Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Cine on the move?
Crazy good player, but I don’t think he’s recovered mentally from that injury. He’s not the same guy. A change may do him a lot of good just from a helping him move on from the injury standpoint.

(07-29-2024, 04:19 PM)Havoc Wrote: Crazy good player, but I don’t think he’s recovered mentally from that injury. He’s not the same guy. A change may do him a lot of good just from a helping him move on from the injury standpoint.

Like what is your evidence for thinking this?  To me, there’s no evidence that he’s a crazy good player at the NFL level.  He had like two defensive snaps through 4 games in 2022 and eight snaps in all of 2023.  They haven’t let him get on the field.  On special teams, I’ve never noticed him playing, even though he’s got snaps.  You’d think that with his speed, he’d be making an impact as a gunner, but he’s not.

For me, I’m chalking it up as he was just a super fast guy on a loaded Georgia defense that didn’t have to know too much, and is too dumb to understand NFL defenses.  I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that he lost some speed from the injury and now has little redeeming qualities.

It's been a while, so my memory is sparse, but did he have any real "intelligent" type attributes/highlights in college?  I just remember him having a lot of speed and tackling hard.

(07-30-2024, 09:58 AM)medaille Wrote: Like what is your evidence for thinking this?  To me, there’s no evidence that he’s a crazy good player at the NFL level.  He had like two defensive snaps through 4 games in 2022 and eight snaps in all of 2023.  They haven’t let him get on the field.  On special teams, I’ve never noticed him playing, even though he’s got snaps.  You’d think that with his speed, he’d be making an impact as a gunner, but he’s not.

For me, I’m chalking it up as he was just a super fast guy on a loaded Georgia defense that didn’t have to know too much, and is too dumb to understand NFL defenses.  I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that he lost some speed from the injury and now has little redeeming qualities.

It's been a while, so my memory is sparse, but did he have any real "intelligent" type attributes/highlights in college?  I just remember him having a lot of speed and tackling hard.

We can criticize the move down and letting Hamilton get by us, but let's not pretend we should've "Cine" this coming. Top 50 recruit, All-SEC for a very good national champion Georgia defense. Ran a 4.37. Cowboys had him ranked 13th overall. Compare that pedigree to 6th rounder Theo Jackson who is likely to take his place on the roster. Sometimes it just doesn't make sense. 

I hope there's something Kwesi and the scouting staff can learn from Cine, but I have no idea what it would be (other than maybe the move down). Roughly half of the players drafted in the 1st round never pay off, and that percentage never really improves over time.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MaroonBells's post:

(07-30-2024, 10:23 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: We can criticize the move down and letting Hamilton get by us, but let's not pretend we should've "Cine" this coming. Top 50 recruit, All-SEC for a very good national champion Georgia defense. Ran a 4.37. Cowboys had him ranked 13th overall. Compare that pedigree to 6th rounder Theo Jackson who is likely to take his place on the roster. Sometimes it just doesn't make sense. 

I hope there's something Kwesi and the scouting staff can learn from Cine, but I have no idea what it would be (other than maybe the move down). Roughly half of the players drafted in the 1st round never pay off, and that percentage never really improves over time.

It was the tri-fecta of stupidity;

- trading down well below market value while also bypassing some excellent players, including another safety who was universally thought of as a much better prospect in Hamilton if the Vikings really wanted to go the safety route

- trading with a division rival at below market value

- drafting a player in Cine who most had a mid to late second round grade on

That entire draft had all the signs of a green GM in his first draft trying to show everybody how smart he was only to have almost every move and draft pick blow up in his face. I was extremely worried this would be the Kwesi path moving forward, but the last two drafts have been better and I have high hopes for McCarthy and Turner being building blocks for this team moving forward.

(07-30-2024, 11:03 AM)supafreak84 Wrote: It was the tri-fecta of stupidity;

- trading down well below market value while also bypassing some excellent players, including another safety who was universally thought of as a much better prospect in Hamilton if the Vikings really wanted to go the safety route

That entire draft had all the signs of a green GM in his first draft trying to show everybody how smart he was only to have almost every move and draft pick blow up in his face. I was extremely worried this would be the Kwesi path moving forward, but the last two drafts have been better and I have high hopes for McCarthy and Turner being building blocks for this team moving forward.
Also factors:

Cine was drafted for a defensive scheme & DC that the Vikings no longer employ.

Cine was drafted based on the scouting of the prior regime. The college scouting department was retooled following that draft.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Knucklehead's post:

(07-30-2024, 11:32 AM)Knucklehead Wrote: Also factors:

Cine was drafted for a defensive scheme & DC that the Vikings no longer employ.

Cine was drafted based on the scouting of the prior regime. The college scouting department was retooled following that draft.

Which circles back to the core draft rule of just take the best player on the board instead of trying to get cute. Kwesi tried to get cute and it burned him. Luckily I think he learned from it. 

Bill Polian has said traditionally there are only around 15 true first round talents in a draft, so if you are in a position to draft one of those players, why would you move down outside of that range to take a lesser graded talent when your chances of hitting diminishes significantly? I thought of Kwesi's first draft when I heard this. Now Cine is likely going to be cut three years later.

Cine may get cut three years later but Kwesi is not the first GM to have a high pick get cut, happens all the time. Kwesi was really stupid to move so far down in the draft like he did but Rick didn't always hit on his 1st round picks either. No GM ever does, some players just don't make the jump into what it takes to make the league.

(07-30-2024, 11:03 AM)supafreak84 Wrote: It was the tri-fecta of stupidity;

Except for Supa. Supa saw it coming.

(07-30-2024, 12:05 PM)MaroonBells Wrote: Except for Supa. Supa saw it coming.

Yes, while you were touting Cine and Asamoah as future stars....Supa saw it coming
[-] The following 3 users Like supafreak84's post:

(07-30-2024, 12:36 PM)supafreak84 Wrote: Yes, while you were touting Cine and Asamoah as future stars....Supa saw it coming

Man, regardless of what anyone might think of KAM, and I've defended him but the jury is still very much out....that 2022 Draft was fucking brutal:
  • A part time starting RB, maybe? (Chandler)
  • A #3 WRer (maybe) after years of injuries (Nailor)
  • A starting RG....I guess? (Ingram)

[Image: gagging-gag.gif]
[-] The following 2 users Like StickierBuns's post: