Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One to watch...
Quote: @supafreak84 said:

This is a kid who could really rocket up draft boards. Arm strength is insane. 6'5"/245 transfer from Michigan. Won the job last season, got hurt, lost the job to Hendon Hooker, then back as the starter after Hooker tore up his knee. Finished the season with 10 TD's, 0 INT's and was named the Orange Bowl MVP. Has reportedly improved by leaps and bounds this offseason in his overall game. 

Vikings need a QB...this is a kid to watch with college football just around the corner 
Really had high hopes for him at Michigan. He got a little time in mop up duty his freshman year, but must have had some issues to not wait his turn. Seemed like a bad move at the time especially going to Tenn. only to get stuck behind a couple more starters. 

Quote: @mgobluevikes said:
@supafreak84 said:

This is a kid who could really rocket up draft boards. Arm strength is insane. 6'5"/245 transfer from Michigan. Won the job last season, got hurt, lost the job to Hendon Hooker, then back as the starter after Hooker tore up his knee. Finished the season with 10 TD's, 0 INT's and was named the Orange Bowl MVP. Has reportedly improved by leaps and bounds this offseason in his overall game. 

Vikings need a QB...this is a kid to watch with college football just around the corner 
Really had high hopes for him at Michigan. He got a little time in mop up duty his freshman year, but must have had some issues to not wait his turn. Seemed like a bad move at the time especially going to Tenn. only to get stuck behind a couple more starters. 
I was hoping you'd chime in here since he was at Michigan for a bit. I used to follow recruiting pretty closely but with the NIL stuff, I don't anymore, so I didn't even know who he was until he took over for Hooker last season and the size and arm strength jumped off the screen to me. We'll see how much he's developed this year but physically he's impressive 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@kmillard said:
That's a good call. I am also curious to watch how Sanders (Prime times kid) does with Colorado this year.
I think he was a 3 star H.S. recruit. On the small side. Good athletic skills. He's been rated a higher transfer prospect, which shows he's improved. Good football I.Q. As you mention, big year for him this year to see what's what.

Well he is listed at 6-2 215 so he is not small. He has a frame to add more bulk. Weighs 10 more lbs than cousins right now.

Quote: @kmillard said:
@StickyBun said:
@kmillard said:
That's a good call. I am also curious to watch how Sanders (Prime times kid) does with Colorado this year.
I think he was a 3 star H.S. recruit. On the small side. Good athletic skills. He's been rated a higher transfer prospect, which shows he's improved. Good football I.Q. As you mention, big year for him this year to see what's what.

Well he is listed at 6-2 215 so he is not small. He has a frame to add more bulk. Weighs 10 more lbs than cousins right now.
Yeah, I looked at a site that had him 6'1", 198 lbs so that's where my thought came from. He's got the athletic bloodline for sure. 

I hesitate to post this because the same was said at this time last year & it didn't materialize, but the crop of talented QBs that will be available in next year's draft is impressive. In addition to Williams, Maye & those mentioned in this thread you have:
JJ McCarthy, MichiganBo Nix, OregonMichael Penix, WashingtonQuinn Ewers, TexasJordan Travis, FSU
Some of these guys will regress or get injured this season which will affect their draft status, but as of today I wouldn't be surprised to see any of them drafted in the first round next year.

Look at this condensed game vs. Clemson.   Some of the plays seem to be missing but there's enough to get a feel for him.  On passing plays he typically locks onto one guy and stares, waiting for the opening.  No reading through progressions.   There is a play at about 22:10 where he looks right then throws to the middle, which shows some ability to do more.  I saw one or two other plays where he  went to a second look but the staredown, a common problem for college qbs in simple systems, is definitely needing a lot of work to overcome.   

He can run but he isn't elusive, he doesn't have that wily pocket escapability like some guys.   He definitely has a big arm and seems fairly accurate, except on the run where the accuracy drops off considerably.   He throws flat-footed at times, entirely from his upper body which isn't really what you want to see.   You see it with a lot of these big-arm prospects - they don't learn to step into throws and have good mechanics, they just rely on the big arm and it gets them in trouble at times.

I would see him as a project, who might have a career as an NFL backup if all goes well.

Never try to figure out who these kids are from highlight reels.   Look at all-throws/plays vids if you can find them.   A condensed game is the next best thing.

One of the big complaints about Hendon Hooker from Kurt Warner and others during draft evaluation was that the Tennessee offense was not an NFL style offense and you had to wonder if he and Milton were just doing what they were trained to do within the offense, or were they adaptable to being able to run a more pro style offense. 

As far as Milton goes, we'll all hopefully have a full season to be able to evaluate this year

I watch 10x the NFL that I do CFB but all I can add is that I hope all of these QBs play well and stay healthy because our team likely won’t have a look at the cream of the crop. The more ducks on the pond at that position so to speak, the better it is for the Vikings.

Unless you’re one of the posters who thinks Kirk can do this for another 4-5 seasons, we absolutely should be drafting QB very early next year. 

Quote: @pattersaur said:
I watch 10x the NFL that I do CFB but all I can add is that I hope all of these QBs play well and stay healthy because our team likely won’t have a look at the cream of the crop. The more ducks on the pond at that position so to speak, the better it is for the Vikings.

Unless you’re one of the posters who thinks Kirk can do this for another 4-5 seasons, we absolutely should be drafting QB very early next year. 
We should also be drafting interior OL early as well as interior DL, as well as LB, as well as S, as well as DE/Edge. Milton is probably not  starter material based off of his limited experience in that Tenn. system unless he shows something exceptionally extraordinary. 

Quote: @kmillard said:
Had a hell of a first game in an upset win at TCU. Set a Colorado passing record: 510 yards, 4 TD's/0 INT'S