Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Vikings comp in tampering case to be announced soon?
This is the actual rule for those interested:

Specific Penalties: Any violation of this Anti-tampering Policy will subject the involved club and/or person to SEVERE disciplinary action by the Commissioner. In such cases, in addition to all other penalties provided in the Constitution and Bylaws, the Commissioner MAY AWARD OR TRANSFER A SELECTION CHOICE OR CHOICES and/or deprive the offending club of a selection choice or choices, and/or may fine the offending club and/or may fine or suspend with or without pay any involved individuals as appropriate. The League office will promulgate to all clubs the details of any penalties imposed for tampering.

I don’t know if the commish will go so far as to transfer picks, but I’d do it if I were in his shoes making the decision and the acts were egregious. I think this is far far bigger deal than people realize.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Havoc's post:

(04-15-2024, 01:29 PM)Havoc Wrote: This is the actual rule for those interested:

Specific Penalties: Any violation of this Anti-tampering Policy will subject the involved club and/or person to SEVERE disciplinary action by the Commissioner. In such cases, in addition to all other penalties provided in the Constitution and Bylaws, the Commissioner MAY AWARD OR TRANSFER A SELECTION CHOICE OR CHOICES and/or deprive the offending club of a selection choice or choices, and/or may fine the offending club and/or may fine or suspend with or without pay any involved individuals as appropriate. The League office will promulgate to all clubs the details of any penalties imposed for tampering.

I don’t know if the commish will go so far as to transfer picks, but I’d do it if I were in his shoes making the decision and the acts were egregious. I think this is far far bigger deal than people realize.

You might be right and they probably should get punished, I'm just not sure the league will go so far as to shake things up at the top of the draft THIS close to draft day. It'd certainly create headlines and send a message so I'm not ruling it out entirely (and I'd love to see it happen!), but I'm skeptical. If the Falcons do get hammered I think it's far more likely the penalty effects their 2025 draft, rather than this one. So much time and money has gone into them making their selection at 8 overall, it'd be extremely harsh to jack with that now.

(04-15-2024, 02:29 PM)pattersaur Wrote: You might be right and they probably should get punished, I'm just not sure the league will go so far as to shake things up at the top of the draft THIS close to draft day. It'd certainly create headlines and send a message so I'm not ruling it out entirely (and I'd love to see it happen!), but I'm skeptical. If the Falcons do get hammered I think it's far more likely the penalty effects their 2025 draft, rather than this one. So much time and money has gone into them making their selection at 8 overall, it'd be extremely harsh to jack with that now.

well penalties are not supposed to be fun or convenient
[-] The following 2 users Like JimmyinSD's post:

(04-15-2024, 01:18 PM)Montana Tom Wrote: This could go a number of different directions.  I am not going to speculate and hope that anything happens, but if indeed the league does take action because it was obvious that tampering did occur, I won't be surprised.  In fact, nothing will surprise me...from the league taking zero action to the league awarding Atlanta's seventh round pick to the Vikings.

you forgot the most likely scenario... after looking into it,  the league has decided to make the Vikings surrender a pick in addition to losing the player,   because...well.... remember the whiskey bottle?
[-] The following 4 users Like JimmyinSD's post:

What if...
They stripped the Falcons of their #8 pick and just gave it to the Vikings...no swap.
And we had #8, #11 AND #23?

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2024/4/12/...BsFCCu13JA

The league has said back in 2016 that more stringent penalties for tampering would be imposed going forward, as tampering was “a corrosive activity that undermines the integrity of the game.”

But if the Atlanta Falcons tampered with Kirk Cousins- as Cousins inadvertently admitted publicly- and the league finds ‘a preponderance of evidence’ that supports the allegation of tampering, there could be an example made of the Falcons depending how high-up the tampering went in the organization (owner Arthur Blank reportedly told his front office to do whatever is necessary to land Cousins). Making such a statement publicly- or leaking it to the media- can also be considered a violation of the league’s anti-tampering policy.

More on the likelihood:
In 2022, the Dolphins forfeited a first-round pick and a third-round pick for tampering with Tom Brady- who they didn’t ultimately sign. Dolphins owner Stephen Ross was implicated in the tampering violation and was fined $1.5 million and suspended for the remainder of the year from league meetings and was removed from all league committees.

Still it remains unclear when the league will conclude their investigation and what punishment, if any, the Commissioner chooses to impose. It’s also unclear if the Vikings will be the beneficiary of any potential punishment imposed by the Commissioner on the Falcons. The fact that the Falcons signed Cousins will likely be a factor in any punishment imposed by the Commissioner.

And from the League rules:
Certification by Offended Club. The Commissioner may award compensation to the offended club if it certifies a complaint that initiates an investigation against the offending club. If the offended club declined or otherwise failed to certify such a complaint after the facts of the matter became known or reasonably should have become known to the offended club, the offended club may not receive any potential award of compensation.

This last paragraph is important from the Vikings’ standpoint if they are to receive compensation. The Vikings would have had to have certified a compliant against the Falcons to receive compensation. It’s unclear whether they did so or not.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Montana Tom's post:

(04-15-2024, 01:29 PM)Havoc Wrote: This is the actual rule for those interested:

So according to these rules Cousins could be suspended and fined?

So if they did register a complaint, let's not expect ATL to be willing to trade that spot to us.

(04-15-2024, 08:11 PM)JimmyinSD Wrote: So if they did register a complaint,  let's not expect ATL to be willing to trade that spot to us.

Or leaning into the conspiracy theory, we'll threaten to register a complaint and they'll willingly swap picks a couple spots to avoid the issue.

If the Vikings get anything but a 100-decibel "F You" from the NFL I'll need mandibular reattachment surgery.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RS_Express's post:

(04-15-2024, 02:29 PM)pattersaur Wrote: You might be right and they probably should get punished, I'm just not sure the league will go so far as to shake things up at the top of the draft THIS close to draft day. It'd certainly create headlines and send a message so I'm not ruling it out entirely (and I'd love to see it happen!), but I'm skeptical. If the Falcons do get hammered I think it's far more likely the penalty effects their 2025 draft, rather than this one. So much time and money has gone into them making their selection at 8 overall, it'd be extremely harsh to jack with that now.

The Eagles Cardinals decision to swap 2023 3rd rounders came literally on day 1 of the draft last year. But no, I really doubt this impacts the 1st couple rounds if anything happens at all.