Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
My rookie year predictions for all 6 QBs
(05-20-2024, 09:23 AM)JimmyinSD Wrote: I dont think there is any poster on here that has banged the let them sit a year drum longer or louder than me,  but at the same time,  I love seeing the kids get a chance to get out there and show where they are at in their development.  It one thing I always loved about HS football,  once the game is decided,  typically both coaches us the last few minutes to get the underclassmen some reps so you get to see the kids grow up in the game,  would be cool if there was a way the NFL could get their younger guys reps in meaningless games and situations outside of the couple of preseason games.  I love to see the players develop.

Totally agree.  As I have not watch more than a few plays of JJM's college career, I don't have a strong opinion regarding his future -- I only thing I feel is that he needs the most proven development scheme which is sitting him for a good period of time.  I would love to see a study regarding the success rate of first round QBs who play immediately versus those who sit the majority of their rookie year.  Yes, there will be some who are prepared to play immediately, but I suspect that the majority benefit greatly from sitting.

(05-20-2024, 09:29 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: What sticks out in my memory, jimmy, is when Trey Lance was drafted and what the 49ers gave up and you straight up thought it was a big mistake. Said he didn't play enough CFB. And you were right. I mean, didn't he play like one game his last year in college and sat the rest of the season so he wouldnt get injured? That's nuts. He played at North Dakota State, he needed every rep he could get. He basically played one season out of 3 he was there.

IIRC his last year was the covid year where they only got 1 game or something like that, but yeah, he played low level high school ball ( no offense the the Marshall MN crowd), but then only 1 full season at ND, once again not a high level game, he really needed a lot more mentoring than he got once he was drafted, I admit I didnt watch much Michigan football this year and know very little about JJMs game, so my silence is more out of saving myself an embarrassing take than me laying in wait, besides my boy Penix was off the table and I didnt really want to see us putting more draft capital into a player they werent 100% in on from jump.

(05-20-2024, 09:09 AM)JimmyinSD Wrote: I will admit,  I have my reservations,  I love the kids attitude and apparent desire to be Viking,  but his lack of experience in the college ranks leaves me wondering if he is what some think he will be,  I would have liked to seen at least one more year on his resume.  I was at a corporate thing last week with 4 guys from Michigan and they all said the same thing when one of my co-workers asked if we have a good one... "hes a great kid",  "great leader", "good work ethic",  none wanted to come out and say we have out QB of the future,  of course they were all Lions fans, so maybe they were a little shell shocked by Goffs new contract.

I know a few huge Michigan fans as well and while they love JJM, it's not like they're over the moon about his pro prospects either. Cautiously hopeful is how I'd describe them. But what do they know! He's Elway and Montana combined baby!!

I like OP's list a lot and it seems sensible... but there's a lot of franchises and owners in this league who aren't sensible... so here's my takes:

Williams will show enough for the media to crown him the next big thing.

Penix Jr- Kirk won't be ready to start the year and ATL will cave to pressure and start Penix. He'll play well enough that this becomes a full-blown mess much sooner than expected.

JJM- Will take the reigns ~halfway through and will take his lumps but mix in some magic. We'll all be elated to have a QB with some mobility and a still-un-re-signed Jefferson will gain even more leverage and more money based on his rapport with McCarthy.

(05-20-2024, 11:39 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: JJ looks all of 219 lbs. here.

https://twitter.com/TPPSkol/status/1791927825773072886

The jump pass made famous by Tavarus Jackson.... Wont this make a few heads explode. Smile

(05-20-2024, 11:49 AM)JimmyinSD Wrote: The jump pass made famous by Tavarus Jackson.... Wont this make a few heads explode. Smile

I got the Resolve carpet cleaner ready  Cool
[-] The following 1 user Likes purplefaithful's post:

(05-20-2024, 09:32 AM)VikingOracle Wrote: Totally agree.  As I have not watch more than a few plays of JJM's college career, I don't have a strong opinion regarding his future -- I only thing I feel is that he needs the most proven development scheme which is sitting him for a good period of time.  I would love to see a study regarding the success rate of first round QBs who play immediately versus those who sit the majority of their rookie year.  Yes, there will be some who are prepared to play immediately, but I suspect that the majority benefit greatly from sitting.

I read somewhere that several Chief players were raving about Mahomes in practice during his rookie season. Still, they made him sit the whole year, save for a week 17 start in a meaningless game. 

Some QBs like Cam Newton, Trevor Lawrence, etc have started week 1, but I sometimes wonder if they might not have been better long term if they had sat a year to develop. Everyone's so impatient, but I think it's best if when the young QB sees real bullets, he knows the offense inside and out. 

Anyway, here's a year-old breakdown of what you're asking for. Hard to gain anything definitive from this, but the year-two column looks pretty good. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/histo...y-succeed/

Sounds like PA read my QB predictions...

https://twitter.com/TPPSkol/status/1793034973332517355

(05-21-2024, 05:05 PM)MaroonBells Wrote: Sounds like PA read my QB predictions...

https://twitter.com/TPPSkol/status/1793034973332517355

I am zen with that...

(05-21-2024, 06:08 PM)purplefaithful Wrote: I am zen with that...

Me too.  I don't expect Darnold to come in and be Kirk, but if he can keep us competitive and in the hunt so we can let JJ get as much time as he needs...  that's a huge plus.  Maybe he can be our Keenum this year?