Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: You get an A and you get an A, we all get A's!
All good points . . . but I'm not too worried about kids who got into Yale. I'll bet they can all read at whatever level you'd like them to read and can all do college level math. The acceptance rate at Yale is around 5% and their applicants are unbelievably qualified.

If you want to talk about the below-average kids and those who get pushed along from one grade to the next regardless of achievement, fine. (If I were a high school teacher and you failed my basic H.S. class, I sure as hell would not want to see you back in my class the next year. I would hope you would be someone else's problem next year.) But to use Yale as the starting point for the failure of US education is quite the stretch.

If you got into Yale on your merits - not because your parents donated $50M or because your dad is George Herbert Walker Bush - it hardly matters if you got an A for doing B level (Yale level) work. These are among the top of all H.S. students in the country.

Quote: @dadevike said:
All good points . . . but I'm not too worried about kids who got into Yale. I'll bet they can all read at whatever level you'd like them to read and can all do college level math. The acceptance rate at Yale is around 5% and their applicants are unbelievably qualified.

If you want to talk about the below-average kids and those who get pushed along from one grade to the next regardless of achievement, fine. (If I were a high school teacher and you failed my basic H.S. class, I sure as hell would not want to see you back in my class the next year. I would hope you would be someone else's problem next year.) But to use Yale as the starting point for the failure of US education is quite the stretch.

If you got into Yale on your merits - not because your parents donated $50M or because your dad is George Herbert Walker Bush - it hardly matters if you got an A for doing B level (Yale level) work. These are among the top of all H.S. students in the country.
Just move past Yale, lol. Its just another example of this trend that's been going on for awhile now in public education (high school, college, etc.).

But keep in mind that a decent portion of students at Yale or other Ivy League schools are legacy, close to 16%. That means they'd have never gotten in otherwise. Another percentage are diversity inclusions, which also are allowed in on lower standards. So yes, Ivy League schools are very good, but they also are not exactly what they are cracked up to be either.

I wish they'd install that policy at my daughter's school. 

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
I have watched plenty of videos of teachers being told by administrators to change grades because of parents, that is a huge part of why teachers are leaving. The entitlement and audacity is absolutely ridiculous. There are also parents that threaten to take donation money away from the school if the grade isn't changed. It's disgusting 
Parents are also a large part of the problem.  All these kids on learning plans that the teachers have to accommodate every single criteria or get sued.  Every kid is special and needs to be accommodated unlike years past where it was up to Johnny to keep up not handheld.   Parents are posting on facebook and tiktock bitching about teachers all day and teachers cannot respond.  They have to wait until parent teacher conference and then guess who doesn't show up Smile

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
We’re fortunate enough to be able to send our kids to private school. They beat the ever loving snot out of them on tests and homework. We have to be careful they aren’t getting hit with to much homework. I’m not particularly worried about them when they enter college. They’ll breeze right through. 

Quote: @minny65 said:
@Vikergirl said:
I have watched plenty of videos of teachers being told by administrators to change grades because of parents, that is a huge part of why teachers are leaving. The entitlement and audacity is absolutely ridiculous. There are also parents that threaten to take donation money away from the school if the grade isn't changed. It's disgusting 
Parents are also a large part of the problem.  All these kids on learning plans that the teachers have to accommodate every single criteria or get sued.  Every kid is special and needs to be accommodated unlike years past where it was up to Johnny to keep up not handheld.   Parents are posting on facebook and tiktock bitching about teachers all day and teachers cannot respond.  They have to wait until parent teacher conference and then guess who doesn't show up Smile
Agreed parents are not helping, examples include grade changes and the Lori Loughlin/Felicity Huffman scandal. Parents should be responsible and teachers should be allowed to teach. Some parents are not involved or taking responsibility. The ridiculous amount of videos of students not paying attention, not giving up their phones in class or attacking teachers is appalling. I feel for teachers that wanted to make teaching their life's work that are leaving because they don't feel safe. I feel for the kids caught in the middle that want to learn or can't learn. Kids are being failed but so are teachers. The teacher shortage is only growing and it's going to get worse. I know there is a lot of trauma as well but the current system is not helping or healthy 

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@MaroonBells said:
We’re fortunate enough to be able to send our kids to private school. They beat the ever loving snot out of them on tests and homework. We have to be careful they aren’t getting hit with to much homework. I’m not particularly worried about them when they enter college. They’ll breeze right through. 
My son was lucky enough to go to a top 1% public school system in the whole country (Blue Valley, Overland Park, Kansas). Great education. But if we didn't have something like that, we'd have definitely gone the private school route. Night and day education.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@AGRforever said:
@MaroonBells said:
My son was lucky enough to go to a top 1% public school system in the whole country (Blue Valley, Overland Park, Kansas). Great education. But if we didn't have something like that, we'd have definitely gone the private school route. Night and day education.
The top percentages schools are getting gamed now days as well. They’ll expel or move kids with bad scores. All in the name of gpa. 

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@StickyBun said:
@AGRforever said:
@MaroonBells said:
The top percentages schools are getting gamed now days as well. They’ll expel or move kids with bad scores. All in the name of gpa. 
Could be, my son graduated back in 2012. Things may have shifted. 

The best private school in Florida is called American Heritage and is about 10 miles away from where I live.

Its an amazing institution: https://www.ahschool.com/palm-beach-campus

Up here by Seattle, there was a constant litany of grades, accountability, etc in schools all being "racist"...and it bubbled back up with annoying regularity.

I'm going to let some of you in on a secret: nothing is as terrifying to a severe cynic as society actually proving to be DUMBER than he/she thought.