Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LMAO
https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/stat...4709381267

This was truly an ass whipping. You don't see many of these in the NFL. The 49ers are tough and will bully you on both sides of the ball. I'd love a team constructed this way. 

Thats the type of team that those of is that have been on the negative side are talking about,  if you dont have that roster,  or the window to build that roster around your older players...then whats the point of pretending?  This competitive rebuild is a fallacy and any attempts to do so only string out that timeliness of getting to roster that might compete with those teams that are truly in a superbowl window.

And passing on players like Kyle Hamilton and Jalen Carter dont make it look much like the focus is on building that kind of roster.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
Thats the type of team that those of is that have been on the negative side are talking about,  if you dont have that roster,  or the window to build that roster around your older players...then whats the point of pretending?  This competitive rebuild is a fallacy and any attempts to do so only string out that timeliness of getting to roster that might compete with those teams that are truly in a superbowl window.

And passing on players like Kyle Hamilton and Jalen Carter dont make it look much like the focus is on building that kind of roster.
Whether a fan agrees or disagrees with your sentiment, I think at its base it's a legitimate opinion. In theory, a 'competitive rebuild' only works until its not competitive any longer. Or you remain competitive. We've only played one game, so it remains to be seen. But as I mentioned in another post/thread, the Vikings have a real challenge in front of them the next 4 out of 6 games upcoming. We'll know at the end of that time. 

I was for a competitive rebuild.....but at the start of Year 2 of it, it appears its going in the wrong direction. The team doesn't operate in a vacuum, other franchises are always trying to improve and sometimes do. Margins for error are thin in this league.

And Brock Purdy's cap number is $800K. HIs percentage of cap is .4%. He won't be a free agent until 2026. Like I said, sometimes you need to get lucky. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
And Brock Purdy's cap number is $800K. HIs percentage of cap is .4%. He won't be a free agent until 2026. Like I said, sometimes you need to get lucky. 
Let's not forget that Purdy is driving a Porsche, not a Hyundai.....with a D that helps him substantially. He's not doing any heavy lifting. Other QBs would most likely have similar success, at some level. The organization has created a very strong team on both sides of the ball, setting a QB up for success without Herculean efforts by him required weekly to win.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
Let's not forget that Purdy is driving a Porsche, not a Hyundai.....with a D that helps him substantially. He's not doing any heavy lifting. Other QBs would most likely have similar success, at some level. The organization has created a very strong team on both sides of the ball.
Yes, that's my point. The avg percentage of cap for QBs in the NFL is between 12-15%. Purdy's is .4%. That leaves a lot of cap room to keep and add talent elsewhere. 

@"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
Let's not forget that Purdy is driving a Porsche, not a Hyundai.....with a D that helps him substantially. He's not doing any heavy lifting. Other QBs would most likely have similar success, at some level. The organization has created a very strong team on both sides of the ball.
Yes, that's my point. The avg percentage of cap for QBs in the NFL is between 12-15%. Purdy's is .4%. That leaves a lot of cap room to keep and add talent elsewhere. 
The talent was there before Purdy. As a very lucky by-product, they are benefitting this year and last. But if Purdy stays healthy in 2023 and continues to be successful, you can expect that rookie contract to be torn up and redone. 

My point was and is that the 49ers have built a tremendous team on both sides of the ball before they took advantage of Purdy's contract. Their excellent roster is not a byproduct of Purdy's low contract. I think a team that is going to suffer because of a contract (Mahomes) is KC. But a recent Superbowl and Mahomes's greatness often mitigates the weakness of other facets of the team. 

Whats crazy, is they built this roster even with the Lance F up. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
The talent was there before Purdy. As a very lucky by-product, they are benefitting this year and last. But if Purdy stays healthy in 2023 and continues to be successful, you can expect that rookie contract to be torn up and redone. 

My point was and is that the 49ers have built a tremendous team on both sides of the ball before they took advantage of Purdy's contract. Their excellent roster is not a byproduct of Purdy's low contract. I think a team that is going to suffer because of a contract (Mahomes) is KC. But a recent Superbowl and Mahomes's greatness often mitigates the weakness of other facets of the team. 
If the 49ers don't have the cheapest starting QB in the NFL, and the long-term head room and confidence that gives them, they likely don't pay Javon Hargrave $84M or make Nick Bosa the highest paid defensive player in history. It's a give and take and the 49ers are absolutely set up to dominate for the next couple years.

@"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

If the 49ers don't have the cheapest starting QB in the NFL, and the long-term head room and confidence that gives them, they likely don't pay Javon Hargrave $84M or make Nick Bosa the highest paid defensive player in history. It's a give and take and the 49ers are absolutely set up to dominate for the next couple years.

Of course they would. Minnesota just made Hock the highest paid TE and are on the verge of a record breaking contract with JJ.....all with Cousins's contract. Just signed a special teamer (Metellus) to a head scratching contract as well. As you keep saying, the cap keeps going up and a team can find room when it needs to. Again, this isn't about Purdy's contract.