Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The Darnold
Yah, having Darnold around isnt like KC, but it is invaluable.

Just the learning curve of how to be a pro, on a Wednesday vs Sunday, how to deal with injuries, how to practice is all good stuff. You can teach schemes, reads, throws, keys - but you cant teach experience.

I've seen a few articles cautioning fans to brace themselves for the lack of Kirk's consistent 30ish TDs per season, etc...and it is a concern, but I think having two young(ish) QBs that both have much to prove could pay dividends, and that the perceived deficiency in passing yards/TDs might be smaller than expected.

Plus, having a true beast RB again will help, as well. This should be very interesting.
It's Got to be This Year, KAM, KOC, and Flores...Bring It!
[-] The following 3 users Like Zanary's post:

(05-27-2024, 07:55 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: I think the Darnold could give him advise about maybe some rookie pitfalls, things he'd wish he'd known, etc. As far as mentoring on what it takes to succeed in the NFL, no.....but it doesn't mean he couldn't be a positive influence. Darnold is playing for his next team anyway, one and done.

You're right Sticky, I had not thought of all the possible mentoring moments... "Hey kid lemme warn you about what happens when you throw as many picks as touchdowns for six years."

JJM: "What happens, my wise mentor?"

Sam: "You get 10 million bucks !"
[-] The following 1 user Likes comet52's post:

(05-29-2024, 02:48 AM)comet52 Wrote: You're right Sticky, I had not thought of all the possible mentoring moments... "Hey kid lemme warn you about what happens when you throw as many picks as touchdowns for six years."

Ha ha, see? Exactly! 

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. A cautionary tale like Darnold can have value for a guy like JJM by saying, 'don't do what I did and here's why'. The Vikings needed a bridge QB that maybe had a little upside, hence Darnold.

(05-28-2024, 11:45 AM)Zanary Wrote: I've seen a few articles cautioning fans to brace themselves for the lack of Kirk's consistent 30ish TDs per season, etc...and it is a concern, but I think having two young(ish) QBs that both have much to prove could pay dividends, and that the perceived deficiency in passing yards/TDs might be smaller than expected.

Plus, having a true beast RB again will help, as well. This should be very interesting.

I think more than anything, we're going to miss Kirk's accuracy. People took it for granted, but it was uncommon. I think Darnold will give us something between Mullens and Cousins, and that's probably enough for .500. I think you could put Zach Wilson in this offense and he'd win you a few games.  

I think the biggest beneficiary of the Darnold/McCarthy show might be KOC himself. He and McCown will be able to get under the hood of Darnold and determine what made him fail and then use that information in their development of McCarthy.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MaroonBells's post:

I think it would be a hoot if Darnold has a Pro Bowl Season...

Make em squirm in Eagan and it would be a blast for the fans too.

What a shocker that would be!
[-] The following 1 user Likes purplefaithful's post:

(05-29-2024, 02:48 AM)comet52 Wrote: You're right Sticky, I had not thought of all the possible mentoring moments... "Hey kid lemme warn you about what happens when you throw as many picks as touchdowns for six years."

But, you know what you DON'T get?

40 million.
It's Got to be This Year, KAM, KOC, and Flores...Bring It!
[-] The following 3 users Like Zanary's post:

from r/minnesotavikings

(05-29-2024, 08:00 AM)purplefaithful Wrote: I think it would be a hoot if Darnold has a Pro Bowl Season...

Make em squirm in Eagan and it would be a blast for the fans too.

What a shocker that would be!

It would be so Viking: draft a top 10 QB for the first time ever and Darnold knocks it out of the park.

(05-30-2024, 06:23 AM)StickierBuns Wrote:
from r/minnesotavikings

It would be so Viking: draft a top 10 QB for the first time ever and Darnold knocks it out of the park.

I'm glad to be hearing good things about him. 

Players dont have to go on record like that and it sure beats deafening silence.  

I hope this is a competitive team to watch this year. Not expecting SB. but at least be entertaining.

(05-30-2024, 06:23 AM)StickierBuns Wrote:
from r/minnesotavikings

Like Adam Schefter said, he's always been good this time of year. It's when the pressure comes that he starts making bad decisions. It's why we can talk all we want about height, weight, speed, arm velo in rookie QBs...90% of what makes a QB successful is in his head. 

That said, what if Darnold has a great year? Not just the best year he's ever had, which I think we all expect, but something better than even Baker last year or Geno Smith's big year or Randall Cunningham's? If that happens do you let him get away?