Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Running Game or Lack There Of
Quote: @"pattersaur" said:
@"Mattyman" said:
Cook scored long TD's in 5 games last year, the Vikings went on to win  all those games.

This year Mattison had 0 TD's.

It showed.
I'd be shocked if there was another player in the league with as many carries as him but no rushing TDs.
Agreed.

Lack of running game and -12 turnover differential (31st) = No playoffs.

Quote: @"pattersaur" said:
@"Mattyman" said:
Cook scored long TD's in 5 games last year, the Vikings went on to win  all those games.

It showed.
I'd be shocked if there was another player in the league with as many carries as him but no rushing TDs.
not making excuses for Mattison... but I would be shocked if there was a more inept team at run blocking in short yardage situations than the Vikings this year.  the only thing sadder than that was our coach would keep trying to run behind those 3 when  they needed to move the chains or score.  absolutely pathetic.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"pattersaur" said:
@"Mattyman" said:

It showed.
not making excuses for Mattison... but I would be shocked if there was a more inept team at run blocking in short yardage situations than the Vikings this year.  the only thing sadder than that was our coach would keep trying to run behind those 3 when  they needed to move the chains or score.  absolutely pathetic.
Definately a combination of scheme, lack of physicality, turnovers and a general lack of commitment in trying to establish the run game by KOC. Regardless, Mattison won't be back 

Ty Chandler is a starting NFL running back. Once he actually got playing time, he averaged 4.5 yards a carry behind an at times limited offense. He also had some big plays in there, one need look no further than the Bengals game to see how he can perform when given an actual consistent opportunity. I don’t remember how many 8 yard runs the guy had, but it was quite a few. He had that nice TD run against the saints called back as well. 
We don’t have a need at running back other than a backup/relief guy. As a coach, I’d work Ty hard on pass catching this off-season and it can add another dimension ti the playbook. He’s already shown he has good hands and a Marshall Faulk type of usage would be nice. Kid has great speed. 

Quote: @"Havoc1649" said:
Ty Chandler is a starting NFL running back. Once he actually got playing time, he averaged 4.5 yards a carry behind an at times limited offense. He also had some big plays in there, one need look no further than the Bengals game to see how he can perform when given an actual consistent opportunity. I don’t remember how many 8 yard runs the guy had, but it was quite a few. 
We don’t have a need at running back other than a backup/relief guy. As a coach, I’d work Ty hard on pass catching this off-season and it can add another dimension ti the playbook. 
And blitz pick up,  he wasn't as bad as I was expecting since  that was the rumor for him not getting time early,  but he still missed some really easy to see pre snap blitzes.  There were times teams made no attempt to conceal their plans and we still couldn't pick it up.

Agree with all that Cook was past his shelf life, for the cost.  Look at what he did with the Jets.
I was shocked that Mattison did not step in and do as well or better.
I was pleasantly surprised the Chandler did better.
I was bummed about the Cam Akers injury.
You could see that both Chandlers and Akers hit the hole faster (and differently) than Mattison.  Fraction of a second, but notably different.
I don't know the answer here, but while we have a "serviceable" RG with Ingram, unless there is notable improvement next year, there is room for personnel improvement.
Risner did not allow a sack at LG, but my recollection was that run blocking was not one of his strengths.  Am I incorrect here?
When O'Neill and Darrisaw were out (for injuries), is the falloff to our depth that bad?  Do we need to upgrade the depth there?

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Havoc1649" said:
Ty Chandler is a starting NFL running back. Once he actually got playing time, he averaged 4.5 yards a carry behind an at times limited offense. He also had some big plays in there, one need look no further than the Bengals game to see how he can perform when given an actual consistent opportunity. I don’t remember how many 8 yard runs the guy had, but it was quite a few. 
We don’t have a need at running back other than a backup/relief guy. As a coach, I’d work Ty hard on pass catching this off-season and it can add another dimension ti the playbook. 
And blitz pick up,  he wasn't as bad as I was expecting since  that was the rumor for him not getting time early,  but he still missed some really easy to see pre snap blitzes.  There were times teams made no attempt to conceal their plans and we still couldn't pick it up.
Agreed. He needs to get better at blitz pickup. That was one of the rumors as to why he wasn't playing earlier. I'm not sure what the plan is with Cam Akers who is a RFA. I think we'll be in the market for a running back likely in the draft 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
I would not be surprised to see the Vikings look at drafting a running back early. You take Blake Corum or someone like that in the second and I'm feeling much better about our run game next season 
Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
I would not be surprised to see the Vikings look at drafting a running back early. You take Blake Corum or someone like that in the second and I'm feeling much better about our run game next season 
I think I'd rather have RB Donovan Edwards in purple.....

I'd be shocked if "The Don" declared after this past season.  I also don't know if he has any feel or vision. Granted, he bounces some runs for big gains, but 8 out of 10 times he runs into the back end of pile of humanity. He definitely needs to get a year to prove he can be a feature back.

If he came out this year he probably gets a 4th rd. grade based on his lack of production.

One thing nobody has mentioned is Duane McBride, our 7th round pick who is sitting on the PS (and signed a Reserve/Futures contract 3 days ago).  I really liked him after the draft.  Put up huge numbers at UAB.  Never heard a scouting report in Training Camp, and he didn't get a sniff of playing time.  What's up with McBride?

Quote: @"mgobluevikes" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
I think I'd rather have RB Donovan Edwards in purple.....

I'd be shocked if "The Don" declared after this past season.  I also don't know if he has any feel or vision. Granted, he bounces some runs for big gains, but 8 out of 10 times he runs into the back end of pile of humanity. He definitely needs to get a year to prove he can be a feature back.

If he came out this year he probably gets a 4th rd. grade based on his lack of production.
One thing is for, I'd love to see the Vikings pull a Landon Dickerson with Zak Zinter, stash him on IR for the year, and have him starting for us in 2025. Shame he got hurt. Absolute stud