Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ty Chandler RB1
Quote: @"AGRforever" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"AGRforever" said:
We need to draft a difference maker at RB next spring. 
We have a lot bigger needs than RB,  that is the last hole that should be addressed,  especially now that the position is being devalued as much as it is.
We have no running game. Is it the OL or is it lack of talent at the position?
OL and play calling IMO

One big difference with Chandler is the speed to get to the outside, that made a huge difference to have that dimension. 

Quote: @"JR44" said:
One big difference with Chandler is the speed to get to the outside, that made a huge difference to have that dimension. 
Mattison is really slow. He’s solid when he has a hole and can hit it for 10 yards, and look good doing so. He also stepped up with his pass blocking yesterday in a few spots I noticed. But Chandler is just so much faster. It’s hard to leave that speed on the bench. 

Chandler was blocking downfield for Dobbs when Dobbs ran, now he needs to do it from the backfield. It should be easier to learn to pick up the blitz than to acquire RB skills that AM simply does not have. Am is a nice relief / change of pace RB to hammer the line a few times a game and occasionally throw him the ball (gulp). But he is not an RB1. 

Just like KOC was finally seeing the light that Akers was better than AM so they were going to split 50/50 until Akers went down. Hopefully, Chandler can kickstart the running game and maybe KOC will see it again.

The only people on our roster with more than 3.8 ypc are Dobbs and Kene (only 2 carries).  What we have is a systemic problem more than a RB problem.

Quote: @"medaille" said:
The only people on our roster with more than 3.8 ypc are Dobbs and Kene (only 2 carries).  What we have is a systemic problem more than a RB problem.
Chandler would blow that out of the water if O'Neill doesn't tackle a defender. It was a legit penalty, but I think Chandler was already by the defender before the hold. Also, there was a screen pass Chandler took for about 40 yards earlier this year that was also brought back due to penalty. And let's not forget the 103-yard return against the Packers, ALSO brought back due to penalty. This kid can play. Vision, burst, speed. It almost pisses me off he hasn't been playing. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"medaille" said:
Chandler would blow that out of the water if O'Neill doesn't tackle a defender. It was a legit penalty, but I think Chandler was already by the defender before the hold. Also, there was a screen pass Chandler took for about 40 yards earlier this year that was also brought back due to penalty. And let's not forget the 103-yard return against the Packers, ALSO brought back due to penalty. This kid can play. Vision, burst, speed. It almost pisses me off he hasn't been playing. 
The one 10 yard run up the gut was well blocked for him as well.  I just hope KOC can figure out how to call a run game and stick with it.

I agree with many of you.  It was clear as a bell to me that he hits the hole with far more quickness than Mattison.  And I recall my impression of Dalvin Cook last year in particular, he would hesitate before hitting the line.  Not sure if he was trying to be patient and waiting for his holes to open up, but as you guys know, it was whiff, whiff, whiff, whiff, bam!  Too many zero or negative yardage plays (offset by a few home runs).  And look at him with the Jets this year.  We were not wrong.
I was shocked(?) at how quickly Chandler hits the hole vs. Mattison.  Nwangu doesn't pack the same punch.  
Chandler reminds me of the Eagle's Swift or Pacheco with the Chiefs.  Smaller, quick and nimble packages.

So the team will probably have: Chandler, Hammer and Gaskin to go in Denver then? 

p.s. forgot about Kene.

Looking to 2024-- Ekeler would be my first call. His YPC is bad this year but he looks explosive still and his pass catching skills would be a ton of fun in our offense. Down the list I'd target Swift or Moss to complement whatever Chandler and Kene can give us. Drafting a guy would be ideal, I just don't think we have enough early picks to do so. That leads me to believe we'll go the FA route at RB.