IS ready for full participation when he comes off the PUP list in 3 weeks. 
Tom, I know you have sources. I know you might not be able to reveal things explicitly.

But: is this solid? Because all I have heard is the Ian Rapaport report from a week or so ago, and his source was Bridgewater.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@Tom Moore said:
Tom, I know you have sources. I know you might not be able to reveal things explicitly.

But: is this solid? Because all I have heard is the Ian Rapaport report from a week or so ago, and his source was Bridgewater.
It is solid - does not mean they will activate him fro the PUP until they need to.  He won't have practiced with the team while on the PUP, he can only do rehab work and individual drills with a trainer.  So, his timing won't be there and he won't be in game-shape.  He will be in physical shape, just not game ready.  

BTW - in camp, he was not close to ready.  He had virtually no lateral movement, and that was just 7 weeks ago.  He looks a darn bit better than Sharrif Floyd, whose career is 99% likely over.  They were working out side by side with Latavious Maurray.

I think you have to just keep 4 QBs or waive Sloter.  Adams will be gone for Floyd.  After that, I would have no problems getting rid of Coley to keep Sloter on the roster.

But also, I'm pretty sure he doesn't have to come off the PUP after week 6.  He can practice with the team for 3 weeks without coming off the PUP, which I expect the Vikings would exploit in his situation unless Bradford's situation is really dire.  They can also keep him on the PUP for up to another 6 weeks.  I can't see them doing that, as there would be more value in getting him practicing and being a backup in a playoff run, than keeping Sloter or Coley on the roster.

i dont see why they need to activate him from the PUP. Let him continue to rehab rather than weakening the roster.