Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@StickyBun said:
@medaille said:
I don’t think we can really say what his strategy is, as we
haven’t really seen him build anything or commit to guys to determine what he
likes.  He’s pretty much just been
eliminating players and bringing in 1 year bandaids to maintain the competitive
rebuild.  
This. The guy hasn't had any room to breath. Let's give the guy some time. I've never seen a fanbase more dubious of someone after a 13 win season, lol. 
It's because he was a dubious hire to begin with and the 13 wins were won on the backs of Spielman and Zimmers players. Jury's still out on what he can really do but as a lifelong fan who's never seen a Super Bowl, I hope we don't waste another 4, 5, 6 years before finding out he really isn't the smartest guy in the room. This year will be telling..

You're fond of saying this but did you really expect Kwesi to replace all 22 starters in his first year? Especially taking into account the cap situation that he inherited from Rick. In the history of NFL regime changes, name me the GM who replaced all 22 starters in his first year.

Quote: @Knucklehead said:
@supafreak84 said:
@StickyBun said:
@medaille said:
rebuild.  
This. The guy hasn't had any room to breath. Let's give the guy some time. I've never seen a fanbase more dubious of someone after a 13 win season, lol. 
It's because he was a dubious hire to begin with and the 13 wins were won on the backs of Spielman and Zimmers players. Jury's still out on what he can really do but as a lifelong fan who's never seen a Super Bowl, I hope we don't waste another 4, 5, 6 years before finding out he really isn't the smartest guy in the room. This year will be telling..

You're fond of saying this but did you really expect Kwesi to replace all 22 starters in his first year? Especially taking into account the cap situation that he inherited from Rick. In the history of NFL regime changes, name me the GM who replaced all 22 starters in his first year.
There wasn't a need to replace 22 starters. The talent was there, as evidenced by us winning 13 games last season and turning all those one score losses into a record number of one score wins. With that said he was a dubious hire coming in based on all the factors discussed on this board ad nauseum so you really wanted to see him come out the gate in his first draft and make an impact on a team that needed a lot of help defensively. Instead, we got assanine trade downs with division rivals, reaches that haven't panned out, and flyers on guts with a history of injury who have been...wait for it.. injured!!! I really hope the hype train around Addison thus far is legit because Kwesi needs it. 

Quote: @JR44 said:
I think the issue when you hire a guy who had absolutely no GM experience before this position is that he is going to be figuring it out as he goes along.  I think this franchise deserved better and there was better available.  Now we have to hope he figures it out. 
So based on your thinking we should have hired a GM with experience.  But wouldn't it be that if a GM with experience was available most likely he would have been fired by his previous team?  Which would mean he sucked at his previous GM position, but hey lets hire the guy anyway because he has experience.

Another dump on Kwesi post.  Everybody on this board knows how each poster feels about him and seem to take every chance they get to let us all know he sucks.

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@Knucklehead said:
@supafreak84 said:
@StickyBun said:
@medaille said:
rebuild.  

There wasn't a need to replace 22 starters. The talent was there, as evidenced by us winning 13 games last season and turning all those one score losses into a record number of one score wins. With that said he was a dubious hire coming in based on all the factors discussed on this board ad nauseum so you really wanted to see him come out the gate in his first draft and make an impact on a team that needed a lot of help defensively. Instead, we got assanine trade downs with division rivals, reaches that haven't panned out, and flyers on guts with a history of injury who have been...wait for it.. injured!!! I really hope the hype train around Addison thus far is legit because Kwesi needs it. 
So you are saying he succeeded in the most important job, he hired a good coach that got more out of the players than the previous regime?

Yeah he hasn't knocked it out of the park at drafting.  But some of that is likely that the coaching staff is new to making the drafting decisions as well. 

Quote: @medaille said:
@supafreak84 said:
@StickyBun said:
@medaille said:
rebuild.  
I think almost by definition, this year won’t be telling,
because this is our sacrifice year where we are building our cap future.

Yep.

Quote: @greediron said:
@supafreak84 said:
@Knucklehead said:
@supafreak84 said:
@StickyBun said:
@medaille said:
rebuild.  

So you are saying he succeeded in the most important job, he hired a good coach that got more out of the players than the previous regime?

Yeah he hasn't knocked it out of the park at drafting.  But some of that is likely that the coaching staff is new to making the drafting decisions as well. 
His most important job is providing the roster with enough talent to get us to the big game. So far his actual roster contributions have been minimal. You can give him credit for hiring KOC, but I'll hold off on anointing KOC anything after his hiring of "Easy" Ed Donatell to oversee the transition on defense. That single hiring was the LARGEST reason for our one and done playoff run. So yeah give him credit, but also be objective when it comes to the screw ups. 

Perhaps his strategy is to make the opposing GM's think that he doesn't have a clue then he can attack from another angle that we haven't seen.

Quote: @FLVike said:
Perhaps his strategy is to make the opposing GM's think that he doesn't have a clue then he can attack from another angle that we haven't seen.
I think he enjoys trolling knee-jerk, overreactive fans that have nothing better to do than bitch in August before one game has been played. I give him high marks.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@FLVike said:
I think he enjoys trolling knee-jerk, overreactive fans that have nothing better to do than bitch in August before one game has been played. I give him high marks.

Fans? Overreact? 

Quote: @Greylock said:
@JR44 said:
I think the issue when you hire a guy who had absolutely no GM experience before this position is that he is going to be figuring it out as he goes along.  I think this franchise deserved better and there was better available.  Now we have to hope he figures it out. 
So based on your thinking we should have hired a GM with experience.  But wouldn't it be that if a GM with experience was available most likely he would have been fired by his previous team?  Which would mean he sucked at his previous GM position, but hey lets hire the guy anyway because he has experience.

Another dump on Kwesi post.  Everybody on this board knows how each poster feels about him and seem to take every chance they get to let us all know he sucks.

So the Steelers never should have hired Mike Tomlin, because if he was any good we would have made him our HC.  And we never should have hired O'Connell for the same reason.  And also based on that absurd "logic" we should never sign a free agent, because if they were really any good their current team would have found a way to have kept him.  And we should never have signed a guy like Pace cause if he was really any good each of the other 31 teams who passed on him multiple times would have taken him?  

The truth is there were better candidates, there were many former and assistant GMs who were available who were much more qualified.  But apparently no one is allowed to express their own opinion on a message board unless it is in line with the very vocal majority here, noted.