Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Mmmmmm....highly doubtful
I said the same thing on another board. You'ld think I Pee'd in their Cherios...

"I like JJM clearly, and we all have to agree the future of the Vikings rides on his shoulders, but the hype is begining to be too much.

I think that his training and ramp up has been highly scripted. Almost all of his "highlights" have been in 7 on 7 drills where there is no pressure put on the QB, something that I think we all can agree is not the case in games. Then add in that, KOC has said he will take his time, and JJM will go thru the progressions of milestones to get him prepared to step in as the starter.

I do see him as the eventual starter but I think we will all be better of taking the hype with a grain of salt. Hopefully we will see where he is Saturday when he will get live snaps against another teams defenders without the benifit of the NO TOUCH red jersey. I am thinking each QB gets a quarter to take the field and test their wares as ream leader. If a typical game has 60 - 80 offensive snaps I would think 1 or 2 drives each will be the script. We really need to see him perform in some game scenarios. My biggest question right now seems to be his prpensity to stare down his targets will little to no progression during plays. Hopefully I am dead wrong, and we will see it Saturday. Success at this level requires the abililty to move defendes with his eyes."

I just hope they don't rush him out there and ruin his chances of being special.
People sleep peacably at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rf54's post:

I think a lot of this gets distorted by the sports media's fixation on high draft picks, and their disdain for "yesterday's news". There's nothing worse than falling off of their radar, and returning...because, if they miss the redemption story, someone else makes them look dumb.

I can't pretend to know how this season will play out, with the changes in players and resulting changes in chemistry...but, Darnold has to see this as his best chance to redeem himself. It may also be his only chance, particularly at starting again. As promising as JJM is, and I hope he brings us many years of victories and glory...I feel like too many people are pushing to look past Darnold.
LET'S WREAK SOME FUGGIN' HAVOK, VIKINGS!!! SKOL!!!

(08-05-2024, 04:17 PM)MaroonBells Wrote: I also believe KOC wants to give Darnold his legit shot.

Translation: Even if JJ is better than Darnold, KOC is willing to tank 2024 to "protect" McCarthy. That would go well in the locker room:

"Well guys I know we're 2-6 and Sam has 13 turnovers but I'm going to keep playing him so all you guys will just have to accept finishing last for the sake of JJ's future".

I'm sure the defense in particular would looove hearing the coachspeak version of that.

(08-06-2024, 01:11 AM)RS_Express Wrote: Translation: Even if JJ is better than Darnold, KOC is willing to tank 2024 to "protect" McCarthy.  That would go well in the locker room:

"Well guys I know we're 2-6 and Sam has 13 turnovers but I'm going to keep playing him so all you guys will just have to accept finishing last for the sake of JJ's future". 

I'm sure the defense in particular would looove hearing the coachspeak version of that.

No, that's the dingbat translation. What it really means is McCarthy is too important to the future of the franchise to throw him into the fire before he's ready. Too many fans think training camp shells IS the fire. It's not.
[-] The following 2 users Like MaroonBells's post:

I think all of us on this board understand that this is hype about JJM. This doesn't mean there's not some truth to it, i.e. he's doing well, looking good, making throws, etc. So far, so good I think we can all agree on....it's early. But internet hype works for all of the content creators that are trying to get paid by clicks and views, and I mean any kind of hype (good or bad). These are overwhelmingly kids under 30 years old that don't have a clue what they are looking at or have zero perspective what 7 on 7s are, etc. But they know that strong takes, either way, get some people motivated to respond, click, etc. Its mostly contrived. Its why a guy like Kevin Seifert, ESPN Viking's beat guy, gets so much shit from the younger fans: he's too boring and 'negative' (because he's not being over the top with his takes). 

But at the same time, you sift through the obvious hyperbole and you can still be excited about McCarthy. His early accuracy has frankly surprised me (it was a weakness, I thought) and that all-day elite arm just continues to impress. A ways to go, but it seems like he's got a NFL processor chip, so fingers crossed. The best thing that could possibly happen this year.....by a WIDE margin.....is for McCarthy to hit. We have a long way to go to find that out, but enjoying what I'm seeing so far.

I don't think it has anything to do with giving Darnold a chance.  KOC wants Darnold to do well because: (a) who doesn't want to win?; and (b) it will keep the pressure off of playing JJ in Year 1.  Everything I have heard from KOC suggests he hopes like hell to give JJ a full year on the bench.  And let's face it, with Darnold on a 1-year contract, even if he goes 17-0 and wins us a Super Bowl, he won't be our starting QB next year.

The interesting thing will be how KOC reacts if the team does not win and Darnold's play is spotty.  My guess is the heat gets too hot to keep JJ on the bench...
[-] The following 2 users Like PurplePorsche's post:

(08-06-2024, 06:48 AM)PurplePorsche Wrote: I don't think it has anything to do with giving Darnold a chance.  KOC wants Darnold to do well because: (a) who doesn't want to win?; and (b) it will keep the pressure off of playing JJ in Year 1.  Everything I have heard from KOC suggests he hopes like hell to give JJ a full year on the bench.  And let's face it, with Darnold on a 1-year contract, even if he goes 17-0 and wins us a Super Bowl, he won't be our starting QB next year.

The interesting thing will be how KOC reacts if the team does not win and Darnold's play is spotty.  My guess is the heat gets too hot to keep JJ on the bench...

Good post.

(08-06-2024, 06:48 AM)PurplePorsche Wrote: I don't think it has anything to do with giving Darnold a chance.  KOC wants Darnold to do well because: (a) who doesn't want to win?; and (b) it will keep the pressure off of playing JJ in Year 1.  Everything I have heard from KOC suggests he hopes like hell to give JJ a full year on the bench.  And let's face it, with Darnold on a 1-year contract, even if he goes 17-0 and wins us a Super Bowl, he won't be our starting QB next year.

Overall, pretty spot on.  If Darnold goes 17-0 and leads us to a Super Bowl win, he better be back.  Smile  At that point you pay the man all the remaining money and keep him for a few years, or franchise him.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Waterboy's post:

At the bold- this is by far the most likely scenario based on Darnold's track record. Sticking to my post-schedule release prediction, it'll be JJM after the bye.
[-] The following 1 user Likes pattersaur's post:

Na, of Sam goes 17-0 we'll be backing up the brinks truck for him....however unlikely that scenario might be.