Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We gotta talk...Treadwell
Quote: @Tom Moore said:
Sticky is right.  He never gets open.  He's like Patterson without the speed.  He doesn't get open in practice or games.  We'd be better off using a receiver who isn't playing their normal position (receivers X, Y, and Z).  Treadwell truly offers nothing.  Rather see Wright, Coley or Adams get the reps.  The too can get at least 1 catch for 1 yard each week.

its not injuries, it is skill.  We reached big time on this guy
Patterson was targeted twice yesterday, had 1 catch for 7 yards. The Raiders talked non-stop about what a weapon he would be in Oakland, but he's had 3 catches for 15 yards so far this season. He's just not consistent and he doesn't have good NFL awareness or intelligence. 

Treadwell is going to be on the bubble during the 2018 training camp/preseason. Guaranteed. Stacy Coley is a talented dude that knows how to play WRer, give him the reps and watch him progress. 

I think LT already looks better than last year.  Having a guy like him on the bench might prove valuable at some point.  Guys get dinged up all the time, so Tready still might get his opportunity to prove his worth.

Quote: @twgerber said:
When you have Diggs and Theilen you don't need to look elsewhere very often.
Rudolph was ignored as well.  1 catch.  Diggs and thielen attacked the outside deep.  Cook ran the ball well, so the possession type of WR wasn't needed much.

That said, he certainly isn't lighting the world on fire. 

Quote: @greediron said:
@twgerber said:
Rudolph was ignored as well.  1 catch.  Diggs and thielen attacked the outside deep.  Cook ran the ball well, so the possession type of WR wasn't needed much.

I just don't think Treadwell is intended to be a possession receiver.  I think he was going to be the deep threat who ran good routes and could leap.  He is just such a non-factor.  He is the best blocker of the receivers, so maybe that is it.  But most passing games count on a pass catcher, not a blocker.

I believe that once Floyd is back, you will see little of Treadwell outside of special teams.

@greediron said:
@twgerber said:

I just don't think Treadwell is intended to be a possession receiver.  I think he was going to be the deep threat who ran good routes and could leap.  He is just such a non-factor.  He is the best blocker of the receivers, so maybe that is it.  But most passing games count on a pass catcher, not a blocker.

I believe that once Floyd is back, you will see little of Treadwell outside of special teams.
I disagree,  if that was the intent then who ever wanted him needs to be looking for a job.  Treadwells game never was going to translate to a deep vert receiver,   he is a big bodied guy with a huge range and iffy top end in terms of speed.  He is best suited at slants, curls, back shoulder throws and other routes that allow him to use that wide frame to sheild away a defender.  He is going to succeed or fail on the trustworthyness of his hand and his ability to make crisp cuts on precision routes.

He is the best blocker of the receivers, so maybe that is it.  But most passing games count on a pass catcher, not a blocker.
I think that is an underrated point and something the coaching staff has always valued.  With Treadwell, you can run three WR sets and still have a very good blocker out there.  Wright is a better receiver but when Wright is out there the defense knows it is less likely to be a run play.  Treadwell and Rudolph share certain qualities in that they have a large catch radius but don't get separation.  The big difference is Rudolph has earned trust in catching the ball and being in the right place.  However, because the Vikings now have two receivers who excel at running routes and getting open, you are seeing a drop off in targeting Rudolph, let alone Treadwell.  Moreover, in the area where it is harder to get open (the redzone) and where Rudolph and Treadwell should be targeted more, Diggs has truly excelled at contested catches.  Why throw to Rudolph/Treadwell when Diggs has been so dominate in the red zone?  Now, this may change when teams start to cover Diggs differently in the red zone, but for now why throw if anywhere else?

Does anyone really know who is covering Treadwell?  I think you’d want your best defenders on
Thielen and Diggs, but at the same time your best CBs are probably going to be the
outside CB more often than not.  Are teams
moving their CBs around to cover Diggs and Thielen or are they just staying in
their normal left, right, slot CB positions?

Quote: @VikingOracle said:
@Tom Moore said:
  He is the best blocker of the receivers, so maybe that is it.  But most passing games count on a pass catcher, not a blocker.
I think that is an underrated point and something the coaching staff has always valued.  With Treadwell, you can run three WR sets and still have a very good blocker out there.  Wright is a better receiver but when Wright is out there the defense knows it is less likely to be a run play.  Treadwell and Rudolph share certain qualities in that they have a large catch radius but don't get separation.  The big difference is Rudolph has earned trust in catching the ball and being in the right place.  However, because the Vikings now have two receivers who excel at running routes and getting open, you are seeing a drop off in targeting Rudolph, let alone Treadwell.  Moreover, in the area where it is harder to get open (the redzone) and where Rudolph and Treadwell should be targeted more, Diggs has truly excelled at contested catches.  Why throw to Rudolph/Treadwell when Diggs has been so dominate in the red zone?  Now, this may change when teams start to cover Diggs differently in the red zone, but for now why throw if anywhere else?
Great points Oracle.  And I wonder too, is it part of the game plan.  Obviously our offensive plan was to attack the outside deep against TB.  Week 1, Rudolph had an impact, 3 catches and good yardage.  Week 2, he was second high on the team in catches with 4. 

I don't doubt that Rudolph and likely Treadwell will be utilized in future gameplans.

Could we get a 5th rounder for him in a trade?  I'd do that deal today.

I just don't think Treadwell is intended to be a possession receiver.  I think he was going to be the deep threat who ran good routes and could leap.  He is just such a non-factor.  He is the best blocker of the receivers, so maybe that is it.  But most passing games count on a pass catcher, not a blocker.I believe that once Floyd is back, you will see little of Treadwell outside of special teams.
I think many of us look at his triangle numbers - 6'2", 220, 4.6 - and think he could be like Cris Carter and Deandre Hopkins: physical possession receivers with superb hands and great route skills. But in college, his playing style was like Michael Irvin, a tall deep threat. He might be trying to redesign himself as a possession WR, but who knows if it will work.

Did the Vikings' scouts just have faith he would heal and be fast enough to outrun NFL CBs? Big gamble.