Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Its a crazy world out there....
Sigh.

Is anybody surprised? The vile being spewed was bound to lead to this type of action eventually.

It is sad....

Our reality is that political violence and assassination is rooted in American history...

Lincoln
Garfield
McKinley
Kennedy (s)
Gerald Ford
MLK
Ron Reagan

Add Trump to the list. 

We're also really bad as a country at dealing with mental illness. It's not a priority.

(07-14-2024, 10:13 AM)JimmyinSD Wrote: Is anybody surprised?  The vile being spewed was bound to lead to this type of action eventually.

Not surprised in the least...

My own take is that politicians and the media are a big part of the causal. Everyone stays in their own echo chamber with their own news and stews and grouses about it on social media.

There's always going to be differences on spending, role of state vs fed govt etc...Whats gotten worse over time is the conservative center of both parties has been over-run by fringe. 

Will the country unite against political violence? Sadly I dont think so.
[-] The following 1 user Likes purplefaithful's post:

Our enemies (Iran, Russia, China, N Korea etc) are loving how divided we have become. I think a ton of the social media and fake news is generated from those countries to build on the division.

Unfortunately, a Country Divided is bound to fail.

I thought this country would be United for decades after 9/11 and when we got Osama Bin Laden. But the goodwill did not last even one decade and only became worse.
[-] The following 2 users Like minny65's post:

(07-14-2024, 10:14 AM)purplefaithful Wrote: It is sad....

And sadly, political violence and assassination is rooted in American history...

Lincoln
Garfield
McKinley
Kennedy (s)
Gerald Ford
MLK
Ron Reagan

Add Trump to the list now. We're also really bad as a country at dealing with mental illness. It's not a priority.

Not surprised in the least...

My own take is that politicians and the media are a big part of the causal. Everyone stays in their own echo chamber with their own news and stews and grouses about it on social media. 

Eventually, some take to guns and violence. 

I also believe there is anger/vitriol today that is a carryover from COVID.

not even 20 minutes after it happened I was listening to the CBS coverage and they were so quick to call out the secret service and every other agency possible.... but all I could think about was they (CBS) were as much to blame as any agency. Sure it appears that there was a colossal fuck up to not have that roof secured, honestly about any average deer hunter in SD could have made that shot... but the half truths and lies that the MSM has been part of over the last couple decades is what has led us to this point. everyone that is paying attention is on edge, and there are far to many people that cant think for themselves and/or wont do their own research.

ABC was just as bad, 90 minutes later they were still saying "possible shots fired" and then in the very next breath saying that the "gunman was neutralized" Its a sad sad state of affairs that our national media has fallen so far. IF we want to solve our energy woes somebody should hook a generator to Walter Cronkite, at the rate must be spinning in his grave we wouldn't need any other source of electricity.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JimmyinSD's post:

I'm not going too far down that rabbit hole Jimmy. And I sure dont want to try to change yours or anyone elses minds as to where to get their news. 

I can point a big accusing finger @ MSNBC, CNN, CBS etc. but at the same time? I got a big middle finger reserved for Gateway Pundit, Breitbart and others like them.
[-] The following 1 user Likes purplefaithful's post:

(07-14-2024, 05:15 PM)purplefaithful Wrote: I'm not going too far down that rabbit hole Jimmy. And I sure dont want to try to change yours or anyone elses minds as to where to get their news. 

I can point a big accusing finger @ MSNBC, CNN, CBS etc. but at the same time? I got a big middle finger reserved for Gateway Pundit, Breitbart and others like them.

I agree, any of them that run with bull shit stories and try and create the news to sell a narrative are to blame. honestly I think our own govt hierarchy are as much to blame as the media they are controlling, all we need to do is look at the truth that has come out about the covid shit show and the govt lies and manipulation that came with it and i think we can all see the issue here... and no, I dont think either side is innocent in this, they both use the media to sell bull shit to the people. its definitely time the voters drain the swamp.

[-] The following 1 user Likes JimmyinSD's post:

(07-14-2024, 02:15 PM)minny65 Wrote: Our enemies (Iran, Russia, China, N Korea etc) are loving how divided we have become.  I think a ton of the social media and fake news is generated from those countries to build on the division.

Unfortunately, a Country Divided is bound to fail.

I thought this country would be United for decades after 9/11 and when we got Osama Bin Laden.  But the goodwill did not last even one decade and only became worse.

This country will never be united again and its because of social media. I never bought into any societal doomsaying narratives over the many years, just drama and white noise. But now with social media? Anything is possible. Just another instrument of division used by those in power. Look what its doing to our youth. And politically, people will continue to be more and more divided incrementally. The media, as has been mentioned, deserves a mighty scoop of the blame as well. COVID and the shutdown has also permanently changed the mentality of Americans. The wealth disparity will continue. 

A crazy world indeed.

Divide and conquer

Middle class is effed in this country because those that hinder them have convinced half that it’s someone or something else.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bullazin's post: