Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
More McCarthy love.....
(07-11-2024, 10:02 PM)@Havoc Wrote: He has elite physical traits. He is a far far far better athlete than either guy you mentioned. He’ll be closer to Pat Mahomes rushing than either of those guys. 

On top of that, he has elite arm strength.

Lastly, training camp and preseason may dictate who starts this year. In an ideal world a guy gets a year, but sometimes that guy is the best player and he’s ready to go early.

Exactly.  I'm not sure what comet is talking about...  JJ reportedly ran a 4.48 40 yd dash prior to this season, had the highest velocity throw of any QB who threw in this year's combine (1 mph slower than Josh Allen who has a cannon), and had the fastest 3 cone time of any QB at the combine this year.  He's got the arm, the mobility, and all the physical traits you could ask for in today's QB.
[-] The following 3 users Like MAD GAINZ's post:

(07-11-2024, 05:03 PM)comet52 Wrote: He won't be a star off his physical traits like some guys can be.  He will have to be a Brady/Manning type, better from the neck up than other guys and that's how he succeeds.  Hope he can pull it off.

??? Are you sure you are thinking of the right player? This isn't accurate at all.

(07-11-2024, 10:35 PM)MAD GAINZ Wrote: Exactly.  I'm not sure what comet is talking about...  JJ reportedly ran a 4.48 40 yd dash prior to this season, had the highest velocity throw of any QB who threw in this year's combine (1 mph slower than Josh Allen who has a cannon), and had the fastest 3 cone time of any QB at the combine this year.  He's got the arm, the mobility, and all the physical traits you could ask for in today's QB.

I'm not sure why, but his physical traits are often overlooked. I think maybe it's because he was a system, run-the-offense guy at Michigan and those guys are typically weak-armed and unathletic game managers. 

McCarthy is not that guy.

(07-12-2024, 06:13 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: ??? Are you sure you are thinking of the right player? This isn't accurate at all.

That's the same thought I had.  McCarthy brings speed and escapability to the equation in really good ways.

I see that Zulgad is reporting the Vikings liked Penix over JJM.....not sure, but that's what my little birdie told me before the Draft if anyone remembers me saying that. Or more to the point, they liked Penix. More than JJM? I'm not sure about.....

Oh the sowing of the seeds of dissatisfaction in the fanbase by the media!

(07-13-2024, 05:37 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: I see that Zulgad is reporting the Vikings liked Penix over JJM.....not sure, but that's what my little birdie told me before the Draft if anyone remembers me saying that. Or more to the point, they liked Penix. More than JJM? I'm not sure about.....

Oh the sowing of the seeds of dissatisfaction in the fanbase by the media!

I don't think so. Based on everything I read, saw, heard, and my ever growing gut, I think they liked Drake Maye the most and might have even taken him over Caleb Williams and Jayden Daniels. But they're level of interest in Williams and Daniels remains unclear. 

They've liked McCarthy for a couple years now and that interest never waned. The Vikings planted trade seeds with nearly every team in the top 10 for two reasons: One, in case Maye dropped out of the top 3. And two, if the Vikings thought they needed to move up for McCarthy. That talk of Washington considering McCarthy at #2 was real. But none of this trade talk was ever about Penix. 

However, late in the process, after pro days and player visits, the Vikings were surprised by how much they liked Penix. I think at that point they started considering him a legit option at number 11 and not someone they could expect to still be there after a trade down. I think this excited them because now they could stay at 11 and still get one of two guys they really liked. 

I think it's possible they liked the idea of Penix for free at 11 over an expensive trade up for McCarthy. But to say they liked Penix MORE than McCarthy seems very unlikely.

Yah...Big difference in they liked vs liked more

I still believe they left draft central after that 1st rd feeling pretty/pretty good.

Now they gotta sign those guys already.

(07-11-2024, 10:35 PM)MAD GAINZ Wrote: Exactly.  I'm not sure what comet is talking about...  JJ reportedly ran a 4.48 40 yd dash prior to this season, had the highest velocity throw of any QB who threw in this year's combine (1 mph slower than Josh Allen who has a cannon), and had the fastest 3 cone time of any QB at the combine this year.  He's got the arm, the mobility, and all the physical traits you could ask for in today's QB.

I just don't want him to develop the Josh Allen hero complex that overrides his judgement with such consistency. Just as Burrow has dumb injuries, Allen has horribly timed "SuperJosh" moments that kill games for his team.  We need a balanced, amazing team and our QB, whoever is under center, needs to be just as balanced and amazing.

Just ask Herbert...Allen...Burrow...Murray...and every other young "sensation" watching Superbowls from the stands or their couches.
It's Almost That Time Again, Skol Nation...!!

One thing that can't be denied, and I said it before he was drafted; he makes an impression on people once he meets them:

The Purple Persuasion
@TPPSkol
·
7m
#Vikings TE T.J. Hockenson with some BIG praise over rookie QB J.J. McCarthy via
@BussinWTB
?

“He’s grinding in the classroom. He’s a baller on the field obviously… he’s earned the respect of a lot of guys in there… I’m excited that J.J. is on our team.”
-
@TheeHOCK8
[-] The following 3 users Like StickierBuns's post:

(07-16-2024, 08:08 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: “He’s grinding in the classroom. He’s a baller on the field obviously… he’s earned the respect of a lot of guys in there… I’m excited that J.J. is on our team.”
-
@TheeHOCK8

The Raiders, suspecting Jamarcus Russell was not doing his game prep, decided once to give him a blank DVD to confirm their suspicions. Russell told them that the game plan looked good to him. 

Don't yet know what kind of QB we have in McCarthy, but I think we can fairly safely assume he's not THAT guy.