Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Wow Mike...
(04-13-2024, 05:21 PM)JimmyinSD Wrote: It was only an issue before ibecause you allowed it to be.  It was easy not to see those threads if you didn't want to.  The way Mike had that set up was pretty much as close to ideal as you could have if you are going to have multiple forums on one site.  This set up is less than ideal as you have to leave this forum to check for activity on another.

Yeah that software (vanilla forums) had a view of the forums you belonged to called “discussions”. I then coded a way to easily be able to turn off a forum in the discussions view so that if you wanted to remove a forum from the discussions view (like the st forum) to take a break from it you could without losing the ability to go into the forum to view the content. It was a neat feature.
Is this thing on?

(04-14-2024, 09:01 AM)Mike Olson Wrote: Yeah that software (vanilla forums) had a view of the forums you belonged to called “discussions”. I then coded a way to easily be able to turn off a forum in the discussions view so that if you wanted to remove a forum from the discussions view (like the st forum) to take a break from it you could without losing the ability to go into the forum to view the content. It was a neat feature.

Have you found anything similar for this software?  that really was ideal for trying to host 2 types of forums from one site. I was going to ask,  but figured I would wait a while to give you a chance to catch your breath after the last few demanding weeks.

IMO the issue with the previous software was my belief that most users didnt know how or were just forgetful about the right clicks to avoid sensitive, off-topics on their football view.

Another way to think about it is this; how many casual fans visit sites to call home or post at now and then, and when they see the toxic, vitriol threads on Trump, Biden, Deep state they get turned off and go elsewhere.

So yes, the work arounds are there, but only for those that take the time learn em and use em.

IMHO keep it as is - its nicely separated and both boards easily accessed. Even though I leverage it, I wouldn't even have a sensitive topics board if it were up to me.

I would agree with purplefaithful, keep it separated.

(04-14-2024, 11:05 AM)LabGeek Wrote: I would agree with purplefaithful, keep it separated.

It was separated b4 too - but it took a little bit of click to get it separate and to keep it separate.

I suspect most didnt learn or upkeep and probably didnt like seeing the political crap. Especially the casual user. 

As it is now? Requires nothing to keep em separate. So its less likely to be off-putting to many. 

I am not falling on a sword over it, just thinking about keeping it friendly and football focused.

(04-14-2024, 10:43 AM)purplefaithful Wrote: IMO the issue with the previous software was my belief that most users didnt know how or were just forgetful about the right clicks to avoid sensitive, off-topics on their football view.

Another way to think about it is this; how many casual fans visit sites to call home or post at now and then, and when they see the toxic, vitriol threads on Trump, Biden, Deep state they get turned off and go elsewhere.

So yes, the work arounds are there, but only for those that take the time learn em and use em.

IMHO keep it as is - its nicely separated and both boards easily accessed. Even though I leverage it, I wouldn't even have a sensitive topics board if it
were up to me.

IIRC The drfault was for new members to not see the ST board, or posts,  so there wasn't the issue of it running people off.  That was the whole point of the ST board and not allowing those types of threads on the main board.   As far as not seeing them it was quite simple,  if you wanted to stay football only,  you hit the Longship, if you wanted to see all forums you hit recent discussions.