Cousins or a Tannehill?  Are they
planning on those one of those two older guys being their long term starter for
like 5 years?  Are they going to help
them get just good enough to fall out of range of drafting their QBOTF whenever
that happens?  I just don’t see why New
England goes the veteran QB route and then doesn’t double down on getting a
young guy.  They aren’t really in win now
mode in my mind.
New England is years away and I think they know that. They have no WRs, nobody on the OL. New England would be a good place for a stop gap like Minshew or Tannehill until they can build their roster a little. I think they trade down a bit and take a left tackle. 

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@purplefaithful said:
Daniels at 6 would be surprising to put it mildly...Not everyone sees it the same, but I can absolutely see top 4 gone well b4 pick 11. 
If, big if...Kirk doesn't sign with us, you have to hope it's Atlanta to remove them from possibly drafting a QB as a team picking before us
why does that prevent them from going QB?   It shouldnt have prevented us from going QB after we drafted him, and shouldnt prevent them from taking a QB if they resign him ( well it should as they would be going all in and could use the pick better elsewhere,  but you get the drift.)

If we don't get a QB for whatever reason Edge would make me the least unhappy.

In that scenario, I think the most likely move is a trade down for us, unfortunately even though we are drafting higher than we usually are in a year we need to take a QB at 11 it is likely there may not be a QB that we feel justifies that high of a pick.  Personally I think QB is the one position that you pick your guy wherever you need to even if it much higher than what you have them valued at.

Jeremiah's mock does not allow for trade-ups so that is why he has Jayden falling to the Giants at 6.  If Jayden is available at 3 (Pats), 4 (Cards), or 5 (Chargers) I do anything to move up and get him.  

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@supafreak84 said:
@purplefaithful said:
Daniels at 6 would be surprising to put it mildly...Not everyone sees it the same, but I can absolutely see top 4 gone well b4 pick 11. 
If, big if...Kirk doesn't sign with us, you have to hope it's Atlanta to remove them from possibly drafting a QB as a team picking before us
why does that prevent them from going QB?   It shouldnt have prevented us from going QB after we drafted him, and shouldnt prevent them from taking a QB if they resign him ( well it should as they would be going all in and could use the pick better elsewhere,  but you get the drift.)
Because what is going to move Cousins from Minnesota to Atlanta (or whoever) is term length. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@supafreak84 said:
@purplefaithful said:
Because what is going to move Cousins from Minnesota to Atlanta (or whoever) is term length. 
and they are going to sign him to a contract that is longer than that of a first round rookie?  no way in hell,  despite your insistence that age is irrelevant,  Kirk is not going to last forever and every GM out there knows that he has a shelf life and should be ( should have been ) planning for his replacement already.  I would say its all about guaranteed money,  regardless of the length of contract,  and if ATL has the cap space and the team ready to contend,  why wouldnt they want to grab a QB to mentor under KC in the event the he isnt superman and is going to decline?

@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@supafreak84 said:
@purplefaithful said:
and they are going to sign him to a contract that is longer than that of a first round rookie?  no way in hell,  despite your insistence that age is irrelevant,  Kirk is not going to last forever and every GM out there knows that he has a shelf life and should be ( should have been ) planning for his replacement already.  I would say its all about guaranteed money,  regardless of the length of contract,  and if ATL has the cap space and the team ready to contend,  why wouldnt they want to grab a QB to mentor under KC in the event the he isnt superman and is going to decline?
Yep! You're paying for future performance, not past, so we shall see how these negotiations , which I understand have begun already, go.

@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@supafreak84 said:
@purplefaithful said:
I don't know what you mean by a contract longer than that of a 1st round rookie. Am I misreading that? Or do you really think we're talking about 5 year deals here? 

Vikings are probably agreeable to 2 years. Cousins likely wants 3. Whoever is able to pull Cousins from Minnesota is going to do it by guaranteeing money in a 3rd year. If Atlanta signs Cousins for 3 years, it's extremely unlikely they're going to draft a QB at 8. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@supafreak84 said:
@purplefaithful said:
I don't know what you mean by a contract longer than that of a 1st round rookie. Am I misreading that? Or do you really think we're talking about 5 year deals here? 

Vikings are probably agreeable to 2 years. Cousins likely wants 3. Whoever is able to pull Cousins from Minnesota is going to do it by guaranteeing money in a 3rd year. If Atlanta signs Cousins for 3 years, it's extremely unlikely they're going to draft a QB at 8. 
why wouldnt they?  If Cousins goes there and things go as planned,  there are not likely to be drafting at 8 again in the near future, so if you take a first round QB and get 3 cheap years and 2 higher cost years out of him,  and you only sign Kirk for 3 years... how does that not work out for a team that is only a QB away from contending ( sound familiar ? )?

point is,  having a starting QB shouldnt preclude a team from making a real investment in the future,  failure to do so is exactly why the Vikings are in the shit boat they currently are in.  If I am ATL and one of the young QBs sparks and interest and he is available ( even with a trade up ) then I would think that is a perfect scenario,  your QB of today has the team in contention,  while the QB of the future learns from him.  Would have been ideal for us if they had gotten after QBs a few years ago instead of drafting and trading picks for immediate enjoyment.