Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Penix
Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"AGRforever" said:
If we want Penix, just resign Dobbs, which I’m not against as a backup.  Penix certainly didn’t pass the eye test and he had weapons. I’d say he fell out of the first round last night. 

I’d draft McCarthy but probably not at 11. It would be interesting to give Flores the pick of the litter on defense as it looks like all 10 picks ahead of us will be offense. 
I dont see the comp at all,  I am guessing last night was the first you have seen of Penix?  Penix is typically very accurate, especially on deep balls. 

With that said,  I am cooling on Penix and leaning more towards Nix or McCarthy,  not because of how Penix played last night, but more that he got hurt once again.  The reality of having another Teddy issue to deal with is just to soon.  Any kid we pick has the chance of getting hurt,  but I would prefer to see a kid that doesnt come with a substantial medical chart. 
Agree Jimmy, he wears that big brace on his knee and you just have to wonder after every hit is he going to be okay.  Then his ribs got hurt under the Michigan pressure.  If the Vikings take him he is going to face pressure every time he drops back to pass unless they improve the interior offensive line.  I was in the Penix camp but seeing what Michigan did to him I have jumped off the hype train.  

Nix or McCarthy could drop to the 11th pick without giving up any draft capital, maybe take one of those guys and have him sit behind Cousins for a season.

Quote: @"Greylock" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"AGRforever" said:
If we want Penix, just resign Dobbs, which I’m not against as a backup.  Penix certainly didn’t pass the eye test and he had weapons. I’d say he fell out of the first round last night. 

I’d draft McCarthy but probably not at 11. It would be interesting to give Flores the pick of the litter on defense as it looks like all 10 picks ahead of us will be offense. 
I dont see the comp at all,  I am guessing last night was the first you have seen of Penix?  Penix is typically very accurate, especially on deep balls. 

With that said,  I am cooling on Penix and leaning more towards Nix or McCarthy,  not because of how Penix played last night, but more that he got hurt once again.  The reality of having another Teddy issue to deal with is just to soon.  Any kid we pick has the chance of getting hurt,  but I would prefer to see a kid that doesnt come with a substantial medical chart. 
Agree Jimmy, he wears that big brace on his knee and you just have to wonder after every hit is he going to be okay.  Then his ribs got hurt under the Michigan pressure.  If the Vikings take him he is going to face pressure every time he drops back to pass unless they improve the interior offensive line.  I was in the Penix camp but seeing what Michigan did to him I have jumped off the hype train.  

Nix or McCarthy could drop to the 11th pick without giving up any draft capital, maybe take one of those guys and have him sit behind Cousins for a season.
im with you up to the sit behind Cousins  for a year part.  We need the cap relief that moving on from Cousins will provide (minus the 28 cap hit this year) but we need a lot of money to fill a lot of holes as well as address our two most glaring needs at IOL and IDL.  If we cant shore up this OL then IMO we need to skip the QB in this draft and trade down to aquire more picks that can get used on those areas of need.  I dont see how we fix the issues,  keep Kirk, and not create a future cap issue by pushing all this work into the future which is the last thing I want to see happen.

I've seen Penix quite a bit and he has always looked really good. I was hoping he would have a rough night because (1) I'm a Michigan guy and (2) that would hopefully drop him out of the top 5 or 10. But just as you wouldn't grade him exclusively on the Texas game, you also should not put too much on last night's game. He is a remarkably accurate down field passer with plenty of zip and accuracy to all parts of the field. His receivers did not help much either. 

While I would not trade up for Penix (I would for Daniels), I would stand pat and take him at 11.  

I'm concerned about the injuries but not so much about last night.  He was facing a team stocked with future NFL players and arguably the best defense in the nation, run by a great hc who has elite staff calling the game for him (the guy we should have hired but oh well).

I expected Michigan to dismantle them and they did.

Penix stock has risen but I heard this morning there are NFL teams who have a second round grade on him.  The public tends to go full hype or full hate off of single games, that's not how it works in the league.  Except maybe for stupido owners who think they are general managers.

I don’t know about Penix, but sign me up for Michigan’s DT Mason Graham…!!! 

edit: not eligible for 2024 draft 
Confused 

I can just imagine what they will call him if he struggles  :#

What if Penix were Tua but with a better arm? Would you take that if we trade back from 11 to, say, 18 - 20 and pick up a 2d or 3d rounder? I didn't pick Tua just because they are both lefties, both are average athletes (they are not Lamar but they move better than Cousins), both are very accurate, both throw a nice deep ball - but Penix has a better arm than Tua, both come with significant injury history, ...

I think that's not a bad risk for a potential franchise QB. 

Quote: @"dadevike" said:
What if Penix were Tua but with a better arm? Would you take that if we trade back from 11 to, say, 18 - 20 and pick up a 2d or 3d rounder? I didn't pick Tua just because they are both lefties, both are average athletes (they are not Lamar but they move better than Cousins), both are very accurate, both throw a nice deep ball - but Penix has a better arm than Tua, both come with significant injury history, ...

If Penix is there at 11 we have to take him, it's a no-brainer. Hopefully KAM's brain has developed some since giving the Lions our 12 for a ham sandwich.

Quote: @"mblack" said:
I can just imagine what they will call him if he struggles  :#
Flaccid?

Quote: @"dadevike" said:

If he can be Tua he’d be a great pick. Ironically both of them carry huge injury risk. I’m not sold he is Tua though.