Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Draft Week Rumor Thread

(04-23-2024, 05:59 AM)StickierBuns Wrote:
from r/minnesotavikings

from r/minnesotavikings

from r/minnesotavikings

This sounds right to me..

JJ wont make it to 11, probably not past Gmen. So that means we deal with the Chargers or it wont happen is my guess.

(04-23-2024, 08:23 AM)purplefaithful Wrote: This sounds right to me..

JJ wont make it to 11, probably not past Gmen. So that means we deal with the Chargers or it wont happen is my guess.

I disagree. I think all this talk of the Giants taking a quarterback is all smoke. Let's look at this realistically. Taking a quarterback for them would be an admission of guilt that the screwed up giving Daniel Jones an extension. Jones will be a Giant this year and they know they can win with Jones if they protect him and give him some playmakers. They are right in the wheelhouse to take one of the two or three best playmakers in this draft and Daboll and the new front office needs to win now and taking a rookie who sits does nothing for them. Do the Giants need a plan B if Jones can't stay healthy? Absolutely, which is why they gave Drew Lock a hefty contract to be the backup quarterback.  There's just no way the Giants are taking a quarterback and slitting their own throats in the process.
[-] The following 1 user Likes supafreak84's post:

Plenty of buzz surrounding reports that both the Vikings and the Giants are talking to New England about pick 3. But I still find it hard to believe the Giants even want a QB.

So maybe the buzz is real. Maybe those conversations really are taking place, but instead of a competition between the Vikings and the Giants, it's a 3-way negotiation between the Pats, Vikings and Giants. Vikings get 3, Pats get 6 and our '25 1st, and the Giants get 11 and 23 to build a team around Dimes.

I don't think the Gmen are in on the QB talks. They certainly aren't going to give up high picks to jump to 3 for it. The $40m/season they gave him has to be utilized. Dabol will be out of a job if they suck it up again and drafting a backup QB does nothing to guarantee a better return this year.

(04-23-2024, 09:04 AM)supafreak84 Wrote: I disagree. I think all this talk of the Giants taking a quarterback is all smoke. Let's look at this realistically. Taking a quarterback for them would be an admission of guilt that the screwed up giving Daniel Jones an extension. Jones will be a Giant this year and they know they can win with Jones if they protect him and give him some playmakers. They are right in the wheelhouse to take one of the two or three best playmakers in this draft and Daboll and the new front office needs to win now and taking a rookie who sits does nothing for them. Do the Giants need a plan B if Jones can't stay healthy? Absolutely, which is why they gave Drew Lock a hefty contract to be the backup quarterback.  There's just no way the Giants are taking a quarterback and slitting their own throats in the process.

I agree, think the Giants moving up is all smoke.  Teams know the Vikings need a quarterback and they see this as a way to bluff the Vikings into giving up a lot of picks to move up.  The Giants have a lot of money tied up in Jones so the best bet is to protect him or get somebody to throw to.  They let Barkley walk so they need a play maker.  Dabol can't afford another ho hum season if he wants to keep his job and to have your #1 pick that you gave up draft capital for sitting on the bench for a season or throwing him on the field while putting Jones on the bench isn't going to cut it in the NY market.

(04-23-2024, 09:04 AM)supafreak84 Wrote: I disagree. I think all this talk of the Giants taking a quarterback is all smoke. Let's look at this realistically. Taking a quarterback for them would be an admission of guilt that the screwed up giving Daniel Jones an extension. Jones will be a Giant this year and they know they can win with Jones if they protect him and give him some playmakers. They are right in the wheelhouse to take one of the two or three best playmakers in this draft and Daboll and the new front office needs to win now and taking a rookie who sits does nothing for them. Do the Giants need a plan B if Jones can't stay healthy? Absolutely, which is why they gave Drew Lock a hefty contract to be the backup quarterback.  There's just no way the Giants are taking a quarterback and slitting their own throats in the process.

I think the Giants could be talking to the Patriots, but not for a QB, rather for a WR. Perhaps they want to get in front of the Cardinals for Harrison, Jr?
[-] The following 1 user Likes PurplePastor's post:

I remember watching an interview with Wellington Mara prior to the 2022 season where he expressed regrets that the NYG organization hadn't done all that it could to put Jones in a situation where he could be successful.

(04-23-2024, 11:41 AM)PurplePastor Wrote: I think the Giants could be talking to the Patriots, but not for a QB, rather for a WR. Perhaps they want to get in front of the Cardinals for Harrison, Jr?

They might want to do this but I think in this draft specifically, the cost will be prohibitive. In many years moving up 3 spots might cost next year's first and possibly some change. This year, they'll be (likely) bidding against the Vikings who are offering 3 firsts. I don't think the Gmen will pay what it takes to move up, for a WR. JMO

(04-23-2024, 11:41 AM)PurplePastor Wrote: I think the Giants could be talking to the Patriots, but not for a QB, rather for a WR. Perhaps they want to get in front of the Cardinals for Harrison, Jr?

Maybe. But there are three top 10 WRs in this draft and not all teams agree that MHJ is the best of them. Bob McGinn polled 16 NFL execs on how they rank the WRs. Harrison received 11 number one votes, Nabers got 4 and Odunze 1. They'll get one of those three by staying put at 6, so it's hard to see the impetus for an expensive trade up for one of them.  

If what Schefter says is true about the Patriots only taking calls from two teams, the Vikings and the Giants, the only thing that makes sense to me is a 3-way. It may not happen, but I'd bet they're talking about it. It makes too much sense for all three teams.