Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
So....how's everyone feeling?
Don't forget that we went real hard to get Christian Wilkins the Top IDL/DT but he decided to go elsewhere. I think you can infer that we did not really like the DT class coming out and/or our higher priorities where elsewhere (of course QB #1). We ran every scenario and when JJ fell to 10 and we still had #23 we may have been targeting Byron Murphy DT - Texas? But he went at 16 to the Titans so we jumped up to 17 and got our next highest Defender in Turner.

I do think DT is one of our biggest weaknesses and I think the brass knows it as well. But things did not fall our way and the remaining FA's are bodies. It will be priority #1 next FA period and/or draft - IMO.
[-] The following 1 user Likes minny65's post:

(04-28-2024, 08:45 AM)Knucklehead Wrote: There are too many holes on this roster to fill with a single draft especially after the trade ups left us with only one pick between the first & sixth rounds. I agree with the concerns about not addressing IOL & IDL with quality picks. Also would've liked them to add a RB & WR. This was a deep WR draft. Upgrades could've been found in Rounds 6 or 7. Now we have to rely on Powell, Sherfield or hope that Nailor can finally stay healthy.

Fast Kene has shown nothing to date as a RB. I'm unsure that the revised KO return rules will be enough to ensure him a roster spot. McBride looked slow in camp last year & spent the season on the PS. Not one regular season snap.

I'm disappointed that they didn't sign an UDFA punter as Ryan Wright regressed last year & competition should be brought in.

We will rank high in the waiver claim order which can be helpful after training camp cuts.

Ryan Rehkow (BYU) appears to still be available if we wanted a punt competition.

Still can’t believe we landed Dallas Turner. We’ve been drafting DL on traits, in the lower rounds for a long time. This guys has the traits, but he also has all the production you look for. I love the JJ pick, but I think this guy is going to be a game wrecker. They asked BFlo what he thought when they made the Turner pick, he said “I immediately started drawing up plays,” s/b fun to watch…!  Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kentis's post:

I'm feeling really good about it. I think Maroon put it best, if you would have told me before the draft that we'd be able to land JJ McCarthy and Dallas Turner while still retaining our 1st round pick in 2025, I would have said...no way!! So just that is a huuuuge win to me. Had Turner as my top rated defensive player in the draft and there's no way he'd have been on the board in most normal drafts. We needed a high upside quarterback prospect and we got one in McCarthy without having to give up the farm in a move up to get him. What I like most about these two is they are two of the younger players from this draft class and have limitless upside. Both come from big boy winning programs and have been coached by some of the best ever in college football. These are cultural players moving forward for this Vikings football team, much like Stroud and Will Anderson were in Houston last year.
[-] The following 4 users Like supafreak84's post:

I agree Supa, well said...

As a fan I need to separate short-term vs long-term...

To steal from the Clearing Haze Post:
Adofo-Mensah's "competitive rebuild" description took on a life of its own, but an organizational makeover was really the goal. They needed a new quarterback, a younger roster, better talent and more financial flexibility. All of that was never going to happen in two years.

This year that organizational makeover really accelerated. With KC being the poster child for it, the RS/MZ era is now in the past.

Other less than deep thoughts:
Its kinda jaw dropping to see the financial flex they have now with a QB on a rook contract
They really set themselves back with Donatell Yr 1;  its going to take a couple of years to replenish with better scheme fit players (and just better ones too)
The RB depth concerns me; might get fixed this summer when league roster cuts come after/during camps
Yah, they still need to upgrade trenches

If JJM is the real deal? I feel optimistic long-term.
Short-term (2024) is what it is. I expect the D to be better, but the offense may struggle.

Coming out of camp, I expect the QB depth chart to look like
Darnold
Mullens
JJM

(04-28-2024, 12:27 PM)purplefaithful Wrote: I agree Supa, well said...

As a fan I need to separate short-term vs long-term...

To steal from the Clearing Haze Post:
Adofo-Mensah's "competitive rebuild" description took on a life of its own, but an organizational makeover was really the goal. They needed a new quarterback, a younger roster, better talent and more financial flexibility. All of that was never going to happen in two years.

This year that organizational makeover really accelerated. With KC being the poster child for it, the RS/MZ era is now in the past.

Other less than deep thoughts:
Its kinda jaw dropping to see the financial flex they have now with a QB on a rook contract
They really set themselves back with Donatell Yr 1;  its going to take a couple of years to replenish with better scheme fit players (and just better ones too)
The RB depth concerns me; might get fixed this summer when league roster cuts come after/during camps
Yah, they still need to upgrade trenches

If JJM is the real deal? I feel optimistic long-term.
Short-term (2024) is what it is. I expect the D to be better, but the offense may struggle.

Coming out of camp, I expect the QB depth chart to look like
Darnold
Mullens
JJM

If Hall shows enough improvement in training camp, I expect that they'll keep him over Mullens. He has a lower cap hit than Mullens & Mullens may be able to be flipped for a 7th round pick.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Knucklehead's post:

(04-28-2024, 03:06 PM)Knucklehead Wrote: If Hall shows enough improvement in training camp, I expect that they'll keep him over Mullens. He has a lower cap hit than Mullens & Mullens may be able to be flipped for a 7th round pick.

I think in the interest of continuing to develop McCarthy they'd keep the veteran in Mullens who's been in the offense longer and could likely lend more from an advice standpoint. Hall is going to face an uphill battle to make the roster IMO. Practice squad candidate

I'm more than happy with the way things played out. I would have been elated had we gotten Maye, but considering the absolute haul it would have taken to pry him from NE I think we walked away as winners from this draft. McCarthy is going to make believers out of a lot of people, Turner is going to be a stud, and we still have next year's #1 (not to mention a gazillion dollars in cap space).
The artist formerly known as PurpleCrush.
[-] The following 1 user Likes TheWinterSKOLdier's post:

(04-28-2024, 03:06 PM)Knucklehead Wrote: If Hall shows enough improvement in training camp, I expect that they'll keep him over Mullens. He has a lower cap hit than Mullens & Mullens may be able to be flipped for a 7th round pick.

You could be right, if he goes lights out in camp, scrimmages, pre-season. 

Personally, I think that would be too inexperienced of a QB room. 

I dont mind Mullens for 1/2 or 1 full game. 

He could pull a game out here or there.  But he's a gunslinger who makes really poor decisions.

I overall feel good about the direction of this organization. This season won’t be quite as ugly as last year after Kirk went down, but this is still a longshot wild card team. I personally don’t think Darnold has the goods but I also don’t think KOC is in any rush to get JJM onto the field. I think Darnold gets every chance to play himself into a contract with another team next year. Unlikely, but you never know.

They’ve got a ton of guys on one year deals and I feel like we’ll add a couple more in the interior OL and DL areas after camp cuts. Obviously they’ll try to compete, but “winning” will be less important than “establishing” I feel like there’s enough hope for the future to buy them another season of subpar play.

I feel like the 2025 team will look very different in some key areas, but the system and the types of players they’ll need will be very well established. As long as they progress throughout the year, get JJ signed, and JJM is the real deal…the future looks bright
[-] The following 1 user Likes CFIAvike's post: