Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JJ Mac ... I don't get it
(04-16-2024, 05:14 PM)supafreak84 Wrote: I like him, I just don't like him enough or think he's bust proof enough to mortgage three first round picks to get, including next years 1st. Theres just no way. I'd rather keep the picks, take Byron Murphy at #11 and use the #23 pick to maneuver up or down for Nix or Penix. You can't go all in for the 4th rated QB in this draft who by most accounts is probably a mid to late first rounder in most normal drafts.

Goes against what I just said about wanting them to take a swing for once. But dependent on who they could get at 11 I wouldn't be too upset by something along the lines of what you just laid out. At the end of the day for myself personally I'm not going to get high or low during or immediately after the draft. I'm getting too dang old to pull what little remaining hair out I have based on a selection before they've even played a down.
[-] The following 1 user Likes bigbone62's post:

I would not trade up at all for Maye or JJ. Not at all. If they fall to 11, I would take one. If not, I am perfectly happy with Penix, Turner, Newton, Murphy II, Mitchell, Latu, Verse. And then see who is there at 23. Full disclosure: I like Darnold more than most and have no problem going into the season with him as a starter. If he sucks and we go 5 and 12, we can pick a QB next year. I have been waiting for a SB ring for decades. I can wait another year.

Probably the least college football fan on this board but I am beginning to feel that all the pundits are wrong. This is based simply on a feeling from all the spin out there but I don't think NE likes Maye or JJ. I have a feeling both may drop into the double digits. Every year, a hyped QB drops.

(04-16-2024, 05:14 PM)supafreak84 Wrote: I like him, I just don't like him enough or think he's bust proof enough to mortgage three first round picks to get, including next years 1st. Theres just no way. I'd rather keep the picks, take Byron Murphy at #11 and use the #23 pick to maneuver up or down for Nix or Penix. You can't go all in for the 4th rated QB in this draft who by most accounts is probably a mid to late first rounder in most normal drafts.

How is the #4 QB in a QB heavy draft,  being projected to go top 10 in said heavy QB draft,  gi8ng to fall to the mid to late 1st in a normal draft that would have less QB talent?  In a normal year IMO JJM is ranked coming off the board top 10 for sure.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JimmyinSD's post:

anybody else notice his "highlights" are poor passes that his receivers make great catches on? Thos are picks or PDs in the NFL.
People sleep peacably at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

JJ is the mystery meat of the draft. He was asked to do so much less than the other "Big 6" QB's. I also would rather not trade up for him. If he falls to us fine.

College football and the NFL are two totally different sports. NFL draft history is pretty clear that production at the college level has utterly zero bearing on success in the NFL. 

When I think of McCarthy I think of Diggs. Like McCarthy, Diggs was a 5-star recruit who went to a program that didn't showcase his skills. If Diggs had gone to OSU and stayed healthy, he would've been a 1st round pick. What would we be thinking of JJ right now if he'd gone to LSU? 

I have no idea if McCarthy is going to be able to play in the NFL or not. No clue. But I like that he was a 5-star recruit, has one of the strongest arms in the draft, and has a 4.48 on record. If he's got the "IT" NFL teams are looking for, then those are some pretty tantalizing traits to go with it.

JJM was a very good college QB. But he had an elite RB and Defense on that Michigan championship team. I just do not see him as a passing QB in a passing league, and I agree that I don't see his game being fully rounded for the NFL.
I keep going back to Bo Nix who was a pass-first QB, got better every year, put up record numbers in completions (KOC: "accuracy") and was a threat with his legs (744 yards rushing in his two years at Oregon). He literally doubled his passing yards from his last year at Auburn to his second year at Oregon (2,294 to 4,508) increased his Avg Yards per completion from 7.1 to 9.6. The knock on Nix playing in an offense that relied too heavily on short bubble screens doesn't really translate in his numbers. His last three years in college he threw 85 TDs to 13 picks. Again, that speaks to accuracy and good decisions in the pocket.
And to anyone who thinks that a 24-year old rookie QB is too old...I look at so many rookie QBs who never blossomed in the NFL because (as stated in previous posts) too many young, good QBs get drafted by bad teams and get overwhelmed. So many good QBs have their best years AFTER age 30. I'm not a fan of a 21 or 22 year old QB at the helm.

Penix Jr is a pure passer who I like, but not quite as accurate (@65%), and no rushing stats to speak of. If the Vikings don't take Nix at 11, Denver will snag him at 12.

He is a system guy but if he is in the right system, he will be successful

(04-16-2024, 05:14 PM)pattersaur Wrote: "Penix was always our guy."

Anyone else just braced for this statement from KO and Kwesi next Thursday night?

Well he's my guy so it won't bother me if it happens.
[-] The following 2 users Like comet52's post: