Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Its a crazy world out there....
I think the issue is that there is a much lower level of tolerance for differences. You have to either be on one side or the other and while there have always been alternate views of things in society, I do not ever remember there always be such a strong opposition to opposing views.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JR44's post:

It’s an interesting world for sure. The list of “Security or Intelligence failures” that led to an incident is starting to get a little too long in recent history. I’m curious as to how many more security failures we can have before normies start to think that there really is a deep state behind these major world events.
[-] The following 1 user Likes medaille's post:

(07-15-2024, 04:12 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: This country will never be united again and its because of social media. I never bought into any societal doomsaying narratives over the many years, just drama and white noise. But now with social media? Anything is possible. Just another instrument of division used by those in power. Look what its doing to our youth. And politically, people will continue to be more and more divided incrementally. The media, as has been mentioned, deserves a mighty scoop of the blame as well. COVID and the shutdown has also permanently changed the mentality of Americans. The wealth disparity will continue. 

A crazy world indeed.

Its sad that when respected people try and point out the issues you bring up.... they get labeled, and even people coming from inside the major parties that call out their own are quickly burned at the stake to destroy their image. Look at Tulsi Gabbard, Elon Musk, Joe Rogan, and so many more that have stepped up and called out the bull shit, only to have their images/brands tarnished.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JimmyinSD's post:

(07-15-2024, 10:39 AM)JimmyinSD Wrote: Its sad that when respected people try and point out the issues you bring up.... they get labeled, and even people coming from inside the major parties that call out their own are quickly burned at the stake to destroy their image.  Look at Tulsi Gabbard, Elon Musk, Joe Rogan, and so many more that have stepped up and called out the bull shit,  only to have their images/brands tarnished.

That's a whole different discussion which I'm not going to get into. Let's just say the 3 people you mention here have made some salient points, but they've also said some monumentally stupid and ridiculous things. Musk is worth $200+ billion and Joe Rogan around $200 million....not sure how their brands have been tarnished.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StickierBuns's post:

(07-15-2024, 10:53 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: That's a whole different discussion which I'm not going to get into. Let's just say the 3 people you mention here have made some salient points, but they've also said some monumentally stupid and ridiculous things. Musk is worth $200+ billion and Joe Rogan around $200 million....not sure how their brands have been tarnished.

maybe I should have said have their dogs turn on them. They were all vilified by the left once they didnt toe the party line. The right does the same, you should see the shit show brewing right here in RED SD, there is fixing to be a major melt down of the republican party in the next legislative session if things continue down the path they are on now... me personally, I think its long overdue.

(07-15-2024, 11:27 AM)JimmyinSD Wrote: maybe I should have said have their dogs turn on them.  They were all vilified by the left once they didnt toe the party line.  The right does the same,  you should see the shit show brewing right here in RED SD, there is fixing to be a major melt down of the republican party in the next legislative session if things continue down the path they are on now... me personally,  I think its long overdue.

I saw some of that shit that the Far Left said about Rogan and Musk: ridiculousness. I find both extremes so maddening and disgusting....I know we can both agree on that. I just don't partake in consuming the shit out there. I see it and take a hard turn away. Better for my mood.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StickierBuns's post:

I'll bet this is a hard hitting article without a bit of hyperbole. How about we just argue our differences...without scaring the children.

[Image: GR5yJifbQAAq48a.png]

(07-15-2024, 07:31 AM)JR44 Wrote: I think the issue is that there is a much lower level of tolerance for differences.  You have to either be on one side or the other and while there have always been alternate views of things in society, I do not ever remember there always be such a strong opposition to opposing views.

Well said. It seems like most people in the real world are still pretty level-headed and can have civil discussions. Most. Certainly not all. But get that majority the internet and a keyboard and suddenly people wanna argue with total strangers and get themselves triggered in the name of standing up for their preferred rich old guy.

Most of these people I'd still love to chat with and can learn from-- in REAL life. Online? I do my best to avoid it all.
[-] The following 1 user Likes pattersaur's post:

911 was probably the last time i recall the country united...

I thought Covid would do the same, but it had just the opposite effect - to my consternation. The 2020 campaign, Jan 6 continued the division and widened differences.

Politicians today do nothing but denounce others at the expense of articulating true policy. Its no wonder the temp is what it is today in the country.

I get what many here are saying in that the country is permanently divided - I believe it myself most days. 

Sadly I also believe it will be the demise of the US globally.

All that said, I recall Richard Nixon frequently referencing a cohort in the US that he referred to as the silent majority of Americans

I do believe these moderates are still out there, there is a lot of them and they are not represented by the fringe on team blue or team red. 

Who just so happen to be the mouthpieces of both parties for too long. 

This is where I hang my hope hat these days.

Just remember, that a large chunk of internet is designed to get you to engage with it. Tech Company algorithms reward content creators that promote visceral responses from you whether it be feeding you stuff from your own echo chamber, feeding you stuff that makes you rageful, feeding you stuff that makes you aroused, etc. This includes “people” and "comments" on the internet, because much of the “people” on the internet are actually bots or farm accounts that are either trying to drive engagement, improved their AI models, or are astroturfing for whichever intelligence agency or company is paying for those services. If you don’t know the person 100% in real life, don’t assume that every shithead on the internet that spits out low effort comments that piss you off is a real person.
[-] The following 1 user Likes medaille's post: