• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LMAO
Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
And Brock Purdy's cap number is $800K. HIs percentage of cap is .4%. He won't be a free agent until 2026. Like I said, sometimes you need to get lucky. 
Let's not forget that Purdy is driving a Porsche, not a Hyundai.....with a D that helps him substantially. He's not doing any heavy lifting. Other QBs would most likely have similar success, at some level. The organization has created a very strong team on both sides of the ball.
Yes, that's my point. The avg percentage of cap for QBs in the NFL is between 12-15%. Purdy's is .4%. That leaves a lot of cap room to keep and add talent elsewhere. 
The talent was there before Purdy. As a very lucky by-product, they are benefitting this year and last. But if Purdy stays healthy in 2023 and continues to be successful, you can expect that rookie contract to be torn up and redone. 

My point was and is that the 49ers have built a tremendous team on both sides of the ball before they took advantage of Purdy's contract. Their excellent roster is not a byproduct of Purdy's low contract. I think a team that is going to suffer because of a contract (Mahomes) is KC. But a recent Superbowl and Mahomes's greatness often mitigates the weakness of other facets of the team. 
If the 49ers don't have the cheapest starting QB in the NFL, and the long-term head room and confidence that gives them, they likely don't pay Javon Hargrave $84M or make Nick Bosa the highest paid defensive player in history. It's a give and take and the 49ers are absolutely set up to dominate for the next couple years.

Of course they would. Minnesota just made Hock the highest paid TE and are on the verge of a record breaking contract with JJ.....all with Cousins's contract. Just signed a special teamer (Metellus) to a head scratching contract as well. As you keep saying, the cap keeps going up and a team can find room when it needs to. Again, this isn't about Purdy's contract.

Not even close to the same thing. It's about planning for the future.  A better example is the Chiefs. They knew they couldn't pay both Mahomes and Tyreek Hill long term contracts, so they moved Hill and paid Mahomes. If the 49ers were paying QB X $30M a year, they don't sign Bosa long term, and likely not Hargrave. 

This isn't about Cousins. I think Cousins ranks 15th in QB salary. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
And Brock Purdy's cap number is $800K. HIs percentage of cap is .4%. He won't be a free agent until 2026. Like I said, sometimes you need to get lucky. 
Let's not forget that Purdy is driving a Porsche, not a Hyundai.....with a D that helps him substantially. He's not doing any heavy lifting. Other QBs would most likely have similar success, at some level. The organization has created a very strong team on both sides of the ball.
Yes, that's my point. The avg percentage of cap for QBs in the NFL is between 12-15%. Purdy's is .4%. That leaves a lot of cap room to keep and add talent elsewhere. 
The talent was there before Purdy. As a very lucky by-product, they are benefitting this year and last. But if Purdy stays healthy in 2023 and continues to be successful, you can expect that rookie contract to be torn up and redone. 

My point was and is that the 49ers have built a tremendous team on both sides of the ball before they took advantage of Purdy's contract. Their excellent roster is not a byproduct of Purdy's low contract. I think a team that is going to suffer because of a contract (Mahomes) is KC. But a recent Superbowl and Mahomes's greatness often mitigates the weakness of other facets of the team. 
If the 49ers don't have the cheapest starting QB in the NFL, and the long-term head room and confidence that gives them, they likely don't pay Javon Hargrave $84M or make Nick Bosa the highest paid defensive player in history. It's a give and take and the 49ers are absolutely set up to dominate for the next couple years.

Of course they would. Minnesota just made Hock the highest paid TE and are on the verge of a record breaking contract with JJ.....all with Cousins's contract. Just signed a special teamer (Metellus) to a head scratching contract as well. As you keep saying, the cap keeps going up and a team can find room when it needs to. Again, this isn't about Purdy's contract.

Not even close to the same thing. It's about planning for the future.  A better example is the Chiefs. They knew they couldn't pay both Mahomes and Tyreek Hill long term contracts, so they moved Hill and paid Mahomes. If the 49ers were paying QB X $30M a year, they don't sign Bosa long term, and likely not Hargrave. 

It is the same. Do you think Purdy is playing on his current contract next season?? lol, of course not. They definitely are planning for it, its coming. Now he may not break the bank but it will be much more substantial....much more. And again, my point....this team was incredibly solid and great on both sides of the ball BEFORE Purdy. And the Vikings are going to let Hunter walk next season, just like KC did with Hill. Business decision. Darrisaw's contract is also coming. So what's different again? I mean, the magic and myth about a cap I find interesting as you can manipulate it so easily, like Minnesota just did to free up $10 million with O'Neills contract. Its like what can't be done?  :p

[Image: giphy.gif]

@"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

It is the same. Do you think Purdy is playing on his current contract next season?? lol, of course not. They definitely are planning for it, its coming. Now he may not break the bank but it will be much more substantial....much more. And again, my point....this team was incredibly solid and great on both sides of the ball BEFORE Purdy. And the Vikings are going to let Hunter walk next season, just like KC did with Hill. Business decision. Darrisaw's contract is also coming. So what's different again?

they extend his current deal, adding several more years,  back load the signing bonus to push the hit out for at least 4 years or so,  they fit what they can into the cheap years,  but really wont feel the affects most likely until 26 at the earliest.  Technically he is under contract through 25 so there is no current need to even be looking at next year for them.

as far as Kirks impact on the current roster,  he is 15th currently,  but his contract has been a constriction on building the roster to date, and the lack of a successor makes him the likely QB for the next couple years and its pretty safe to say his new deal doesnt keep him at 15th,  so despite his current ranking,  his number is very much part of the issue we are facing,   especially with the limitations in his game,  in order for this team to really get to where it needs to be,  Kirk needs to have a premier OL in front of him to allow for his statue pocket passer game to really shine, and fixing those 3 interior positions easy.  reminds me of an old saying,  you can have 2 or the 3 things,  but not all 3,  Good, Fast, or Cheap,  but you only get 2.  If we stick with Kirk,  our first choice is likely limited to include Fast,   so whats our 2nd choice... Good or Cheap?

@"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

I’m not sure how you say this with a straight face.  The Vikings just jettisoned multiple fan
favorites because they cost too much. 
The Vikings also chose not to fix several areas that have been perennial
issues in free agency.  I think if the “cap
is a myth” economics were a real thing, we would have made a much more solid
attempt at signing a quality interior OLine, a quality DLine, and probably 2 more
veteran CBs. 
We literally had to cut players to be able to afford to pay
these new contracts.

@"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

It is the same. Do you think Purdy is playing on his current contract next season?? lol, of course not. They definitely are planning for it, its coming. Now he may not break the bank but it will be much more substantial....much more. And again, my point....this team was incredibly solid and great on both sides of the ball BEFORE Purdy. And the Vikings are going to let Hunter walk next season, just like KC did with Hill. Business decision. Darrisaw's contract is also coming. So what's different again? I mean, the magic and myth about a cap I find interesting as you can manipulate it so easily, like Minnesota just did to free up $10 million with O'Neills contract. Its like what can't be done?  :p

[Image: giphy.gif]

He will actually. CBA prohibits teams from renegotiating contracts of players until they complete three full seasons. 

Quote: @"medaille" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

I’m not sure how you say this with a straight face.  The Vikings just jettisoned multiple fan

attempt at signing a quality interior OLine, a quality DLine, and probably 2 more
veteran CBs. 
these new contracts.

I think it's more that their performance no longer matched their salary. 

I don't think the cap is a myth but it sure is elastic...

The #49ers have the highest-paid DE (Nick Bosa), highest-paid RB (Christian McCaffrey), highest-paid FB (Kyle Juszczyk), the third-highest-paid TE (George Kittle), the third-highest-paid LT (Trent Williams), the third-highest-paid LB (Fred Warner), the sixth-highest-paid DT (Javon Hargrave), and the seventh-highest-paid WR (Deebo Samuel).

...AND they have $40M in cap space. Most in the NFL. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"medaille" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

veteran CBs. 
these new contracts.

I think it's more that their performance no longer matched their salary. 

I don't think the cap is a myth but it sure is elastic...

The #49ers have the highest-paid DE (Nick Bosa), highest-paid RB (Christian McCaffrey), highest-paid FB (Kyle Juszczyk), the third-highest-paid TE (George Kittle), the third-highest-paid LT (Trent Williams), the third-highest-paid LB (Fred Warner), the sixth-highest-paid DT (Javon Hargrave), and the seventh-highest-paid WR (Deebo Samuel).

...AND they have $40M in cap space. Most in the NFL. 
Totally agree with the cap being elastic.  That’s probably the best way to phrase
it.  Part of the elastic nature of it is
that we’ve been paying Cousins good money for several years, probably worth 2
high quality players at most positions per year and if you use the elasticity
of the cap to either give yourself more cap space in the future or to take cap
space from the future to give it to yourself today you can concentrate your
competitiveness when you want.  It’d be
interesting to see how the 49ers were able to concentrate their talent so much
right now.  Regarding future cap, they’re
bottom 3 in 2024 and 2025 in amount of cap space, but it’s funny that they’re
holding onto so much cap space for 2023. 
Must be planning for a potential QB trade if Purdy doesn’t work out.

....and does all of this or any of this change the fact the 49ers were talented BEFORE Purdy? lol. Guys....c'mon. At some point, the fault lies with the franchise. Its only one game, but if Minnesota has a shitty season upcoming, the 'competitive rebuild' is a failure. I'll look very forward to the QBOTF. 

....and does all of this or any of this change the fact the 49ers were talented BEFORE Purdy? lol. Guys....c'mon. At some point, the fault lies with the franchise. Its only one game, but if Minnesota has a shitty season upcoming, the 'competitive rebuild' is a failure. I'll look very forward to the QBOTF. 
Ideally you build the trenches and then get that QB - but this year's potential crop of QB's may make that a mute point. 

Of course they were talented. Is that all you're trying to say? No one would disagree with that. Still think they probably don't give that huge deal to Bosa (and possibly even Hargrave) without knowing they have the lowest paid QB in the league for another two years. Sorry, I just get tired of arguing absolutes when everything is grey. IOW, yes they were talented. Yes, they would still be talented without them. AS talented? Probably not.