Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Vikings are open for business
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
Minnesota has received more phone calls than they have making them. It will be interesting to see if they will be buyers or sellers in this years deadline.

Right now they're sellers. But that could change. I don't expect them to beat the 49ers, but the next six games are games they could win. Hard to say what Vegas will think of the Vikings without JJ and Davenport, but I could see them being favored in all six. Packers, Falcons, Saints, Broncos, Bears, Raiders. 

The NYT has a cool page that gives the Vikings playoff chances per game. Right now it's 30%. Losing to the 49ers drops it to 22%. Winning the next six moves it to 87%. Even dropping one of those games keeps it well above 50%. Problem is, Vikings have to make their buy/sell decision after the Packers game. 
anything giving their NFFCG or Superbowl chances?  simply making the playoffs is hardly an accomplishment anymore considering 7 of the 16 teams in the conference make the playoffs.
One step at a time, Jimmy. 
there is no other step,  its time to rebuild this roster,  if they arent in contention for the Conference championship game at this point,  then its time to say this direction is a failure and start selling now,  putting it off a couple more games only leads to more sellers entering the market and lower return for your pieces to move.  most every fan that is being honest with themselves can see it.
I think Jimmy is right why hope to just make the playoffs, been there done that and lose that first round game and they are drafting in the late teens early 20's again.  We have all seen how that goes.

The one thing that is still a mystery is why did they keep all of the scouts from the old regime?  I don't think they hired any new ones, maybe shuffled people around, but if they kept them maybe they need to start cleaning house right there.

The one player I think is a lost cause is Dean Lowry.  He has done nothing to earn his pay...

Quote: @Greylock said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
Minnesota has received more phone calls than they have making them. It will be interesting to see if they will be buyers or sellers in this years deadline.

Right now they're sellers. But that could change. I don't expect them to beat the 49ers, but the next six games are games they could win. Hard to say what Vegas will think of the Vikings without JJ and Davenport, but I could see them being favored in all six. Packers, Falcons, Saints, Broncos, Bears, Raiders. 

The NYT has a cool page that gives the Vikings playoff chances per game. Right now it's 30%. Losing to the 49ers drops it to 22%. Winning the next six moves it to 87%. Even dropping one of those games keeps it well above 50%. Problem is, Vikings have to make their buy/sell decision after the Packers game. 
anything giving their NFFCG or Superbowl chances?  simply making the playoffs is hardly an accomplishment anymore considering 7 of the 16 teams in the conference make the playoffs.
there is no other step,  its time to rebuild this roster,  if they arent in contention for the Conference championship game at this point,  then its time to say this direction is a failure and start selling now,  putting it off a couple more games only leads to more sellers entering the market and lower return for your pieces to move.  most every fan that is being honest with themselves can see it.
I think Jimmy is right why hope to just make the playoffs, been there done that and lose that first round game and they are drafting in the late teens early 20's again.  We have all seen how that goes.

The one thing that is still a mystery is why did they keep all of the scouts from the old regime?  I don't think they hired any new ones, maybe shuffled people around, but if they kept them maybe they need to start cleaning house right there.
At the bold
Competitive scouting to go with the competitive rebuild

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:

Right now they're sellers. But that could change
Dude. lol. Too much Kool-Aid will give you cavities. 
If the Vikings are 4-4 at the trade deadline, facing the return of JJ and six straight games against teams .500 or below, I can pretty much guarantee they're not going to be trading anyone. 

Quote: @mblack said:
@Greylock said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:

At the bold
Just my opinion, but scouts are just information gatherers. That doesnt mean Kwesi is going with their recommendations when it comes to drafting players. I doubt any scout told him to move all the way down the board with a division rival for Lewis Cine, for example. 

The bigger issue to me is the Grigson hire, because to me that's someone who appears to have some sway when it comes to player selections and Grigson was atrocious in Indy at doing that. So the Wilfs at the core of the organization have hired a stock trader with zero experience in scouting or personnel, and Ryan Grigson to steer this organization into the future. That's as bad a combo as it gets in my opinion 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:

If the Vikings are 4-4 at the trade deadline, facing the return of JJ and six straight games against teams .500 or below, I can pretty much guarantee they're not going to be trading anyone. 
That's completely fine with me. Just don't be buyers. That would be VERY stupid and myopic.

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@mblack said:
@Greylock said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:

At the bold
Just my opinion, but scouts are just information gatherers. That doesnt mean Kwesi is going with their recommendations when it comes to drafting players. I doubt any scout told him to move all the way down the board with a division rival for Lewis Cine, for example. 

The bigger issue to me is the Grigson hire, because to me that's someone who appears to have some sway when it comes to player selections and Grigson was atrocious in Indy at doing that. So the Wilfs at the core of the organization have hired a stock trader with zero experience in scouting or personnel, and Ryan Grigson to steer this organization into the future. That's as bad a combo as it gets in my opinion 

Didn't the team revamp their scouting department in the off-season? That might explain why last year's draft was better than 2022.

@StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:

I think they will be 4-4 in the alternate mirror dimension but probably 2-6 in this one. 

Spock has a beard in that universe btw.  Also if the coach has a losing season they don't just fire him, they execute him.  :p

Quote: @comet52 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:

I think they will be 4-4 in the alternate mirror dimension but probably 2-6 in this one. 

Spock has a beard in that universe btw.  Also if the coach has a losing season they don't just fire him, they execute him.  :p
Speaking of alternate universes, if you had told me that through 6 games that Kirk Cousins would lead the NFL in TDs and be 2nd in yards, that Bradbury would grade as the NFL's 2nd best center, Ingram top half among guards, and that the Vikings defense would improve from 31st to 15th, and that the Vikings would be 2-4, I would've said you had too many Romulan Ales on Casperia Prime. 

@comet52 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:

Speaking of alternate universes, if you had told me that through 6 games that Kirk Cousins would lead the NFL in TDs and be 2nd in yards, that Bradbury would grade as the NFL's 2nd best center, Ingram top half among guards, and that the Vikings defense would improve from 31st to 15th, and that the Vikings would be 2-4, I would've said you had too many Romulan Ales on Casperia Prime. 
I could use a few belts of Romulan ale, mostly on Sundays around 2:45pm.