Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Vikings comp in tampering case to be announced soon?

"The question becomes whether and to what extent the Falcons will be punished. Some think the presence of Rich McKay on the Competition Committee will get the Falcons a pass."

The Vikings dont get nice things historically, I would be shocked if anything came out of this that benefitted our purple heroes.

(04-14-2024, 11:43 AM)purplefaithful Wrote: "The question becomes whether and to what extent the Falcons will be punished. Some think the presence of Rich McKay on the Competition Committee will get the Falcons a pass."

The Vikings dont get nice things historically, I would be shocked if anything came out of this that benefitted our purple heroes.

Normally I'd agree with you, but I do think Minnesota will get something.

Mike Florio b.s.

Hell, Kwazy probably sent the Falcons a thank you card for taking him off the hook w/ half the Vikings’ fan base…  Cool Tongue
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kentis's post:

I think it depends on how bad it is. If he just talked to the trainer after an agreement, that’s one thing, if there was a widespread effort a week or two before that’s another.

Personally, I think the Falcons are going to get hammered. If it is extensive, I can see them really getting smoked. There is precedence for draft pick changes between teams in the past, but it was for something small and I believe it was an agreement by the two teams. I don’t see that happening here. Goodell isn’t exactly known for being weak on punishment.

If it’s what has been reported thus far, I can see them forfeiting that 8th pick. That would be good for the Vikes because it turns their pick into a 10th and it removes a slot someone could trade up ahead of them. Obviously a swap would be helpful.

If it’s me in Goodell’s position, I give that 8th pick to the Vikings and here’s why:

1. It’s not some aging WR, it’s a franchise QB
2. The team succeeded in pulling the player away
3. It completely altered the draft for the Vikings. Now they may have to give up more draft capital to move up to replace him or use their first pick for a QB instead of a top flight defender. The loss is tremendous. It’s not just losing Cousins. It’s how many additional elite prospect acquisition opportunities are lost trying to replace him? Trade down is essentially not an option now. Had Cousins still been on the team, they could have traded down from 11, picked up a 1st next year and still had 2 firsts this year. I don’t think many Viking fans recognize just how much damage was done here.
4. It does not matter what Cousins planned to do or the Vikings for that matter. The Falcons allegedly broke the rules in order to try to obtain an advantage. As Goodell said in the past, he sees that as an attack on the integrity of the game - because it is.
5. Lastly, this crap has to be stopped and the only way to do it is to make the penalty so bad it is too damaging to a teams future to risk it.

At a minimum I award the Vikings the 8th pick in the draft. If it’s extremely extensive, the Falcons forfeit/lose next years 1st round pick as well. It has to be steep, or teams won’t care about the repercussions if it involves a top flight QB.

That is not news.  He's not claiming anyone that knows anything said anything.  He's just speculating that perhaps, maybe, potentially, if things went his way, that maybe something will happen.
[-] The following 1 user Likes medaille's post:

I'd love to be wrong here-- and the NFL does love their storylines so there's a chance, I suppose-- but I think the likelihood of the NFL ripping the Falcons first round pick away, only a week-ish before the draft, is pretty slim. They spent like 2 years investigating deflategate, it'd be pretty ridiculous to jam the Falcons this badly, in this short of time, so close to the draft. If we get any compensation at all, I assume it'll be later in the draft or in 2025. Frankly that seems more fair.

(04-15-2024, 11:41 AM)pattersaur Wrote: I'd love to be wrong here-- and the NFL does love their storylines so there's a chance, I suppose-- but I think the likelihood of the NFL ripping the Falcons first round pick away, only a week-ish before the draft, is pretty slim. They spent like 2 years investigating deflategate, it'd be pretty ridiculous to jam the Falcons this badly, in this short of time, so close to the draft. If we get any compensation at all, I assume it'll be later in the draft or in 2025. Frankly that seems more fair.

It's time for the NFL to make a serious statement to all the teams by making the Falcons an example. Surrendering their 1st round pick to the Vikes would accomplish that.  Cool

This could go a number of different directions. I am not going to speculate and hope that anything happens, but if indeed the league does take action because it was obvious that tampering did occur, I won't be surprised. In fact, nothing will surprise me...from the league taking zero action to the league awarding Atlanta's seventh round pick to the Vikings.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Montana Tom's post: