Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So it seems the board is bittersweet about this win?
Quote: @StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
I'm sure Josh is just happy that he no longer has to pay for his meals at the team facility. 
He's also just 28 years old. I'm sure he'd love to have a chance to be the guy somewhere. Odds are long that will be the case, he's obviously bounced around. I'm just taking it week to week. It'll be interesting to see where KOC goes with this: will he give Dobbs time only until Hall heals from his concussion or will he extend Dobb's time if he plays decently?
It's the NFL where anything is possible. The Eagles won a Super Bowl with their backup QB. The Vikings probably aren't as good as that Eagles team, but I do think Dobbs and/or Hall can be every bit as good as Foles was.

Bittersweet is probably a pretty
accurate term.  The game was a shit show
that we came out on top of.  Tons of
injuries to key players.  Backup QBs for both
teams.  Sloppy offensive plays.  Basically, we won because they didn’t contain
Dobbs from scrambling.  It was a fun game
to watch, and glad we got the win, but a miracle win against a backup QB on a
mediocre team doesn’t move the meter that much. 
I love our coaching staff, but we’re still going to play every game with
a backup caliber QB and/or a rookie 5th round QB, and while we
should get better as time goes on, we’re going to need to be better than that, and also defenses are going to adjust and get tougher.

How Dobbs got it done @ QB was a hoot to watch...This might be a top 10 win for the franchise across all 60 years of its existence.

But every fiber in me believes that's just not sustainable. Not sure he's got what it takes to win in the NFL week to week, to execute a game plan etc. 

I'm rooting for him and have ZERO expectations of getting to the post-season once KC went down. 

So hell, I'll just enjoy the ride. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
The win was great and a fun game to watch. Dobbs, KOC and young receivers like Powell deserve all the kudos they're getting. Vikings now control their playoff destiny. 

But for me, I'd be a helluva lot happier if I thought it were sustainable. If Kirk were still playing, we'd know that JJ is soon due to join Addison for a ridiculously dangerous WR duo. Davenport should soon join an improving defense. I'd love to take THAT team to the playoffs. That team could make some noise. 

If Hall were playing, we'd at least be excited about watching what is essentially an audition for QBOTF. 

But it's Dobbs. A guy on his 9th gig in 7 years. There's a reason for that. Look, I'm relentlessly optimistic, but it's pretty hard to believe he can be consistent enough to keep winning. 
The 9th gig in seven years has some context, he was odd man out with some high profile/anointed son QB's ahead of him.  Roethlisberger/Rudolph, Minshew/Lawrence,
Brissett,Watson, Tannehill/Willis.  Cards traded for him, plucked off of Detroit's PS and now he's here.  Could be he has gotten some great experience on other teams payroll, and he's just traveling the road less traveled.  Not saying he is the QBOTF, but lets not just define him by how he got here without the story behind it.  The QB room has more potential talent now than before he got here and he had a great result in his first game.
Whats bittersweet is watching them win and every victory brings us closer to that 14th to 19th draft slot.  

We saw what I believe was the quintessential backup QB performance. Career backups are not on rosters to lose games when called upon. They are also not called upon to be season long leaders.

Some get caught up in the fools gold of success because the few in the history of the league that have broken that pretty set in stone rule. We saw Dobbs' shortcomings which can't be hidden or apparently fixed to be the long term solution, but he sure will put it all out on the line, and can catch lightning in the bottle from time to time. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
The win was great and a fun game to watch. Dobbs, KOC and young receivers like Powell deserve all the kudos they're getting. Vikings now control their playoff destiny. 

But for me, I'd be a helluva lot happier if I thought it were sustainable. If Kirk were still playing, we'd know that JJ is soon due to join Addison for a ridiculously dangerous WR duo. Davenport should soon join an improving defense. I'd love to take THAT team to the playoffs. That team could make some noise. 

If Hall were playing, we'd at least be excited about watching what is essentially an audition for QBOTF. 

But it's Dobbs. A guy on his 9th gig in 7 years. There's a reason for that. Look, I'm relentlessly optimistic, but it's pretty hard to believe he can be consistent enough to keep winning. 
So much this.  The win seems to be so emotional for KOC and the team and now I expect an egg.  

And yeah, Hall would represent potential, future.  Dobbs was a throwaway from a team in serious need of a good backup QB.  

In a way, I'm just trying to take this whole season as a blessing.  A few weeks ago I would have thought we were going to tank and have nothing to look forward to.  Now, we have a chance to see this team without Kirk.  I think a lot of people forget just how bad our QB situation was before him.  That being said, I don't really know if he will every be enough to take the team to the promise land.  We don't know enough about Dobbs or Hall yet, but man how cool would it be knowing we might have something in one of the 2 of them?  If we can not have a monster QB contract on the books with this team, that is an exciting thought.  

Quote: @medaille said:
should get better as time goes on, we’re going to need to be better than that, and also defenses are going to adjust and get tougher.
Agree

In addition, I really wanted to see more of Hall.  Hopefully, when Hall gets through the protocol we swing right back to him even if Dobbs wins next week.  

Quote: @minny65 said:
@medaille said:
Agree

In addition, I really wanted to see more of Hall.  Hopefully, when Hall gets through the protocol we swing right back to him even if Dobbs wins next week.  
If Dobbs is 2-0 I can pretty much guarantee the team won't go back to Hall right away. Hall is the guy they were forced to start because we had no one else. Dobbs is the guy they went out and traded for who played well enough to win this week. Most fans are assuming Dobbs was brought in to be the backup, but I'm not sure the coaches see it that way at all. Time will tell. Just because we as fans want to know more about Hall, doesn't mean the coaches do. They get to see him every day in practice so I trust whoever they decide to roll with.

Quote: @pattersaur said:
@minny65 said:
@medaille said:
Agree

If Dobbs is 2-0 and can pretty much guarantee the team won't go back to Hall right away. Hall is the guy they were forced to start because we had no one else. Dobbs is the guy they went out and traded for who played good enough to win this week. Most fans are assuming Dobbs was brought in to be the backup, but I'm not sure the coaches see it that way at all. Time will tell. Just because we as fans want to know more about Hall, doesn't mean the coaches do. They get to see him every day in practice so I trust whoever they decide to roll with.
Yes, "I" want to see more of Hall before this season is over!